Running in winter...please help!

Options
I started running in Feb of this year. I have fallen in love with it, maybe even addicted since ive done 8 5k's and 2 mud runs since April and have 3 more in the next 6 weeks! Anyway, I live in WI and it gets cold and snowy and icy and I am wondering how to run in something like this. I usually run between 8-10 miles a week just for fun around my neighborhood. I am really scared of slipping and falling and breaking something. I am lucky for the fact that I can run on a treadmill if I have to but its not my first love and would be for exercise only. I see people running around here in winter but just don't know how they are doing it to be safe and not slip. Any advice would be welcome. BTW, when I ran the first time in Feb it was outside but we had a super mild winter and the sidewalk was completely cleaned off!

Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump....I'd like suggestions from experienced runners too. I started C25k in June of this year and I am HOOKED on running!! LOVE IT! :):):)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Winter must be coming, it's been a popular topic!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758694-cold-weather-running

If you dress properly for it (layers) running in the winter can be a joyful experience. Depending on how icy it gets you may want to invest in YakTrax but definitely you want to watch foot placement (think shortening your stride to remain vertical!)
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling your pain, I started runing in Feb, and we had a really mild winter also... I also had access to a track that I don't have access to anymore. I've been looking-into YakTraks ( https://www.yaktrax.com/ ) as a possibility. I'm also worried about what to wear!
  • nicholeuf
    nicholeuf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking the same thing! I'm a florida girl living in northern georgia and I don't know what to expect if we get a real winter!
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Winter must be coming, it's been a popular topic!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758694-cold-weather-running

If you dress properly for it (layers) running in the winter can be a joyful experience. Depending on how icy it gets you may want to invest in YakTrax but definitely you want to watch foot placement (think shortening your stride to remain vertical!)

This is a good post ^. And the YakTrax are definitely helpful in the snow/ice. Good clothing helps - and also a plan to deal with overheating. Likely you will want to start out your run dressed warmly - but once you get going you really warm up quickly (even in 15 degree temperatures) so being able to open a jacket and still stay warm is very helpful.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I'll be watching this.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I live in Ohio, we usually get pretty cold winters. Last winter was awesome but I don't hold hope for 2 in a row! I have run in winter and snow before though. Invest in some running tights and shirts made for winter. As far as slipping etc, roads are usually kept clear so I run on the road. I run on snow no problem, but I don't run outside if there is a lot of ice. You may want to change to afternoon or evening running verses first thing in morning, I generally find the roads ae clearer then in my area. If all else fails can you get to a treadmill?
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada. It's gonna be terrible, but I want to run all winter.
    Gonna buy a pair of trail running shoes and then try Yak Traks for when its super bad out.
  • jolivier43
    Options
    Very good advice from BrianSharpe. I live in Canada and do tons of running, all seasons, things to consider are those YakTrax. They work. Dress in thin layers, wear thin mittens (not gloves as your fingers will still get cold), a thin toque to keep your ears covered. Invest in some Merino smartwool running gear, pricey but very worth it. I am yet to find any running garment that has a better weight to warmth ratio and very durable. Bodyglide on your nose to keep it from getting frostbitten if its very cold out. The best advise I ever got was plan on it being 10C hotter than it says on the weather channel when you are leaving the house. This accounts for your body heating up during your run and prevents you from over-dressing. Stay away from cotton in the winter, it absorbs moisture but does not move it away from you skin like running gear does and this includes your socks. Stay away from cotton, period.

If its horrible out, snowing flying everywhere and low temp. Head to your nearest gym and run on the treadmill.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm an Ohio person and I ran the entire winter without fail...rain or snow! I got a set of Wintertrax for $13 and they are sooo awesome! Check them out:
    http://cozywinters.com/shop/wintertrax.html?utm_source=base&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=merchantadv&zmam=61752597&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=wintertrax&gclid=CKWcqrS26rICFYZaMgodEk8Acw

I like them way better than yaktrax and they're cheaper. I found on of our metropark trails that is often plowed in the winter so I always had a place to go.

Have Fun!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone. So much useful advice. Im not so scared anymore, seems like its totally doable! Can't wait to try it now! :love:
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that I have some specific clothing for cold weather running where the front of the garment is more wind protective and warm and the back has more breath-ability. I like the brand Sport Hill for cold weather running but I'm sure there are other makers who design this kind of running gear. The design helps keep my back from getting super sweaty - but your mileage may vary. It may be a challenge for some to wear Sport Hill they are rather athletically cut - which is another reason I like the clothing but it will not work for everyone. And I have nothing to do with Sport Hill.