Show me dramatic weight loss over 50 years old

Options

Replies

• 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post the pics in the forum stream. But you can view my profile if that helps. The pic with the hubs and kids was around 48-50 years old. Weighed 255 pounds at age 50. Currently 57 and weigh 153. Some of that weight was lost on here and some prior. It can be done!
  • cowboy48
    cowboy48 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't have any before and afters but I started the day after my 49th birthday at 320 pounds and ran a 1/2 marathon on my 50th birthday at 175 pounds. It can be done. Just takes perserverance and a lot of hard work.
  • 1dresch
    1dresch Posts: 19
    Options
    Sorry, no pictures. I'm 53 and started this journey 53 weeks ago, shortly after we became empty-nesters. I started at 212+ and today I weighed in at 154. My husband has been very supportive and joined in about 2 months after I started and has lost 41 pounds. He's 54. It's been a wonderful experience. I always thought I'd just be another large, old(er) woman with the same genetic weight disposition as my mom, aunts, grandmother, sisters, etc. That's not the case. I also worried that if I "dieted", I'd be hungry all the time. Again, not the case. I work out with various activities 5 or 6 days a week (biking, walking, running, eliptical, treadmill, weights...whatever!). I never belonged to a gym in my life until a year ago. I started slow. 10 to 15 minutes on the treadmill. My entire theory was just to move more and become more fit. As I started to lose some weight, I started to watch what I was eating. "Eat less, move more." Best part is, I have incredible support from my husband and children. When I exercise, I hear my daughter's voice telling me, "You got this, Mom!" You know what? I DO!
    Just start wtih something little and gradually increase whatever it is you like to do. Anyone, any age can do this. Just start slow and keep at it. With a little success, you'll want more and more and more. It's never too late to start.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am 63 years old. At my highest weight I was 248. I am now 173, so I am down 65 pounds to date. (sorry, no pictures). I have another 30 pounds to go but this site has been a tremendous help to me...I have lost 35 pounds since joining here. The support is phenomenal. I no longer need blood pressure medication, my sleep apnea is gone and I no longer have acid reflux disease. I shop in the regular clothes section and not in the plus size. I can walk for miles without fatigue. Although still overweight, I am no longer obese. It CAN be done, but it will not happen overnight. Slow, steady loss is working for me and I will never go back. If your friend joins this site, makes some friends and follows the program she will lose. Feel free to look at my profile and food diaries, they are open to all. And when your friend joins, she is welcome to add me as a friend.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Turning 58 tomorrow! It's taken 2 years to lose almost 70 lbs. but I'm not complaining! Happy as a clam :)
  • andreamkelly
    Options
    I am 53 years old have have lost about 65 pounds since May and my husband is 57 and has lost almost 100 pounds since April. We are both exercising and working out. I have gone from a size 26 to a size 12/14 and my husbands is down from a tight 4x to a 2x. We both want to lose another 50 pounds or so. Our last before/during pictures are here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/727679-1-2-way-there

If she joins MFP, have her friend me and we can spur each other on.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Very kind and supportive of you to do this for her :smile:
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    23stbg5.jpg

Fingers crossed. Hoping this posting photo thing works. OOOOOOOOps my age is showing.

I'm 49 and have lost 90lbs to date. If the photo above appears...it shows progress at heaviest, 50lbs down and then 80lbs down.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Thanks everybody! This is perfect! Congrats to all of you! :drinker:
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Bump because I was just having this conversation with someone the other day and I'm looking forward to seeing some amazing people!
  • barky586
    Options
    I've lost 180 pounds at ages 45 to 46....pics in profile.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I will be 64 in a few days and I have lost 77 pounds. I lost 35 pounds using Weight Watchers before starting here at MFP in March. I have lost 42 pounds since then. It really just takes a made up mind, eating healthy food in the right amounts, and moving more no matter what age you are. Tell your friend she can do it and it is really worth the effort it takes. She will feel so much better and be able to do so many more things and enjoy life so much more!
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. This morning, I reached 50 pounds lost with about 200 more to go. A little voice in my head was telling me, "you're never going to make it. Give in and have that stack of pancakes you've been thinking about." Then I saw the stories of all the folks, mostly older than my 51 years, who have lost a LOT more than I have. And I now know that I have the strength and determination to see this through and lose the remaining 200 or so pounds that MUST come off. You're all fantastic for what you've accomplished. And a terrific role model for me.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    NEVER, EVER Believe what 'They' tell you about losing weight (or doing anything else!) after 50!! Our Journey may be diffrent than a Twenty Year Old's but it is just as WONDERFUL and REWARDING. The only thing stopping her is HER. I will be 55 on October 21 and I have kept my weight off for 2 years this month.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am 56 years old and have lost 99lbs in a little overs a year - so I was 55 when I started and reached my goal weight a week before my 56th birthday. The visuals are clear in my profile pic
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am nearly there. I want to lose another 42lb. I did it solely with weightlifting AND I need a knee replacement so am in major pain all the time - really, if I can do it then your friend can I am sure. It's all in the mind!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am 60; 61 in five weeks. So far I have lost 25 kilos (54 pounds) since Christmas 2011. It hasn't been difficult; MFP is the best thing I have ever done, I have learnt so much, and the logging makes you think about it what you eat. Having friends to cheer you on helps and we are not alone in our aims and struggles. A little bit of exercise, a little bit of success, and your friend will be on her way :-) I have some pics on my profile if you want to have a look.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!