Do you count vegetables?

Options
I am currently eating 1200 calories but I don't count the vegetables. Wondering if I should start counting. I just feel like vegetables should be consumed often and I shouldn't be concerned with their calories as much (I'm talking cherry tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms...). All in all, I'm taking the weight watchers approach (veggies = 0 points).

Does anyone else not count veggies? If so, are you succeeding in losing weight?

LET ME KNOW PLEASE!

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. Post 'em! It's true veggies don't have as many cals as, say, a huge bowl of alfredo pasta, they do still have calories and count towards your totals.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Count it and log it. Calories from veggies are still calories.
  • marsoe
    marsoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It you're eating/drinking it, you should be counting it.

They're not much, but they are something.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    you really should count everything. tomatoes arent that low in calories.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    i count everything, licks, tastes, bites, all of it, I'm losing fine
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I count all veggies. They do have calories and other nutritional information, ya know.

I understand you're following WW points, so I would suggest that you track all your calories including vegetables for a couple weeks, and then the next couple weeks just the WW points. That way you can see how they compare and work for you.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes, they need to be counted they have calories
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I do but only because it helps me track my veggies. Not much of a veggie lover so it forces me to be accountable.
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Count it! A calorie is a calorie, over and over. :) Hell, an avocado is a veggie and the whole thing is usually over 250 calories. ;)
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    IF it goes in then it gets add. Anything and everything need to be counted
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. If I didn't log my veggies I'd be not logging a couple hundred calories a day. 35 calories of carrots may not seem like as much on it's own, but if you're really eating lots of veggies all day it will add up.
  • joyceellison
    joyceellison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I count mine only because there is a lot of sugar in carrots and cabbage hope this helps
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said... i would count them =)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    vegetables have calories. I count everything. This includes the dressing you may use on the salad, too.
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yep.. what everyone else has said.. count them. If they go past your lips, they still land on your hips.. every calorie counts.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I count them - the impact on calories isn't a lot, but those carbs and sugars soon mount up!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    depends how important they are to a meal...
    like last night i have stew if i didnt log them i would of had a meal of bread stewing steak and oxo... had to have some veg in there... or if i make a soup if i leave out the veg i would of had just a meal of veg stock. But if say i had potatoes and mash with some veg on the side id not count the side because im lazy and cant be bothered to go searching for just a handful of peas...... im not sure iv made total sense here... lol

oh... and i thought weight watchers did have points for veggies? or has that changed? if it has good! i always hated weight watchers for giving stuff like that points!

x
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I count everything I eat and drink. Also important to count fruit as that can be very high in cals and sugar.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Vegetables should be consumed often, but they still have calories. Your body will "count" them, whether you do or not. I don't think you should look at having to count the calories as a reason not to eat them.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't count them at all. I only add them on my MFP, so I can remember to eat them. On average I am eating 50 grams of carb in green veggies per day.