you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options
arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
- if you run on the streets, always run facing traffic so you can see cars coming at you (I see way too many people running with their backs to traffic, wearing black while listening to music...)

- your tech shirts will stink after you run in them, there is nothing you can do about it (I leave mine out in the garage until I am ready to wash them)

- build your endurance and the speed will come naturally

Now you go

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    - Don't do every run like it's a race. Slow down to get faster

- Stuff wet shoes with newspaper to dry them out. It only takes 24 hours

-Yes, you can run in the rain (see above)

-The human body can survive for 2 to 3 days without water, in most cases, you don't *need* it on training runs

-Choose hilly routes for your easy runs. You will be stronger and faster because of it.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • arc918
    Options
    Good stuff Carson!

Indeed, my wife won't walk a mile without water, but I can run 10+ miles without drinking - go figure...

- the trick to running in the rain is DON'T overdress - just be ready to get warm and dry once you finish
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you're out on a run it's ok to walk.

It's also ok to stop to stretch-in fact for me it's mandatory.

And yes, you do look like a rockstar while you run. Everyone does. NO ONE looks stupid running.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    And yes, you do look like a rockstar while you run. Everyone does. NO ONE looks stupid running.

I LOVE that one! I want to cheer every time I see a new runner out.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    - Approximately 99% of the people that SAY that they can't run, actually can. I know because I was one of them.

- Don't stop running over the winter months. You can run in all kinds of weather! (I learned this too after several non-running winters.)

- Don't ever let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do. And trust me, there will be lots of "experts" offering their opinion. Dream big!!

- And, don't EVER give up! :D
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    You don't need expensive state of the art running shoes to run, in fact you don't need any shoes at all;

Dont' let rainy days stop you running, some of the rainy days turn out to be the best runs;

Do remember to stretch after a run to ease out those muscles and ease away tomorrow's muscle aches before they begin;

Leave a route of where you are going and hope no-one ever needs it to find you if you need to be rescued;

Always take a mobile with you and hope you never need to use it to ask to be rescued!
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!
    Love all the info. It really does help.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    - running is not "hard on your joints"
    - with a little practice you can fire snot rockets like a pro
    - Under Armour compression shirts will prevent bloody nipples
    - buy the gaudiest coloured running jacket you can find (preferably fluorescent green or yellow) with lots of reflective stripes if you run in poor visibility conditions
    - buy a LED headlight to go with your gaudy jacket for running when it's dark
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options

I LOVE that one! I want to cheer every time I see a new runner out.

I was out running a few weeks ago and an older gentleman started clapping for me haha!
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    love all these! Thanks to all
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    - buy the gaudiest coloured running jacket you can find (preferably fluorescent green or yellow) with lots of reflective stripes if you run in poor visibility conditions
    All of the above except the snot rockets!!!:sick: :sick: :sick: Please don't!! Not when you are visible to others....You will force them to end their run and start puking like a sick dog next to the road....It's just disgusting!!!!::laugh: :noway: :frown:
  • arc918
    Options
    little rounds band-aid on my man-nips prevent chafing from tech shirts

the bloody man-nips is an error you only want to make once...
  • dad2brooke
    dad2brooke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    -Carry a cellphone for emergencies.
    -Get a Road ID bracelet. If you have an accident all of your medical info is available to the emergency responders via website and password..
    -If you do carry hydration and listen to music, take a sip at the beginning of every song.
    -Replace your shoes every 300~ miles.
    -Go to a specialty running shop to get your shoes, gait etc checked out. It is important to run in the right shoes.
    -Once you know the right type of shoe to run in, they are much cheaper from Zappoes or Amazon than at a running store.
    -Headlamps, blinkies and bright colors if running while dark.
    -Never give up!
  • dad2brooke
    Options
    Yes the bloody nipple club is no fun. You would think after a while they would toughen up, but they don't. I use medical tape. It is cheaper than the bandaids.
  • arc918
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, running will NOT make your uterus fall out!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options

^^This! Because I still want to run even when I have the sniffles and a scratchy throat! But always make sure you know which direction the wind is blowing!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    All of the above except the snot rockets!!!:sick: :sick: :sick: Please don't!! Not when you are visible to others....You will force them to end their run and start puking like a sick dog next to the road....It's just disgusting!!!!::laugh: :noway: :frown:

I stand corrected, I should have said "discretely" fire snot rockets. As a group runners are far classier than players in the Premier League who seem to have no compunction about doing it on TV live in front of an audience of millions! :laugh:
    little rounds band-aid on my man-nips prevent chafing from tech shirts

I bought a supply of nip-guards only to find (and it may have something to do with chest hair or perspiration) they fall off after a few kms - and no, I'm not shaving my chest.........
    Yes the bloody nipple club is no fun. You would think after a while they would toughen up, but they don't. I use medical tape. It is cheaper than the bandaids.

....and it's even worse when you swim in a salt water pool.
  • dad2brooke
    Options
    - your tech shirts will stink after you run in them, there is nothing you can do about it (I leave mine out in the garage until I am ready to wash them)

About ever third wash I add a half cup of white vinegar to the detergent to remove the odor.