Breastfeeding

kellejean
kellejean Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Do I record breastfeeding as an exercise? I mean I'm burning calories. And based off my goal it calculated 1200 calorie intake but if I am nursing I think I need more than that? Anyone?

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    most of us moms calculate in about 300 extra calories for breastfeeding - try and find our info in recent posts.

TOPIC: Losing Baby Weight
  • If you are nursing exclusively, then you should be adding approximately 500 calories to your day. As you get less feedings, you can drop it down.. Most recommend eating between 1500-1800calories. Follow your appetite and keep an eye on your supply. And drink lots of water! :)
  • I haven't officially added it to my MFP, but I do watch the calories and make sure I get at least 1500, as the recommendation seems to be 1500-1800, depending on how much fat stores you have. I have enough fat stores that I figure I can get away with 1500. :P My MFP goal calories is 1730, and I try to eat my exercise calories. My baby is 9 months old, 20 lbs, and hardly eating any solids. Very good for weight loss! I'm going to miss those extra 300-500 calories when he gets older. LOL.

In your case, since MFP has you doing 1200 calories, I'd probably add it in as an exercise. 1200 is awfully low for a nursing mama.
  • I do add about 191 calories for breastfeeding. If you are exclusive as said above count 500 and drink a ton of water. I adjust every so often if I notice my milk is low. You're baby will let you know about that too. You'll find what works for you as you go along.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    I added it in under cardio,you can do a search,like you are looking for a specific food...I put in 450,I'm afraid if I put any lower than that I will not get enough nutrition.I still lose weight every week,and baby is EBF:smile:
    Good luck!
  • Yes I do nurse full time but she is now 8 1/2 months so eating table food now so only eating 4 to 6 times a day so only added like 350 calories or so..but thanks that helps! ;o)
  • So my program will still work out okay if im eating over what my goal is for the purpose of nursing? Sorry this is my first day at this! ha!
  • I would just like to say Hello my best friend and I just joined this site tonight.
  • Oh and when it says you have 500 extra calories, what the heck does that mean, am i supposed to log it a certain way or is it just letting me know that?
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Should work just fine,I try to eat my exercise calories and the extra 450,and I still lost 10 pounds last month.
    Don't stress,it will all work out:flowerforyou:
  • I was one of those people that nursed and didnt lose any weight at all, but then i found out i had a thyroid issue, fixed that, and then lost like 10lbs right away, but still i lose 5lbs and then i stay at that for like a month.. i try but my weight seems to stay at one spot.. im sure ill get there but frustrating. Thanks for all the feedback!
This discussion has been closed.