you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oh..one more thing..never ever EVER lose to anyone in fancy dress!!

Hehehe, the thing I was most proud of in my first (only so far) half marathon is that I overtook and finished before the young guy in a bear suit (complete with giant foam head!).

I haven't read every page - so if it hasn't been already stated, here's my advice:

- thank the volunteers who are handing you water and stopping cars for you. Your race wouldn't happen without them.
    - don't try out new socks or undies on race day
    - run even when you don't feel like it.
    - enjoy!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I almost skipped this thread because I'm not a "serious" runner. Glad I didn't. Thanks all!
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump for later ..... great tips.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I buy every running magazine and book I can get my hands on. So far they all say be careful with ibuprophen before a long run. And, no, running is not hard on the joints. Quite the contrary, running strengthens joints,bones and builds muscle. Keep running!
  • sll1083
    sll1083 Posts: 31
    Options
    Bumpo
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    - if you run on the streets, always run facing traffic so you can see cars coming at you (I see way too many people running with their backs to traffic, wearing black while listening to music...)

way too much
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    - Don't stop running over the winter months. You can run in all kinds of weather! (I learned this too after several non-running winters.)

I live in an area where the weather gets down to -40... and the sidewalks/roads can be slippery, I'm afraid of falling due to this, therefore I think running inside on a treadmill is safer.. haha..
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post.......I run on the weekends and have completed a few 5ks but I am now training for my first half marathon. Running on a regular basis has changed my life. These tips are great for new runners! Wish me luck--April will be here before I know it
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump, half for the info, half for laughs!
  • thirtyby30
    thirtyby30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to do hill sprints once a week, even if you only do a couple it will make a massive difference to your training. When you're in a race and you're overtaking everyone on the hills you'll feel like a champ.

Cross train to prevent injury, squats and planks are great for building strength.

It doesn't matter how slow you go, you're still going faster than everyone at home on the couch.
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i am so glad that I came across this thread. I am doing my first 5K in June. The foam run. So many great tips here for me!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    And yes, you do look like a rockstar while you run. Everyone does. NO ONE looks stupid running.

I LOVE that one! I want to cheer every time I see a new runner out.

LOVE IT!! I cheer people on too! ;)
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!

Thank you for that. I run like heard of speeding turtles. Bt you know what, me and my 15 minute mile are out there doing it!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So many great comments. Love the suggestion to thank the volunteers. I am a race director and can't begin to explain how important volunteers are. I thank everyone I come in contact with.

Do not take ibuprofen before a run (on the advice of he head of our running club who is also a doctor)
    - running is not "hard on your joints"
    - with a little practice you can fire snot rockets like a pro
    - Under Armour compression shirts will prevent bloody nipples
    - buy the gaudiest coloured running jacket you can find (preferably fluorescent green or yellow) with lots of reflective stripes if you run in poor visibility conditions
    - buy a LED headlight to go with your gaudy jacket for running when it's dark

Ha. See my avatar. I've a number of people comment on it when I was wearing it not running on how visible it was. I said yeah, that's the point.

That's one of my big pieces of advice - be visible!

ETA - oh and the first mile or two are always the hardest.
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This thread has seriously given me the boost I needed. Have been starting to dread my runs because they've become discouraging (can't seem to break 8 miles, a mental barrier I know) but I really feel a little better now!! :)
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My two cents:

If you'e interested in truly improving times/performance, incorporate hill reps or speed workouts. I like (and by that, I mean like/hate) the 200s for sprint workouts.

Give yourself a rest when needed, even if it means rearranging your scheduled workouts. I found that when I occasionally skipped a run in favour of a nap but made sure to run the next day, my performance was good.

GET OFF THE TREADMILL. Do as many of your workouts outdoors as possible. Your stride will be longer and the time will go faster.

You do not need a waterbottle, Gatorade or Gu for your 5-10ks. Hell, I ran my first HM without even stopping at a water station once. (Not necessarily recommended, but my point is that I survived AND ran about 10 minutes faster than my final race distance training run).

Don't feel guilty for bad runs. Running sucks sometimes, especially when you're thrown into a new situation (see: going from road running to trail running). It can make you feel slow and out of shape. Still, just because you had to walk a few hundred meters or had a killer cramp doesn't mean you are a bad runner.