my friends do not support my weight loss

Options

Replies

• bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through all the posts here - first of all don't drop your friends over this as some suggested that's just a step too far - though no harm in making additional friends who are into healthy living. You just got to accept, that these friends, at this point in time anyway are not going to be friends for you in terms of healthy lifestyle choices. I'm sure they can be good friends for you in other ways though!

What you really got to address is your own reactions to negativity. I think if you know what you are about and are confident that the way you go about things is correct then negative things that people say will affect you less. It's when you doubt yourself that you can be got at imo. So to address this try to learn even more about healthy living, but only discuss this with people who are genuinely interested. To address your reactions.. just smile inwardly, shrug off the negativity. If I don't like what someone has said I'll almost act like I hadn't heard to the point where it really doesn't affect me - hence people usually don't give me a hard time as they know they are wasting their time- I almost never leave anyone get to me - my wife being the exception. I'll be honest when I was younger and less confident this wasn't the case, so you can always adapt your responses to suit YOU better!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Friends can make it tough sometimes. I have to tell you, I wouldn't have handled the elitist remark well at all. "If I'm so d*mned elitist why the h*ll am I hanging out with YOU" yeah, that would have been VERY hard to contain, probably would have managed it, but only if I valued their friendship VERY highly.

Don't talk about your weight loss journey with them. If they ask how's it going just say "fine" and move on. If they comment on your food choices just say "it sounded good" and leave it at that. Eventually, if their intelligence and intuitive skills are worthy of college entrance, they'll drop the subject with you and hopefully the next thing they say will be "wow! you look fantastic!"

All the best to you.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Your friends obviously don't get it. You don't have to give up "bad" foods entirely to succeed. In fact, doing that can actually work against you, because you'll crave them more. Yes, you can lose maybe a couple more pounds a month by subsisting on grilled chicken breasts and dry salad every day of your life. But you'll be miserable, and those cravings for the foods you enjoy but are denying yourself could end up fueling a full-on binge.

Example: I like pizza and craft beer. I don't have them as often as I used to, but I don't want to feel guilty about indulging from time to time. When I do, I try to work them into my daily calories. And, if I go a little bit over that day, I don't worry about it because I know I make up for it on other days.

As far as the peer pressure goes... don't let it get to you. YOU know you're doing the right thing for yourself, and if they have a problem with that, it's THEIR problem, not yours.

For those who deride you for the occasional splurge, you can try explaining how you're on a special diet that allows you to have french fries, and that you'd love to tell them about it. And then watch their eyes glaze over when you try to explain how MFP works. :-)
  • LivingHealthyLovingLife
    Options
    Wow, and I thought it was just me. Ultimately you have to do what's right for you. Sometimes you have to trim the fat and if that's in the form of un-supportive friends, so be it. It's beyond me why people who claim to care about us can be so un-caring.
    MFP is an amazing place to find true friends and although there may be some tough love from time to time, you can bet your bottom dollar that we're all on the same page.
    Respectfully tell them how it makes you feel when they pressure you like that and then if they don't respect (words&actions) that, trim the fat baby!
    Good luck with this situation and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I've noticed it appears that the older folks have suggested getting new friends. That suggestion comes from living life long enought to know and understand that a person usually can count on one hand the friends that last a lifetime.

A friend is someone who knows everything about you and still likes you. Some of the folks we call friends are just aquantences. In the world accourding to me, a friend will support the things that are good for you and cause you to grow and live life to the fullest.

Love desires to sacrifice self for the benefit of others; lust (I'm not talking about sexual lust) desires to benefit self and the expense of others. Find out if they love you:happy: or lust you:brokenheart: .
  • violabeatle
    violabeatle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your situation and mine literally sound like the same thing word for word! I go to a school where most upperclass dorms have kitchens with the works: giant fridges, stoves, ovens, etc. I'm also in the middle of a major city so there are countless opportunities for sabotage. Everything my friends ever do revolves around going out to eat junk food. "Let's go get ice cream, lets go pig out on pastries." If I'm in a detemined mood I will often go with them and not carry cash so I'm not tempted. If I know I won't be able to resist, though, I will often make excuses - say I have too much work to do, or I need to "take a nap" (read: go to the gym) - and meet up with them later. Remind yourself that regardless of what they say, YOU are making the right choices, YOU are going to live longer, YOU are going to be healthier!

