What size of pants to wear when you're "in between" sizes

Options

Replies

• amaflynn
    amaflynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Congrats on losing the weight! I think buying some new smaller clothes is the way to go, if you try on a few brands, you may even find one that fits well in the smaller size, since every brand sizes slightly differently. You can also move the button over on the pants if it's the waist that is a bit snug. As long as you are still comfortable it should be fine to wear them a bit snug.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A little baggy looks better. Nothing is worse than seeing someone who tries to put 10 lbs of @#$@# in a 5 lb bag.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm in between sizes right now and it drives me insane! Right now I'm wearing the bigger pairs because I haven't bought tigther jeans yet!
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had that problem today. I think too small looks desperate (and feels uncomfortable!), so I always go with the bigger size and use this:

untitled-1.jpg

It's basically an adjustable elastic band with two clips that attach to your belt loops and cinches in the waist.
  • healthyversionofme
    healthyversionofme Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    inbetween 12-14...13 in juniors too big...12 in all depts to small...i wear the baggy and hubs hates it lol!
  • aaa5810
    Options
    Agreed! Wear a belt until you can fit into them. I have this problem too, but I don't get rid of clothes until I --for sure-- no longer fit into them.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what they look like, nothing looks worse than pants so tight they cause camel toe and muffin top. If you get undressed at the end of the day and you have a red indent around your middle, your pants are too tight. IF you can fit into the "snug" pants and not have everything spill over the top, then congrats you probably aren't in between sizes!
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There is something really funky between size 16 regular size to 18 plus to 20 plus - I swear there is 2 regular sizes wthin each size gap. If you are caught in that vortex, I'd say stick with the bigger size until you can get into the other. The lower sizes don't seem to have that weird size gap so go for the snugger pair if you are 14 and under.

That "zone" is right where I am

I'm stuck in this zone too, the sizing is terrible. I'm right around an 18 but and 18 seems to be completely different fitting from brand to brand. What I've been doing is stalking my thrift stores for 18's and taking about 6 pairs in the fitting room at a time to find one that fits. Jeans at my thrift store are about $4/pr so I don't mind buying a few as "in-between" until I can fit in the next size down.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i'm between a 16&18 right now.. i wear a lot of leggings and sweatpants because jeans have gotten too stressful!!!! lol
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm staying in my saggy pants. LOL Then in a couple of weeks I'm going to try jeans that I outgrew, a while ago. If they fit then, AWESOME. If not, then I still have something to work hard for.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Just wear a belt if you can... Or get cheapo pants at a thrift store that you don't mind donating in a couple months. It's too hard to know exactly what size pants you'll feel best in once you're done losing weight. I thought I'd be an eight, turns out I'm a 4-6.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh and maybe pick up a set of these button extender thingers, they'll give your pants a bit more room in the waist until you can fit them properly:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Fit-Button-Deluxe-Set/dp/B0037JRZCC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1349451027&sr=1-1&keywords=perfect+button

My dollar store sells them for a buck! (can you tell I'm frugal?)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Try different brands. My size 4 Gap jeans are getting very baggy. Size 4 Michael Kors jeans are getting a little baggy. My size 4 New York & Co jeans are snug but getting better. The snug jeans make my butt look better but I refuse to have a muffin top. So, if I'm wearing a fitted top I go with Gap or MK. If I'm wearing a loose top, NY&Co.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    None ... I find skirts and dresses transition easier than pants.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It depends on how snug the smaller size is & if I am going out. If I'm just hanging out at home, the bigger size with either a belt or pinned. The smaller size helps remind me not to eat too much, but I also prefer to be comfortable...lol
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I wear whatever feels more comfortable.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    It depends on how tight is the tight pair of pants but I would definitely go with the bigger. I still wear all of my pants that are at least a size too big but I am not ready to commit to a smaller size.
    Or you can wear a size down with a longer top that covers unflattering parts.
  • shaunaruiz
    shaunaruiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tighter for me! And to save money in between I'm shopping at thrift stores!
    Love those thrift stores :) Same here.
  • Marythemommy
    Marythemommy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wear control top underwear, so I don't have to worry about muffintops when I wear smaller size pants.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've gotten to the point where my belt won't even hold up the extra room anymore lol. I bough a few pairs of in between to get me through. 34's, my 38's can get out of my closet with my 36's!!!! Don't want them, don't want to be able to go back to them. Besides a few sentimental shirts my XLs are gone too. I am ok with buying larges, as I don't intend to go down to a medium. I'm slowly giving them all away to friends and family. :)