Diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Back in Oct. 2010, I was put in the hospital due to complications from Type 2 Diabetes. My cholesterol was at 975, triglycerides were over 4000 and I had an A1c of 16.3. I was released after 5 days, and have been on insulin and oral meds since then.

I've changed my eating habits tremendously, counting calories and carbs with the help of a book called Calorie King and things have been going quite well. My cholesterol is down to 179, triglycerides, still a little high at 320 and my A1c has dropped to 6.4 as of June 2012.

I'm on oral meds and also do the insulin injections before meals and at bedtime. In addition to the medications, I've been on a 1700 calorie diet since April and I've dropped about 20 lbs.

Feel free to add me to your friends list. :)
  • Vinjol03
    Options
    i was diagnosed in 2005 initially with gestational diabeties and then after having my son, it continued. I am currently on metformin - 2 tablets twice a day. i have not really taken this diabeties thing seriously until it started affecting my life. I am determine to change things and have given myself 2 years to loss 5 stones (currently 14st 1lb. I will like to be you friend so we can support each other and say no to diabeties.
  • ShannonLavelleTate
    Options
    My diabetes is so out of control my a1c is a 10 i think. I take insulin (Lantus) metformin and glucovance and i take regluar insulin i'm on a sliding scale. Because of this i have to also take two different blood pressure pills.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Dx'd with T2 this past May with a1c of 6.9.

Am on Metformin 500 twice a day. Test once, 2 hrs PP (insurance only covers 50 strips).
    Ins only covered one DM meeting (spoke to an RD) but not the classes, go figure.

Joined MFP in June after being "careful" since the diagnosis, but not tracking. Last a1c was 6.1. Next appt early Dec and hoping it drops even lower.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My diabetes is so out of control my a1c is a 10 i think. I take insulin (Lantus) metformin and glucovance and i take regluar insulin i'm on a sliding scale. Because of this i have to also take two different blood pressure pills.

Don't get discouraged! Remember though an A1C is a 3 month average. A lot can happen in 3 months if you get diet and exercise under control. I was 14% when I was released from the hospital at the end of August. Using my BG tracker and an A1C chart I can guestimate what my A1C will be by using my average BG readings. For example, for the last week my BG average has been 93mg/dl. If I can maintain that for 90 days that would put my A1C around 4.8% which of course would be amazing and would most likely get me off all my meds.

Here's an A1C chart for you: http://healthy-ojas.com/diabetes/a1c-glucose-chart.html
  • ShannonLavelleTate
    Options

Don't get discouraged! Remember though an A1C is a 3 month average. A lot can happen in 3 months if you get diet and exercise under control. I was 14% when I was released from the hospital at the end of August. Using my BG tracker and an A1C chart I can guestimate what my A1C will be by using my average BG readings. For example, for the last week my BG average has been 93mg/dl. If I can maintain that for 90 days that would put my A1C around 4.8% which of course would be amazing and would most likely get me off all my meds.

Here's an A1C chart for you: http://healthy-ojas.com/diabetes/a1c-glucose-chart.html
  • ShannonLavelleTate
    Options
    Thank you!
  • rakeshberi
    rakeshberi Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am type 2 diabetic since beginning 2008 taking metformin. Beginning 2011 metformin was put up as hitting 12%+. I was then struck down with myositis which resulted in very little activity and more weight being piled on.
    I started training at the beginning of 2012 barely able to lift my arms past my shoulder but desperate to make a change to my lifestyle.
    I have since lost 30lbs and have come off all medication and my results at the last blood test were 7%.
    I did not believe this possible and am happier and more active and think MFP played a big part in my journey both loggin and the fantastic community on here.
    Feel free to add me anyone.