Will I become underweight once I've hit my goal?

Options
I'm 5'10" and my goal is to be 60 kg/130pounds. This is all fine and safe - my doctor was involved when I chose this goal weight.

The problem is: thus far I am down 4 pounds since joining this site - I have actually lost closer to 9.4 because of the lose and relose of waterweight. Thats 9.4 lbs of actual solid I have a deficit of over 33,000 calories since I joined weight loss. I have managed to lose the same 5 pounds 3 times and then eek out a further 0.25 loss before the 5 pounds decide to return to the party. I appear to be carrying roughly 5 pounds of water weight right now, if not more as I lost and relost over 8 pound twice before joining MFP.

So, theoretically two things will happen.
1) I will suddenly lose 5 pounds forever, this water weight will never come back or if it does it will periodically dissappear to show my correct-actual-physical-weight rather than my weight plus a crapload of water. This I will like very much.

2) That water weight continues to mess with me until the day I read that lovely number on the scale. At that time I will return to long term maintenace and the excess water (I estimate that I will have 20+ pounds of it by then) will disappear and I will be shown my real weight of 52kg and be chronically underweight.

I would like to know if anyone has had the same long term water gain and when it came off. I am losing weight for my health as well as my self esteem so I want to be certain that I will not be harmed because of this stupid water/blo

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think you are making this way too complicated. Had a hard time following exactly what you're saying, but I would just shoot for 130-135 range and focus on how you look and feel rather than what the scale says. I've never heard of this "long-term water weight" you speak of.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I would theorize that when you get closer to your goal weight you could look at how you feel and how you look and make more informed decisions. Your weight will naturally vary plus or minus 5 pounds most days depending on water and food, sodium intake, etc. I also believe that (as someone needing to lose weight, not the chronically underweight) it is easier to gain some back than it was to lose it.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    first of all how much do you weigh
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    1) How much do you weigh right now?

2) Are you on any medication that may prevent weight loss?

3) What's your diet like? You might try a specific diet, such as keto, or a juice fast for a week to kickstart things

4) What's your exercise program like? If you're working out like crazy, you might be gaining muscle. Measure yourself and look for changes there, not just on the scale.

5) I'm kind of in the same boat (5'10, going from 165 to 135-140) and I have a calorie deficit as well as keeping an active lifestyle. I have been cutting sugar out of my diet (not much fruit, no refined sugars, very little white bread) and it seems to be working. I'm down to 150 as of today, and I've been doing this for about 3 months.
  • loubeth22
    Options
    You cannot gain 1 pound without consuming 3500 calories over your TDEE, correct?

You cannot lose 1 pound without a deficit of 3500 calories, correct?

I have a deficit of well over 33000 calories or 9.4 lbs. I have lost that and regained roughly 5 pounds of magical weight. I am told this is water/ sodium/hormone weight.

I have another deficit of ~20000 calories and I lose 5 pounds. The 5 pounds of magical water/hormoney/sodium weight - not 5 pounds more.

Acording to all sources (internet/Personal trainers/ Doctors) I have checked with it is not physically possible for me to have somehow gained due to any other reason and therefore this 5 pounds since starting MFP and 10 pound from before MFP is WATER and it has been with me for over 6 months therefore is long term water weight.

I am going to work hard to lose the 36 pounds remaining and I want to know that I will not be harming myself because of this stupid excess water I am dragging around. If you can tell me that this magic weight that has been classified as water weight is not and give me a logical/scientific reasona s to why then please do.

I am concerned that the 15 pounds or more of water will suddenly vanish at a time that I weigh between 130 pounds and 140 pounds. Putting me into the underweight and therefore ineligable to use the blood pressure medication my doctor has decided I need which is why I have the goal of 60kg
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    sorry . . . what?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I am not really understanding the problem and I think you're making this more complicated than it might need to be, but maybe I missed something. If you are so concerned about magically dropping another 15 pounds once you reach your goal weight, why not just change your goal weight to a slightly higher number (ie, 150 lbs) Then...if you magically drop the "long term water weight" you will not be too underweight to take the medication you need.
  • loubeth22
    Options
    I weigh 165.4 pounds as of this morning. 2 weeks ago I was 161.3 and randomly shot up as per usual.

