Knee pain with squats and lunges

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
I'm incorporating squats and lunges into my strength days. I knew when I started that I wouldn't be able to do full versions of either exercise to start out (my form is poopy). I can keep form, but only doing partials, and I've discovered my knees are being very creaky and crunchy. Will they strengthen up as I go?

My only knee problem is my left knee has been dislocated 3 times (last time was 3 years ago).

Replies

• kriselayne1
    kriselayne1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also expereince knee pain since incorporating many squats and lunges lately. The only thing that seems to work is to rest, elevate and ice them. I don't know if that will work for you but it could. Also, go to a running store (not big box stores like Sports or the others) and have them fit you for proper sneakers. Although your not running, squats and lunges are tough on the knees and I'm sure they'd be able to help you find something that will help support the impact these moves have on your knees.

Also, try a knee brace it may or may not help but its worth a try.

Good luck!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I also expereince knee pain since incorporating many squats and lunges lately. The only thing that seems to work is to rest, elevate and ice them. I don't know if that will work for you but it could. Also, go to a running store (not big box stores like Sports or the others) and have them fit you for proper sneakers. Although your not running, squats and lunges are tough on the knees and I'm sure they'd be able to help you find something that will help support the impact these moves have on your knees.

Also, try a knee brace it may or may not help but its worth a try.

Good luck!
    If you are doing squats and lunges, you should NOT be in running shoes while doing them! You should be in shoes that allow your feet to support the weight of your body as well as any additional weight you are using. Running shoes are built to sustain shock from your feet hitting solid ground and are too "bouncy" to be appropriate for when you are doing weight bearing exercises. I am a runner and I just bought a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. These are the ONLY shoes I would consider lifting AND running in. They allow your toes to spread and be grounded as is required when lifting.
    That said-I have tendonitis in my right knee and have since High School. You SHOULD consult your Dr to see what underlying issues may be present, especially considering you have prior injuries. You may want to build your quadraceps muscles using the machines(I know, heaven forbid I mention machines, but I was rehabbed using the leg extension machine by a top notch sports surgeon, so...) This way if you need LESS than your body weight to build strength in order for your knees not to ache, then you can. Then, once those muscles are stronger, you can attempt using your body weight again.
    I've only recently been able to do lunges without knee pain. Squats, for whatever reason, have never bothered my knees. And while I can do a lot of weight with a squat, I can now only do lunges with my body weight-no extra weight added as of yet. I'm working on it, though. If you are currently using weight and your form is bad, STOP using added weight and just get your form down and use your body weight for now. We all start somewhere-no need to injure yourself in the process.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you have a history of knee injuries, and you cannot keep proper form without pain, then doing squats and lunges aren't worth the benefit.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    Perhaps less weight (if you're carrying dumbbells), more reps? Otherwise, check your form. Just a thought.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm incorporating squats and lunges into my strength days. I knew when I started that I wouldn't be able to do full versions of either exercise to start out (my form is poopy). I can keep form, but only doing partials, and I've discovered my knees are being very creaky and crunchy. .

Partial squats are actually WORSE on your knees then squats below parallel (which is a TRUE squat and how you should be squatting).

Lunges are bad for your knees if your knees are over your toes. When you lunge the first movement should be your butt going back. Between that and keeping your back straight your knees/toes will then be in the proper alignment.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Never ever do partial squats. Squat to parallel or just below it. You want the top of your thigh parallel to the floor; your hip crease below your knee. Doing partial squats is guaranteed way to hurt your knees.
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    I'm incorporating squats and lunges into my strength days. I knew when I started that I wouldn't be able to do full versions of either exercise to start out (my form is poopy). I can keep form, but only doing partials, and I've discovered my knees are being very creaky and crunchy. .

Partial squats are actually WORSE on your knees then squats below parallel (which is a TRUE squat and how you should be squatting).

Lunges are bad for your knees if your knees are over your toes. When you lunge the first movement should be your butt going back. Between that and keeping your back straight your knees/toes will then be in the proper alignment.
    This...plus, your toes should be pointing slightly outward to avoid knee issues. If you are not going all the way down, you are not getting your hammy's involved in the squat. Drop the weight and start doing deep squats until you get stronger.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm not using any weights, just my body weight. I thought it was better to get my form correct first, then work on doing full squats and lunges.

The problem with doing full squats is I can't keep form. When I drop my thighs parallel to the floor, I lean forward and onto my toes, otherwise I fall over. Lunges aren't so bad, but I can't get my other leg to touch the floor.
  • jayaprathappsg
    jayaprathappsg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you are falling over, either your chest or head is not upright. it is very essential
    Also, you may want to widen the distance between the feet, that will give more stability. Too much width means your legs cannot bend to do the squat, too little means less stability. Try to find a middle ground.

