Night time eating help

Options
Hi guys,
I was hoping someone had some advice for me. During the day I kick butt. I eat within my calories and even have a good number left for the evening but at night I LOSE it. I can eat 1000 calories after dinner alone. Any advice to curb this? It's really killing my efforts. Thanks so much!

Replies

• tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    After my eating is done for the day, I brush my teeth, then I find I'm less likely to nibble through the evening!
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day and eating every 3-4 hours? At night time, a lot of us get cravings but usually because we are bored or stressed maybe from the day. It's okay to eat at night as long as its within calories for your day. Sometimes eating things like popcorn or high fiber snacks helps :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What time do you eat dinner? Where are those 1000 calories after dinner coming from - dessert?

Maybe eat later so there's less time to feel hungry before bed? Brush your teeth. Keep water nearby and drink that when you feel the urge to eat something else. Or, if you really want to snack on something, grab a handful of raw almonds or half sliced apple rather than junky stuff.
  • sadein
    sadein Posts: 40
    Options
    You need a distraction after dinner! Sometimes I eat because I'm bored or I'm doing an activity that I've always snacked while doing. Change up what you do after dinner, save some calories and plan a snack for later. I know, most of the time when I eat like that, there is a reason besides hunger. You need to find that reason and do something different to feed it.

Hang in there!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its really difficult !! I have this issue too, especially during winter when I'm mostly indoors and get bored easily. If you log your days meals so you see if you have extra to play with so you can have that snack at night...plan your dinner to be around 600-700 cals, mostly thats what mine is and you'll still get plenty to eat and feel full (eating the right kinds of things of course) but at least you'll have a few 100 cals for later on :)
    either that or do something in the evenings to stop you thinking about food :)
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies....I think that its definitely emotional eating. I'll eat dinner at like 6-6:30 then I'll just keep eating....like snack things until midnight when I go to bed. I recently got divorced and am living on my own and I definitely think comfort and boredom are BIG players.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I struggle with my evenings as well so I usually eat my last meal around 7pm and have good snacks available for the sweet craving I get. I really enjoy the fiberOne bars and cookies and they are only 90 calories. Once I get my kids to bed I try to get to bed really soon after so I am not up really late and have the urge to continue eating. When I feel the urge to go to the refrigerator getting unbearable I usually try to find something to busy myself, cleaning, laundry, reading, anything I can find to distract myself. I also drink a lot of water flavored with the Mio water enhancer. It is sweet and makes me feel like I am getting more sweet stuff without the calories. Everyone is different, you will find what works best for you.
  • lcfitnesscraze
    Options
    This happens to me too. It's boredom, emotional eating, etc. I find that the later I stay up the more likely I am to keep eating since I get so tired and my motivation disappears. Make sure you're eating enough during the day so that your body really isn't craving more calories at night and try to find something to reward yourself with at the end of the day instead of food like a good book, a bath, a pedicure, etc. It's definitely easier said than done. I'm starting an accountability group because I could use the extra support. You're more than welcome to join! I get so frusterated rocking my workouts during the day and falling a few steps back because of bad food choices. I've decided it's time for a change! Connect with me on my fb page if you're interested! www.facebook.com/lcfitnesscraze
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    If boredom is part of the problem then maybe try doing a craft, knitting or sewing or whatever. You'll be concentrating on that and plus your hands will be full.
  • Rain36
    Rain36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found myself doing the same thing the last couple of nights but realised that I wasn't eating properly during the day or having a "proper" dinner so I was never really full but then started snacking and didn't stop.

I'm hoping now that I've realised what's wrong I can put it right. So far today I've had breakfast and lunch and feeling pretty good so fingers crossed for tonight.
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    that is the best idea ever! never thought of it! thanks!
  • wishiwerefit
    Options
    I used to eat in secret from the fridge.. And I didn't even know why. Try brushing your teeth with mint toothpaste
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    If boredom is part of the problem then maybe try doing a craft, knitting or sewing or whatever. You'll be concentrating on that and plus your hands will be full.
    I agree with this, find something to keep your hand occupied. Also are you getting enough protein during the day? I find that I tend to over eat if I don't get enough during the day. Friend me if you'd like I love to encourage :)
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, especially when I am watching TV, I have to constantly snack. Now I clean my teeth and go to bed with a book rather than sit watching tv. It works for me :)
  • oosaah
    oosaah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey! For once, I've actually got some advice here :) I get the late night munchies REALLY bad. And I'm almost always craving sugar or salt. So, I found when it's a salt craving one of those little 20 calorie packs of instant miso soup in a mug of hot water always does the trick. I think the hot water definitely helps to give you a 'fuller' feeling. Then, if I'm craving sugar, I've got a couple little tricks:

- a sour green apple reaally thinly sliced with just a tiny bit of honey smeared out over each slice and a dusting of cinnamon on top. (i like to follow this with a square or two of organic chocolate... yum). The thin crunchy slices and the sweet honey always end up feeling pretty indulgent (the trick is to really LET yourself enjoy it, don't just go thinking it's just an apple, because it's not! you spent at least FIVE minutes preparing it. it's basically a GOURMET desert. haha)

- sliced strawberries with a little bit of low fat cream cheese (and honey if you'd like to make it even FANCIER). I think I just enjoy slicing things. Plus, when it's on a little plate all pretty red and white with fancy honey drizzles all over it, you just FEEL GOOD eating it. How food looks is important to me. PLUS, it's freakin delicious. I love me some strawberries and cream cheese.

- a blueberry muffin. Okay, that sounds worse than it is, but it's a carby and deliciously thick snack that only costs you like 120 calories and makes you feel warm and happy inside. There's a recipe for them floating around here if you search for it, but if you have trouble finding it feel free to shoot me a message and I'll type it out for you :)

Okay, those are my favorites. Along with occasional fruit + almond milk smoothies if I don't care about waking up my house mates ;) I hope I helped at least a little!

Good luck! x
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I snacked on raw veggies at night. No dressing and no dip.
  • dmcgee
    dmcgee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I keep Swiss Miss hot chocolate sugar free on hand. In the evenings when I'm watching tv it hits me. I can drink a cup of this and feel full and satisfied. It works for me....might work for you!
  • DanceInTheRain77
    DanceInTheRain77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when we think we're hungry- were actually thirsty. I would suggest drinking a ton of water and wating a half hour to see if you are still hungry.

I would also suggest distracting yourself. Drink a bunch of water and then go and do something fun that you enjoy.

But if you find that you REALLY ARE that hungry after dinner, I would stick to veggies. They are low in sugar and will fill you up. :]

If you eat a night time, sometime you can have a hard time falling asleep because of the chemicals your body releases to help you digest the food.

Also this might sound a little strange- but if you try some meditation- that can work wonders. If you visualize yourself eating the food and smelling the food and tasting the food nice and slowly- it's almost like you ate the food.

Good luck! :]
    I know you can do it!!!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I would say, eat a lil later, and go to bed earlier. if your eating dinner at 630p, and up til 12a - your body is going to naturally be hungry again - but that late you're not going to be physically wanting to prepare anything healthy.

plus if you are going to bed that late, are you getting enough sleep - just saying, when i don't get enough sleep i do seem hungrier in general...

brushing the teeth might help too, it always prevents me from my morning OJ when i forget & brush them first DOH!!:angry:
  • Divajj914
    Divajj914 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It sounds strange but tea helps. The heat from hot tea helps to quench your appetite. Squeeze a little lemon and the acid can help any cravings... I too have a hard time with this and don't always follow my own advice but I'm trying!

The hot cocoa idea above works the same way!