Please, add me - hopefully we can get through this together!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    ... until they make sabotaging comments about how elitist I'm acting by not enjoying a burger with them. Or, when I bought small fries at McDonald's, they tell me I already fell off the diet bandwagon. ... Why can't they support my choices for a healthier lifestyle? I was wondering if anyone had any tips to stay strong in the face of discouragement. I don't want to be mean but I am ready to be selfish with the things I put into my body and start living for me.

Explain that you need to do this for you, and that you aren't asking anyone else to change a thing about themselves, but you need to make these changes. If they continue in their attempts to sabotage your weight loss, you have a choice to make. Toughen up and ignore the few bad moments and enjoy the rest of the time you spend with them, or find different people to hang out with who are more supportive.

You'll find this kind of sabotage in everything you try to do in life. This is a good time to learn to set boundaries and accept the consequences of doing so. Either pick new friends and deal with the hassle of that, or assert some boundaries with your current ones and deal with whatever level you can get them to accept the boundaries at.
  • princessdani87
    princessdani87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work in an office with some very competitive and very overweight women. I lost 3 stone last year and have gained back about a stone (I wasnt doing it the healthy way).

This week so far I have been cristised for spending too much money on the gym (this was from a SMOKER of all people) laughed at for not eating a muffin and told I would regert not eating a pizza if i died tommorow.

Response:

The gym is an invetment in myyself - I dont set fire to my money only my thighs.

Laughed right back when someone sat on part of their muffin in white trousers (hehe)

If i died tommorow, pizza would have been the last thing on my mind and on the day my life does come to an end, I can confidentley say I did my best to stay around as long as possible.

So ner.ner

Sorry - b*****s in the office who try and bring me down, it only makes me work HARDER.

Keep going guys :) Its all about YOU!
  • princessdani87
    princessdani87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry about those terrible typing errors, slightly irate!
  • Marinayes
    Marinayes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tend not to tell people that I'm "dieting" or even trying to lose weight. If I do, I find that quite a few of them try to undermine me. My husband and children know that I am logging calories (pretty obvious at home) and trying to work out more. No one else needs to know. I am visibly thinner and if anyone asks if I'm on a diet, I truthfully say "no".

I get my support from my family and from MFP.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Question for OP. Are your friends overweight or not? I ask because I think one of two things is going on, but either way, your getting thinner is threatening to your friends. It doesn't speak well for them but hear me out.

If your friends are mostly a normal weight, they may find it comforting to have an overweight friend because in their minds, in group situations each of them feels superior to you. Your losing weight might be threatening the arrangement.

If on the other hand, most of your friends are overweight, they fear that a thinner, more attractive you will eventually reflect back on them and their habits. And they might fear that you will become more attractive and they, in comparison will look less attractive.

As I said, either way it doesn't speak well for them. Real friends celebrate their friends accomplishments and try to help them through tough times. Focus on friends that support your goals and are happy that you are doing something positive for yourself.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    And that is the reason I have kept my journey most to myself - save for my immediate family I live with and my mom. It's too hard to tell someone about what you are doing and then have them judge you for every morsel you put in your mouth, even though you know you can eat whatever in moderation and fit it into your plan. And if I have told someone about my "dieting" it seems to put more pressure on my shoulders so I don't look like an idiot possibly eating a so-called non-diet food in front of them w/o having to go into a long speech about how I can eat it and still lose weight. We are judged enough just by our weight - why have the added stress of them scrutinizing what we are eating.

I would say if your friends are overweight, maybe they are jealous you are actually doing something for yourself and don't want you to change for the better (I think a lot of people do this subconsciously) or else they'll get left behind and be the "fat friend". I have always told my children that the friends they make in high school or college are rarely going to be the friends they have for the rest of their lives. Sad but true in this day and age. Everyone grows up and goes their own ways. If you can handle being with your friends, then you must try to ignore their comments; otherwise, I would say to try to make a new friend who gets where you are coming from.
  • martintanz
    Options
    One more point. I am a guy, so maybe things are just different for guys. When I was in college, I gained weight my freshman and sophomore years. I don't think things are any different than they were 25 years ago. Back then it was greasy cafeteria food, late night pizza, and beer (of course). All that resulted in my ballooning up to (for the time) an all time high of 235 lbs.