Also have the toes point slightly outwards

I suggest doing in front of a mirror and see if your form is right, it can be tough in the beginning but believe me it will be automatic once you get your form straightened

Until you get comfortable, pl dont use weights, but you can use a bar without weights and it will help you keep the chest and head upright
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm not using any weights, just my body weight. I thought it was better to get my form correct first, then work on doing full squats and lunges.

The problem with doing full squats is I can't keep form. When I drop my thighs parallel to the floor, I lean forward and onto my toes, otherwise I fall over. Lunges aren't so bad, but I can't get my other leg to touch the floor.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-squat-properly/#axzz28fAvUIE8
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-proper-squat-technique/#axzz28fAvUIE8 (watch the video)

I have bad knees and have started with the pole assisted squat. I can only do 2 reps of 10 so far, but I go as far down as I possibly can. I can see my posture in the mirror as I do them. Each day it gets easier and my flexibility (hip, ankle) is vastly improved and my knees are not complaining as much as they did when I started.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

that's where i started. you need to work on increasing your flexibility in the ankle and hip flexors to not tip forward. just take a wider stance and squat with proper form. eventually you'll develop the strength and flexibility in the hip and ankle and can start moving your feet in closer together.

what i did was start off with a wider stance. i added weight as well. once i could do a squat post parallel with feet at normal distance apart i just dropped the weights and restarted back up again.
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Best advice I've heard for making sure you have proper form when doing a squat is to stick your butt out. Exaggerate it ... you should feel as though you could tip backward, not forward. All the weight should be in your heels.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes - a squat is really more of a 'butt thrust', LOL!

Also, lift your toes inside your shoes. This will put your weight further back, where it needs to be to keep your knees over your ankles, and not over your toes.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    When you are doing your lunges and squats, be sure that your knees stay above your ankle, meaning, don't mean them forward to where you can't see your shoe laces. If you have a full length mirror I'd move it into the room you workout in, or practice in front of it. Now, not only do you want your knees properly aligned, you want to make sure ALL of your weight is in your heels. This way you are working out the proper areas, and not straining your knees.
    You may lose your balance a few times, this is normal, but the more you do it the better you will get. Make sure your feet are shoulder width apart as well, and that your back is flat and tail bone out (in other words, stick that butt out). With lunges, make sure you are taking a wide step when you "lunge" forward. The closer together your legs are the harder it is for you to hold proper form.
    I hope this helps :)
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    OOps meant to type don't Lean, not mean them forward :)
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with your knees, they are a delicate part and will hurt insanely if they get screwed up! In physical therapy they taught me how to modify squats by placing a fitness ball between the wall and my back, lean against that and then do my squats, letting the ball roll up and down with me. This puts a LOT less strain on the joints and allows me to concentrate on contracting the quadriceps better. Take care of those knees! =)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i have bad knees (had acl replaced) and i do squats but i put a stability ball behind me and up against a wall to assist me with them.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've discovered my knees are being very creaky and crunchy. Will they strengthen up as I go?

Are you warming up first? In the mornings, when I start my routine, my knees crackle like cellophane. If it doesn't hurt, you're probably fine. That being said, if it is pain, make sure you talk to a doctor about it.

A few personal training sessions would probably be helpful, to spot your form and give you some alternatives until you have the base strength to do the full exercises properly. There are also versions you can do in water that will reduce the strain while strengthening the muscles.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

If you're knees are hurting you are definately doing them wrong. In order to get your form correct, do them with a ball behind your back up against a wall, or do them in a door way (which was the suggested method from my physio therapist when I totally crapped out my knee).

Doorway method. Hold the door frame with your hands a bit lower than shoulder height. Then squat down so than you are actually supporting your weight with your hands. You should feel like you will fall backwards if you let go of the door frame.

Ball Method. Place the exercise ball in the small of your back against a wall and lean into it - rather than just standing up straight to hold it there. Slide down into the "Squat" position - - which will feel like a Wall sit at this point. Be sure to lean back into the ball so that it does not roll down your back.

Using either method - when you come up, you should be lifting with your GLUTES and the back of your legs rather than the front of your legs which is what makes your knees hurt. When you are coming up from the squat, all the weight should be squarely on your heels rather than on your toes - which is another form issue that a great number of people have. Concentrate on lifting your body with those muscles, and you will feel less pain in your knees.