I am not concerned that I have to aim have a deficit of near twice as much as is normal - I am concerned that this is going to turn around and bite me in the butt as i will have lost too much. At my current rate I will hit the perfect BMR for my height and have enough water weight in me that to lose that will push me past healthy and into underweight.

I stopped working out like crazy the third time I gained 6 pounds. Right now all I do I walk/hike for 1-2 hours each day and do yoga stretches on the weekend too. It doesn't seem to change much so I'm going back on the old workout of weights and cardio 4 times a week.

I don't follow a specific diet - I just stay under my calories and make sure I have at least half of all my meals be fruit or veg. If I'm hungry I eat, I don't belive I should go without just because I want to be smaller - I should be able to eat as I would like ot for the rest of my life and still be under. I do log my sodium and compare it against any weight loss and I am on contraception so I know when weight is hormone related or food related.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and my goal is to be 60 kg/130pounds. This is all fine and safe - my doctor was involved when I chose this goal weight.

The problem is: thus far I am down 4 pounds since joining this site - I have actually lost closer to 9.4 because of the lose and relose of waterweight. Thats 9.4 lbs of actual solid I have a deficit of over 33,000 calories since I joined weight loss. I have managed to lose the same 5 pounds 3 times and then eek out a further 0.25 loss before the 5 pounds decide to return to the party. I appear to be carrying roughly 5 pounds of water weight right now, if not more as I lost and relost over 8 pound twice before joining MFP.

1) I will suddenly lose 5 pounds forever, this water weight will never come back or if it does it will periodically dissappear to show my correct-actual-physical-weight rather than my weight plus a crapload of water. This I will like very much.

2) That water weight continues to mess with me until the day I read that lovely number on the scale. At that time I will return to long term maintenace and the excess water (I estimate that I will have 20+ pounds of it by then) will disappear and I will be shown my real weight of 52kg and be chronically underweight.

I would like to know if anyone has had the same long term water gain and when it came off. I am losing weight for my health as well as my self esteem so I want to be certain that I will not be harmed because of this stupid water/blo

wow.. im 5'4" and my goal isnt even 130 so if your asking opinion based if you will be under wt at 5'10" and 130 pounds..?? then I would say YES!! that is 2" from 6ft tall and 130 seems very very low.. MPO
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am concerned that the 15 pounds or more of water will suddenly vanish at a time that I weigh between 130 pounds and 140 pounds. Putting me into the underweight and therefore ineligable to use the blood pressure medication my doctor has decided I need which is why I have the goal of 60kg

No. This isn't going to happen.

Like everyone else says, you're making this way more complicated than it is. Your weight is going to fluctuate a bit naturally, no matter if you weigh 165 or 130. It might fluctuate only 1-2 lbs at 130 rather than the 5 lbs you've been seeing now. But I guarantee you that you won't get down to your goal weight of 130 and then suddenly wake up one day less 15 lbs of water weight, therefore making you 15 lbs underweight. Which is what I think you're asking.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options

wow.. im 5'4" and my goal isnt even 130 so if your asking opinion based if you will be under wt at 5'10" and 130 pounds..?? then I would say YES!! that is 2" from 6ft tall and 130 seems very very low.. MPO

130lbs is right at the bottom end of what is healthy for a woman at 5'10", so it is still "healthy." What she seems to be concerned about is that some how she'll suddenly drop another 15lbs after she's reached that point.

Why not shoot for 135-140 and work on building lean muscle? There are loads of examples of people who have gained weight but LOOK much better because they've focused on strength training. Why not try for that, rather than trying to get your weight down until you're bordering on underweight?