Help me resist bagels!

Options
A coworker brought in an assortment of NYC bagels and cream cheese today (and left them right across the hall from me - the smell is killing me!) - but I woke up at 5.30 this morning to workout and don't want to spoil my day so early. Help me resist!

Replies

• asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If you just HAVE TO, then rip the doughy guts out and just eat the outer layer with just a schmere of cream cheese!!!
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Have half of one! Depriving yourself is for the birds! Have a half, but make sure you fit it into your calories! :) For instance, I've been craving a bagel all week, so I'm going to have one in place of my normal lunch. It will fit into my calories and keep me full until my 3pm snack. As long as I'm not doing it every day, no harm done!
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    can you MOVE the bagels ?

vicks or flavored chapstick on our upper lip to kill the smell ?

look up the calories,,,,, still smell good ?

Got mini bagels in your grocery store ???

now if I just could learn to take mini bites ..... sigh.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: those bagels are not your food. You did not buy them, as you did not intend to eat a bagel today. Continue on with your day, eating what you did buy/make/plan to eat.

Those bagels are not for you.

Happy Friday :flowerforyou:
  • Eisey127
    Options
    Great idea, scooping out the inside and add a little low fat cream cheese...I'm going to do that with my next craving which will be soon, just bought a bag of whole wheat mini bagels, lol
  • NYAnnie33
    NYAnnie33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pop in some mints or gum. Sometimes that kills any sort of craving I have bc mint doesn't go well a lot of things.
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    HAVE SOME!

Go grab one of those bagels, slice it in half, now cut that into quarters, put a little bit of cream cheese on one of the quarters, take it back to your desk and enjoy.

I do not believe that I can make the changes I have made in my life and then deny even small portions of the foods I enjoy. I love pizza, beer, hot wings etc and just have to enjoy very small portions of them.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Just add some swiss cheese and bacon.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    We get them every Wednesday. I cut one in half and throw half away!
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    won't help right now - but next time you are shopping look for Thomas' Bagel Thins - same bagel flavor, just about 100 calories for a thin bagel - really works on my bagel cravings - and half the calories of two slice of bread!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Build it into your calories for the day and have one. Or half. The less I deprive myself of the foods I love, the easier it is to stay on track. :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE GUY FACTORY WORKERS IN THE MIDDLE TO MAKE THE HOLE?? :wink: :noway: THINK ABOUT IT HARD! :sick:
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    tell yourself "i DO NOT eat bagels"

(people are more likely to stick to things of which they've declared themselves. I like "I do NOT skip workouts!")

Also, I can forward you my fat pictures - bagels helped me get there...
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    HAVE SOME!

Go grab one of those bagels, slice it in half, now cut that into quarters, put a little bit of cream cheese on one of the quarters, take it back to your desk and enjoy.

I do not believe that I can make the changes I have made in my life and then deny even small portions of the foods I enjoy. I love pizza, beer, hot wings etc and just have to enjoy very small portions of them.

this is good *kitten*, too. i saved myself 300+ calories this morning because I DO eat donuts, but I do NOT eat whole donuts =D
  • BRenkwell
    BRenkwell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    won't help right now - but next time you are shopping look for Thomas' Bagel Thins - same bagel flavor, just about 100 calories for a thin bagel - really works on my bagel cravings - and half the calories of two slice of bread!

Bagel thins, TO ME - aren't nearly as awesome as NYC bagels. They don't have that thick "need to be ripped through" outside and are more like bread shaped like a bagel. It's depressing. I wish they'd make REAL bagels in a thin form.

OP - I agree with having a 1/4 of a bagel. It's Friday and you REALLY want one. Depriving yourself of things you want is a quick way to not stick to your healthy lifestyle long.
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Pop in some mints or gum. Sometimes that kills any sort of craving I have bc mint doesn't go well a lot of things.

Gum works great - especially really minty gum. Bagels + minty gum = not appetizing anymore.

Or just have a half of a half depending on your calories. Ask yourself... is this bagel worth it?

I sat in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot last week.... just wanting to go in there to get a pumpkin muffin. I LOVE those things. Wait all year for them. I KNOW THEY ARE IN THERE. LOL.. I looked up the calories and saw it was 650 calories for a whole pumpkin muffin. Could I just eat half at 325? I don't think I have that much will power yet. But then I started thinking about what I could eat for 650 calories. I could eat a whole plate of nachos that would fill me up... even a cheeseburger probably... tons of sweet potatoe fries.... a nice grilled chicken sandwich and a salad. It was worth it to me so I didn't. Is the bagel worth it to you?

Good luck. Let us know if what you decided.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    i love bagels.
  • 50sBeachWalking
    50sBeachWalking Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Go to myfitnesspal and plug it into the food diary and see what the damage will be. That might be enough to say no, or at least you come clean with the computer. It's ok to like foods that aren't the best, and ok to eat some on occasion. Give yourself a cheat allowance every week, lets say 3 items. When the allowance is gone, you wait until the start of the next week to get more. Absense makes the heart grow fonder works for food too. Slow down enjoy those allowances, and don't feel guilty because you are in control and have a plan to succeed in the long run. Failure in one's mind is a demotivator and can stop your plan to succeed and give up. Enjoy in moderation and make it part of your plan.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    A coworker brought in an assortment of NYC bagels and cream cheese today (and left them right across the hall from me - the smell is killing me!) - but I woke up at 5.30 this morning to workout and don't want to spoil my day so early. Help me resist!

Use MFP and log 1/2 or whole bagel and decide if it's worth it once you see the nutritional breakdown. This is a difficult resist. Good luck!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Have one. Then hit your workout hard tomorrow.