How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Every week..... And it hasn't moved, yet my pants are falling off me .... So *kitten* the scale!!!!
    :drinker:
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've actually just started weighing myself and so far really only doing it every two weeks.
  • byrnette
    byrnette Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Every single day. A few articles in the new york times last january drove this decision for me. Here is an excerpt from the article about a group of people who have lost weight and managed to successfully keep it off (a very small percentage of all people who lose weight which was the very depressing jist of the article entitled "The Fat Trap" New York Times magazine January 1 2012....

[The National Weight Control Registry tracks 10,000 people who have lost weight and have kept it off. “We set it up in response to comments that nobody ever succeeds at weight loss,” says Rena Wing, a professor of psychiatry and human behavior at Brown University’s Alpert Medical School, who helped create the registry with James O. Hill, director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado at Denver. “We had two goals: to prove there were people who did, and to try to learn from them about what they do to achieve this long-term weight loss.” Anyone who has lost 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year is eligible to join the study, though the average member has lost 70 pounds and remained at that weight for six years.

Wing says that she agrees that physiological changes probably do occur that make permanent weight loss difficult, but she says the larger problem is environmental, and that people struggle to keep weight off because they are surrounded by food, inundated with food messages and constantly presented with opportunities to eat. “We live in an environment with food cues all the time,” Wing says. “We’ve taught ourselves over the years that one of the ways to reward yourself is with food. It’s hard to change the environment and the behavior.”

There is no consistent pattern to how people in the registry lost weight — some did it on Weight Watchers, others with Jenny Craig, some by cutting carbs on the Atkins diet and a very small number lost weight through surgery. But their eating and exercise habits appear to reflect what researchers find in the lab: to lose weight and keep it off, a person must eat fewer calories and exercise far more than a person who maintains the same weight naturally. Registry members exercise about an hour or more each day — the average weight-loser puts in the equivalent of a four-mile daily walk, seven days a week. They get on a scale every day in order to keep their weight within a narrow range. They eat breakfast regularly. Most watch less than half as much television as the overall population. They eat the same foods and in the same patterns consistently each day and don’t “cheat” on weekends or holidays. They also appear to eat less than most people, with estimates ranging from 50 to 300 fewer daily calories. ]
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm normally a once or twice a week person but have got a bit obsessive about the scales lately so I doing a 30 day challenge. Make sure that my calories average out over the week to a good defecit (I tend to eat a little less during week and an extra couple 100 cals at the weekend). I am going to do cardio or strength 6 days a week........ and not get weighed until the end of the 30 days! Only started yesterday so a long way to go but I like to set myself little challenges like this.
  • Glasgow91
    Glasgow91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I find it interesting to compare weight vs calorie intake/exercise and see the fluctuation day by day (Sad I know). Say I weighed myself once a week on Saturday mornings but went out for beers & a curry on the Friday, it'd be demotivating to see that weight on me - and have to a whole week to get a more genuine reading - when in reality I'd have weighed much less the morning before.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I was measuring only once per week.

In the interim, I am back to weighing each morning (but I only count my Sunday AM reading. I am also participating in a program where we weigh in once per week). I have been on a high energy output cycle here recently and with the high intensity and a somewhat higher calorie consumption, I have been tracking to see how much variability occurs when I'm operating at this higher output state.

The answer seems to be, not as much variation as I have seen in the past while losing weight.

I read the NYT magazine article referenced above "The Fat Trap." In some ways, very depressing. But I have known for awhile that this is a long haul proposition and I really like being back into a clothes size that fits my self-image of what I have looked like in the past and where I want to remain.

Generally speaking, there have been no huge alterations to my diet though I now track food when I did not before (only in the past year). Maybe measuring each day and being mindful is what is required on the food consumption side. Being dedicated to an exercise routine is the other part of it AND it is a routine in doing something that I enjoy (and in how I challenge myself).
  • Tnia
    Tnia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Every 2 weeks!
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I weigh once every morning after peeing, in the nude.

But I'm one who doesn't get discouraged by the scale not going down that day. I just shrug and say, "maybe tomorrow" and keep on track with my docs' plan.
  • tmejias
    tmejias Posts: 11
    Options
    Atleast once a week but like some of us, we cant wait to see the numbers on the scale to go down, so we weigh ourselves everyday, remember to weigh in the morning right after you take your first pee, I know gross but it's true!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Tnia
    Tnia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    everyday
  • csfurtado9
    Options
    Whenever I weigh myself too often and it stays the same I usually get pretty sad so I probably do it once a week now