Anyhow, after gaining and losing the same 10 or 15 lbs for 3 years, my senior year, I finally got serious about loving weight. One of my housemates was also significantly overweight. He weighed 300 lbs. So being young guys, we basically made a friendly wager, with him spotting me 30 lbs as he was taller and somewhat naturally larger than me. By summer, we both lost a lot of weight. The wager didn't even matter.

So, see if you can get one of your friends to join you.
  • martintanz
    Options

This week so far I have been cristised for spending too much money on the gym (this was from a SMOKER of all people) laughed at for not eating a muffin and told I would regert not eating a pizza if i died tommorow.

OMG! Does anyone really think that in your waning last moments, you would be thinking about pizza, muffins, or cigarettes?! My father died last year from obesity related illnesses, including congestive heart failure, diabetes, and about a half dozen other health related problems.

Because he had one of those life alert buttons and because I retrieved the police report (apparently a law in his state that police show up when a person dies just to rule in or out foul play(, I know the exact moment he died, and how. So, as he was laying on his bedroom floor alone, the life draining out of him, unable to get up, or presumably even breath, was he thinking about how he should have had another slice of pizza before that final, fatal heart attack, or was he thinking of the thousands of pizzas, buffets, or double cheeseburgers he should have skipped to avoid, or delay his ultimate fate?
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Don't feel embarrassed or sensitive about your decision to make healthy choices and exercise!

Whenever anyone has ANYTHING to say about what you're eating or the workout you're about to do, just look them dead in the eye and say 'I LOVE this! I LOVE the way eating well and exercising makes me feel! I sleep better, I look better, I have more energy, and I feel stronger!"

Keep positive, stay strong, and be confident!! You don't need their approval.....just DO what works for you and don't make excuses for it. They will come around! I find that when people are negative, or try to drag you down, it's because misery loves company and they wish they could do the same things for themselves that you are already doing for you!

Maybe over time, you'll even inspire them to live a healthier lifestyle as well :)
  • MaggiesMom3406
    Options
    They are probably jealous that they haven't made the changes you have or that they don't have the drive to do so. It makes them feel better about their bad choices to put you down over yours.
  • UniformMr
    Options
    My friend are supportive, but I'm starting to hear the following:

"Don't lose any more weight."
    "Don't develop an eating disorder"
    "You're fine as you are...stop."

I almost feel I have to lie to them and say that I'm not going to lose any more, just to get them to shut up.

They just don't realize that I'm actually at the weight that I was when I first met many of them. And now I can fit into many of the clothes that I've pushed back of the closet.

I guess my metabolism was pretty lively....cus the weight just flew off very quickly. And they are concerned.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I was just castigated by someone because I worked out, "What do you want to do that for." It was on the tip of my tongue to yell, "AND THAT IS WHY YOU'RE OBESE" but it didn't fell off my tongue.

Baby girl it's not only weight loss or healthy lifestyle living that brings out the saboteurs in friends and family. I also experienced that when I decided to go college when I was 35, boy was I talked about like a dog. Then three months before earning my B.S. in Accountancy, those same friends/family members began giving me unsolicited advice on how to spend the money I would be earning ….on them. I decided I would only “hang” were I was celebrated and not just tolerated. Love me for who I am and what I’m doing; if not, let the door knob hit you were the good Lord split you.
    I can relate to that. That's exactly my situation, I went back to get a Bsc which was news 3 years ago now everybody loves Raymond, lol. They just can't comprehend our willpower. Forward ever dearie.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    If they don't support you, then they really aren't true friends.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I can definintely relate to this! A lot of my issue is with coworkers however. Most of the people I work with are either overweight or obese and I get comments about my new lifestyle all the time. My favorite it "you need to go eat a cheeseburger!" So offensive as I am not a rail, and I still have more to lose. Jealousy can really be awful sometimes, try not to let it get you down!