30 Day Shred. Thought I was going to die.

Options
I am so impressed by anyone who has made it through all 3 levels of the 30 Day Shred program. I just completed my first day and I have to admit there were a few times in the middle that I wasn't so sure if I would be able to finish. As it was I had to take a few breathers just to get through it.

I am hoping that I will be able to finish the whole program and see by the results that it was worth it.

One question to anybody who has done the program, she says you need to do it everyday but I travel 2 to 3 times out of the week and it's not always possible to do the program while on the road. Do you think it is possible to see the same results if I just did it the rest of the week?

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 DS and I still pull it out and do at least one of the workouts once a week.I Didn't do it in 30 days. I play volleyball two nights a week and I always took a rest day, so I did it 4 days a week.

I lost a pile load of weight during the program and really reshaped my body. (This is why I still pull it out and do it at least once a week). I am considering duing the whole circuit at once again, once volleyball starts in the Winter (which is next month). IT would be a great off set to all of that cardio that I get during that time.

Oh, I thought I was going to never make it through it either, but if you stick with it, you can do it. Before I started this, I hadn't seriously worked out (other than team sports) in more than 15 years. It was a total shock to my system, but was really glad that I did it.

Good Luck!
  • theblitz
    Options
    Honestly I didn't finish because it wasn't up to par with my fitness level. I thought it was too short, too easy for me to really challenge myself cardiovascular-wise and I found something else.
    HOWEVER I do know that if you take a few rest days a week, you will be fine. You are still improving your heart health, your endurance, all those things. The important thing is to watch your food intake on days you do not exercise. You will be burning less that day, so eat accordingly, you know? Good luck! :D
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have done the whole 30DS.... loved it....really helped re-shape my body, As a mother of two young children, I love the fact it is only 25mins. I have gotten great results by doing it for the whole 30 days.... but now I am re-doing it.... and I am hoping to do it 3-4 times a week.

The first week is the hardest, but by the 5-6th day it gets easier.... your body just needs to adjust. I reccommend doing Level 1 and only moving on to level 2 when you are completely comfortable with the first level and it feels easy....it will prepare you for Level 2.

Great job by the way.... if you are travelling, if you have a laptop....you can do it anywhere.... but any exercise is better than none.
  • tstella224
    Options
    First, time I did it, I did see weight loss results, and I did it Monday through Friday only. I was too busy with things on weekends. I did change my eating habits too. As for toning, I didn't see as much as I had hoped for. Now I have been doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution 90-day Program. Now that one is definitely tough, but a lot better results on the toning. Just keep at it. It will get easier and you won't feel like you are going to die
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm doing several other things I still work it in some weeks. I'm thinking of starting it over and do the whole thing again (in anticipation of the holiday cheating days). 3 to 4 times a week should work fine if you can do that. You are suppose to take rest days. Keep it up and you WILL see results. I love the combination of strength and cardio ...it works great!
  • jaimeteague
    jaimeteague Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It does get better! I had to have a few rest days though. I'm halfway through level 2. Good luck!
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I did it everyday but by the 2nd week I had to take one day off cause I thought I was gonna die. LOL. I'm sure if you did it at least every other day you would see results just maybe not as quickly.
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it, I remember calling Jillian a slew of completely inappropriate names. It was all I could do to keep going. Lol
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BTW, I am going to start it again this Monday. Getting up early to do it. I haven't done it since last Spring but it really helped me get in shape.

And YES, she will make you say bad words. You will really hate the sound of her voice also.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it as well. This is my second attempt as a broken toe stopped me last time. But the first cpl days are the hardest. After the 1st day I was so sore I couldn't sit on the toilet(had to throw myself down...lol) I don't think her stretches are nearly enough. My hubby taught me some better stretches and that helped A LOT!!!! I do think it's worth it, of course maybe not for someone more advanced in fitness, but for a beginner or even intermediate I think it's great!

edited to add: I also do a minimum of 1/2 cardio on my own with this program and I do it every day with no break...but have heard of people taking breaks and still having great results.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to do it everyday because it killed my knees. When I did it I saw good results can't do it right now but as soon as I am cleared after having this baby it will be one of the workouts I start with. I loved the length it is great when you are short of time.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    I was the same way when I started. I just finished the ten days of Level 1, though, and my endurance levels and ability to get through it all changed drastically within just a few days. Stick with it and you'll be fine!
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I started as well today. I thought I was going to die, I could barely breathe through the cardio bits :D At least it's only a short workout.
    I'm planning on doing the shred 4 days a week, with two rest days and a cardio day to give my muscles a chance to recover. I am so sore now, no idea how I'm going to be able to brush my hair tonight, I can't lift up my arms!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    First time through I tried to be all tough and keep up with everything and not modify or go at my own pace. I threw up for a good hour once I had finished and could not walk or move well for 4 days. It was an important lesson in going at your own pace. I did the workouts 5 days a week and switched levels every two weeks. So no you do not have to do it every day to get great results, and do not worry about needing an extra break or two or modifying until you can do it the other way.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The program implies it's supposed to be every day but in an interview she said it actually isn't meant to be every day because your body does need to rest. Some people do it three times a week and still get results. Unfortunately, I tried to do it every day even though my shins were killing me and I ended up getting shin splints and had to quit. :ohwell: It's a great workout but listen to your body and take breaks if you need to. Also, it gets easier after a few days- maybe by day 4 or 5. Good luck!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I got through 25 days of it before I got sick, went on vacation and just never got the motivation to start it up again. I felt like I was going to die for about 3 days but then I was ok. I would try to aim for 5 days out of the week if you can since it's only a 20min workout but even 4 days a week is better than nothing. You could also try to do other exercise whenever you're traveling (even if it's just walking/jogging/running/stairs)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 30 today. Yes she is tough it does get easier but it never got easy. I have seen results especially for only 30 days. I did it everyday except I did take the last 2 sundays off. Do it on the days you can and you will still see results, maybe not quit as quickly. YOU CAN DO IT
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started it - it does get better, there are still some moves that I have to work at (push ups in any form still suck) Keep it up and you will really enjoy it and will see results.

You don't have to do it everyday - two days on one off is what I heard but since my schedule is really hectic and I like to run as well, I do it anywhere from 2-4 times a week.

It will get easier and it is totally worth it!
  • lOvInLiFeLaTiNa
    Options
    Ahhh....30 day shred. My fondest memory of 30 day shred, day 1, I was looking for the modified version of the jumping jack and just as I was looking for that, Jillian declares out loud that there is NO MODIFIED VERSION OF A JUMPING JACK!!! HA HA.
    She is tough, she and I have a love/hate relationship. :0)

As long as you give all you have the few times you are able to work with Jillian, success will happen. Any Jillian is better than no Jillian. GO FOR IT!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Super work though for getting through it! You stopped for a few breathers, sure, but you made it! :-D

And do it as much as you CAN do it.... don't mould your life around the schedule, but incorporate it into your lifestyle. Definitely make it a priority and try to fit it in in between meetings/drives etc... But will you see results? YES! Anything is better than nothing, and with the effectiveness and style of her workouts I am sure you will notice results.

Best of luck!