How do you keep from going over on sugar?

Options
Even when I'm eating really well it seems I am always going over on sugar. MFP doesn't differentiate between fruit sugars and processed sugar (in my mind there is a difference). Also there seem to be sugars in even unlikely places... I am always under on carbs but over on sugar. What things should I be eating so I can rid my diet of too much sugar?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    sugar is irrelevant unless u are diabetic or pre diabetic, jus ttrack calories carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked sugar as long as I know most of it is coming from whole foods. No sense in stressing myself over a number. It has not posed a problem with my weight loss. Others may have different opinion and ultimately all you can do is see how your body reacts.
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    sugar is irrelevant unless u are diabetic or pre diabetic, jus ttrack calories carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.

I am not diabetic or even pre diabetic but my body does seem sensitive to some of the same triggers. I am not losing weight despite having my calories goal set at 2#/wi loss so I'm wondering if sugar is to blame...?
  • 256Sept12
    Options
    I always watch my sugar intake...not with natural sugar like in fruits (I eat those with no problem)
    But I don't eat a lot of processed sugar except on special occassion.

Basically...I cut out candy, soda, cakes, cookies...the OBVIOUS culprits with sugar.

If other "regular" foods have sugar in them, I still eat them
    Like spaghetti sauce, bbq sause, ketchup, a little bread, ....

Even though some people disagree, I would rather have splenda than sugar. Bread and butter pickles have sugar....I buy the splenda kind with none.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could you put your diary to public so we can see where your sugars are coming from, and maybe suggest alternatives?

One big culprit is fruit juice, so if you're drinking any of that then it will have a huge impact.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    my sugar isn't too bad. for me, i go over on sodium almost daily. and i can never get enough iron no matter how hard i try, as i don't eat red meat.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I ahve to watch my sugar as well. I am Hypoglycemic and have High Triclycerides so, I have to watch my sugar. BUT, i dont watch it to the point where I dont eat it at all. If most of my sugar is from fruits or "Good" carbs, I dont worry. But, I try to stay away from the "bad" things as much as possible. When your sugar goes over, check to see WHERE they are coming from and adjust accordingly if need be. If my sugars come from the "good" things, I dont worry. But, if not, then I see where I need to watch tomorrow or the next time I eat those things. I get sugar free coffee creamer and anything else sugar free I can...and I use Splenda as well. If it is for coffee or tea, I dont like regular sugar anymore. :-)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i always go over.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I go over on sugar EVERY day. It's mainly from the fruits that I eat.

If I'm over in any category (except calories), I generally don't worry about it as long as it came from healthy foods. Hasn't affected my weight loss yet :)
  • healthyslim54
    Options
    I am a "sugar-craver." I find that I do much better on "real," unprocessed food. I live within 25 minutes of a store that sells bulk grains, beans, etc. and I eat a lot of those, plus a lot of root vegetables and regular vegetables, including green salads and cooked greens. I don't eat many breads or baked goods, and the ones I do eat I bake myself using recipes I find on the internet. I look for recipes using whole grains and sweetened by fruit instead of sugar. Some of my favorite recipe sites are www.straightupfood.com, happyherbivore.com, engine2diet.com, fatfreevegan.com, and www.healthyveganrecipes.net. When everyone else is having a baked item I want, I will eat something made from one of these recipes and feel satisfied.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my sugar, most of it comes from fruit and an apple will put me over. However, if you put your diary to public people can look at it and see what the problem may be.
  • MSm1th
    MSm1th Posts: 3
    Options
    My problem is how to stop the sugar cravings. :-) I keep craving jelly sweets. :-( I do eat a lot of fruit though so at least that is natural sugar and better for me.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    i go over too and also want to know how to cut. in australia they recommend only 2 serves of fruit and 5-6 of veg a day - but a bit of pineapple and banana and i'm over. australia recommends 50g a day for women and 70 for men http://www.ahm.com.au/content/showpagenum.asp?page=9782
    The World Health Organisation recommends added sugars make up no more than 10 per cent of our daily food intake, while new US data suggests we should limit added sugars to 5-10 per cent of our total daily intake. http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2012/08/30/3578541.htm#.UG7VbU3Mhe9