STRONGLIFTS 5X5??????

Options
2»

Replies

• akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I followed SL 5x5 for 20-ish weeks to great effect. I've only just moved on to Wendler 5/3/1.

You won't regret following StrongLifts.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Madcows is really for intermediates

SL is a decent program (I run full on Starting Strength myself), but realize it is geared to quickly blast the strength levels of someone willing to eat a ton of food and gain some fat. You can still run it, but you may stall sooner.

This is a link to a really good beginner program with slower progression that is more easily managed with less food.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    Madcows is really for intermediates

SL is a decent program (I run full on Starting Strength myself), but realize it is geared to quickly blast the strength levels of someone willing to eat a ton of food and gain some fat. You can still run it, but you may stall sooner.

This is a link to a really good beginner program with slower progression that is more easily managed with less food.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

^^^^^^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I keep "wanting" to try it but from what I take you shouldn't be able to squeeze out more than the 5 reps (to fatigue). I can only workout alone and don't understand how you can manage this without a spotter. Does anyone do this alone with no spotter?

I do it without a spotter... when I'm at a point where I feel like if I go down for my last squat, I might not be able to get back up, I just wont do it. I'll probably get it next time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just started it back up again today!! I'm excited. I know I wont progress as much as you're supposed to, though, because I'm only eating at maintenance, maybe a little over. I also only do 3x5 because that's what you do in Starting Strength and Mark Rippetoe would know better than the stronglifts guy. The only reason I don't do that routine is because I'm scared of power cleans :laugh:
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    I was skeered of power cleans too, but i learned them on my own. just start with something light and practice.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just started it back up again today!! I'm excited. I know I wont progress as much as you're supposed to, though, because I'm only eating at maintenance, maybe a little over. I also only do 3x5 because that's what you do in Starting Strength and Mark Rippetoe would know better than the stronglifts guy. The only reason I don't do that routine is because I'm scared of power cleans :laugh:
    I was skeered of power cleans too, but i learned them on my own. just start with something light and practice.

I'm doing a modified version of Starting Strength (pull ups and chin ups instead) just to avoid them. I'll have to get to them eventually, but they intimidate me too. Mark Rippetoe would call me a "*****." LOL

EDIT: Ha! Not allowed to use that word. Think another word for kitty-cat.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Me too. I used the videos Glenn Pendlay has on the California Strength website and a few others and just went really slow and started with the bar. That was just a couple of months ago and I did a set with 115 on Monday. They have quickly become one of my favorite lifts.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I'm doing a modified version of Starting Strength (pull ups and chin ups instead) just to avoid them. I'll have to get to them eventually, but they intimidate me too. Mark Rippetoe would call me a "*****." LOL

EDIT: Ha! Not allowed to use that word. Think another word for kitty-cat.

I went with the pull-up/chinup part because t's part of the physical qualifications for my job so it's a good way to keep up on them. I wouldn't mind trying power cleans though too. I need to eat more though, that's for sure.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

agreed. I've cleaned around 185 with atrocious form before.

I can do 135 fairly well and actually drop into a full clean on occasion. I need to go back to 95 pounds and learn the proper way to do them.
  • panzerduff
    panzerduff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    making huge gains on 5x5. haven't plateaued on any lift. doing a modified SL with added power cleans and some pull up/chin up work.
  • suwonfish
    Options
    I love 5x5 and have used SL/SS logic to my split (as opposed to modifying the basic program).

Loving it and making gains, even on a 300 cal deficit.

Get stuck in, you won't regret it.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 and absolutely love it. However, unless you have the proper equipment it should not be done alone (safety/power rack) as you could seriously injure yourself.

This is my rig
    WorkoutRig.jpg
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I keep "wanting" to try it but from what I take you shouldn't be able to squeeze out more than the 5 reps (to fatigue). I can only workout alone and don't understand how you can manage this without a spotter. Does anyone do this alone with no spotter?

No spotter for me... but I use a power rack for safety. I wouldn't dare risk it without.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

agreed. I've cleaned around 185 with atrocious form before.

I can do 135 fairly well and actually drop into a full clean on occasion. I need to go back to 95 pounds and learn the proper way to do them.

I feel like I do OK up to 135. Did 140 Monday and was kinda like meh. Might as well go for 145 today huh?