Listing weight loss as an accomplishment in your resume/CV?

Options
joe7880
joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
Do you think it's a good idea to share this information? I mean, losing weight does require many skills that would be helpful in many jobs like dedication, being detailed oriented (counting calories), hard working (exercise), etc. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Um, no.

Unless you're going for a job in the fitness field, but that would be something brought up in an interview. Not to go on your resume/CV.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post???

Either way, it gives me an opportunity to ask a question I've been wondering for a while. I know a CV is basically a resume, but what does CV stand for?

NM. Google and Wikipedia to the rescue.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Yeah list your waist size at the top
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would file the resume. Honestly, and even though I am on the tail end of my journey and know how hard it is. If it's on your cv, it gets trashed.

@rml http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's a good idea to share this information? I mean, losing weight does require many skills that would be helpful in many jobs like dedication, being detailed oriented (counting calories), hard working (exercise), etc. What are your thoughts?

absolutely not!
    It's pretty hard for employers to weed through resumes at it is, don't clutter it up any more. You do want to make yourself stand out somehow, but not like this. My husband interviewed one chick simply because she played women's football.
    He didn't interview someone because 2 other people in the office had the same name.
    He trashes hundreds due to typos, grammar errors, or they just plain suck and it's a standard one they send to all companies.

he's trying to hire someone in a specific location, he gets resumes from people who live time zones away! "just in case you change your mind" wha? hellos! You can't touch computers in LA if you live in Nebraska!

when ever you send a resume, make sure you list the skill set they need first. If they need a java person, don't list java 3rd or even last. If you tailor your resume to the person you send it to, they'll take you more seriously.

Listing weight loss, imo of listening to my hubby gripe for months, says you don't have anything better to list.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You have to remember, most people still believe weight loss is magic and happens only with a special combination of food, meal timing, supplements, and swimming pools full of green tea. So unless you're applying to the circus as a magician, it will have little meaning.
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    absolutely not. but then again i hate the whole hobbies/interests section of the CV anyway so i may be biased.
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As someone who's done a lot of hiring...

I'd laugh my a** off and then throw away the resume immediately.

Actually I might hold on to it for a bit...just to show my co-workers.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    lol
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    absolutely not. but then again i hate the whole hobbies/interests section of the CV anyway so i may be biased.

Agreed. I could care less if on your off time you spend hours making lolcatz pictures and knitting sweaters for your (most likely dead) cat.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that? Can i list that I had my babies without pain meds? NO.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I like to include when I'm regular. Employers like punctuality.
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I could care less if on your off time you spend hours making lolcatz pictures and knitting sweaters for your (most likely dead) cat.

yup, if i like you enough when i interview you, maybe i'll ask what you like to do. otherwise, keep that *kitten* to yourself.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Someone asked what CV stands for:

Curriculum Vitae
    Latin
    List of your Life
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    :noway:

NO WAY.

in an interview perhaps you can share it as an example of your determination and resiliency etc.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a personal trainer or nutritionist, or maybe something in health foods or something, then no, it has no relevance. You will have to demonstrate your dedication, detail orientation and hard work some other way. If you have a "hobbies" section in your resume, then perhaps list running or weightlifting or whatever you do.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put it on a resume. It is not relevant to your job experience or education. That said, should you be in an interview and they ask you the fun question of "What is one of your greatest accomplishments in life?" I think it would be a safe answer for that which would then show your dedication, etc.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
  • MissusLAAC2268
    Options
    Um, no.

Unless you're going for a job in the fitness field, but that would be something brought up in an interview. Not to go on your resume/CV.

I agree with this. When I lost my first 10 pounds, that was a great accomplishment for me, and I mentioned it during my interview.