you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options

Replies

• butlera8
    butlera8 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention anything about pain killers before running? I get very intense back pain after the first mile.

Core strength! (otherwise.....see your Dr)

Thanks!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of them, but my most important one after good shoes for YOU:
    NEVER take in anything during a race that you haven't trained with. If you haven't trained with gatorade, don't take it at the water stop just because it is there.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lisamariebennett
    lisamariebennett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Heel spurs = cortisone shots. Temp fix, but it might help!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, people who offer running advice using absolutes usually know much less than those who offer recommendations for someone to try. The wise understand that people are vastly different and we are all an experiment of one.

So if someone says "this specific type of shoe/training/food will fix your problem" be wary. Particularly if they follow it with "I used it and it worked for me".

If someone says "you might try this type of shoe/training/food to see if it helps you. It has been beneficial to some people,", then consider they might have a good idea for you to consider.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    For all the beginners that don't think they can do it...
    5 months ago I had been a pack a day smoker for 25 years (I am 41) was 80 lbs overweight, and gave myself stress fractures in both my tibia trying to do Couch to 5k (apparently smoking is bad for your bones) and today I ran 10 miles. In fact, last month I ran about 110 miles, biked 150 and swam 5.4. Whoda thought a fat smoker could do all that? Well, I can and so can you.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've got one: Don't start out on your race faster than you intend to average. This will be harder than you think, especially with all the people and excitement and adrenaline. Start more slowly and build to your pace and you'll be stronger at the end.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Love. This. Thread. Thanks to the OP for posting and for everyone for the ideas/inspiration!
  • Cespuglio
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, running will NOT make your uterus fall out!

This is popular belief??? :laugh:
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cespuglio
    Options
    [/quote]

One of my favorite places to run is a large local cemetery- All nice new asphalt roads winding all over the place, you can run in the middle of the road without any fear of traffic, and you can run for a long time without ever taking the same windy route twice. A+. You just have to run during the day and keep an eye out for zombies.
    [/quote]

AHAHAHAHAHA! I might try this simply because my necrophobia might pump me with enough adrenaline to run faster :laugh:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Be aware and listen for dogs. Don't have your music up so high that you won't hear them. If one does chase you, STOP, face him and tell him to go home in a stern, angry voice.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Be aware and listen for dogs. Don't have your music up so high that you won't hear them. If one does chase you, STOP, face him and tell him to go home in a stern, angry voice.

I was 4 miles in to a 5 mile run, on a back country road on my lunch break last week, and this golden lab comes tearing across a farmyard towards me like he's totally going to rip my throat out for coming near his turf. I yelled at him to go home, he stops, I yell again, he actually tucks his tail and runs home.

But I wouldn't assume it will work all the time. I adore dogs, but not all dogs are inclined to leave a perceived threat when told to.

I'll definitely second the idea of moderating music volume - total escape is better done in the safety of the gym.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    some great stuff here!
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Great thread.
    My advice? Never quit. Even if you take a break from running for awhile, always go back. You won't regret it.
    Have fun.
    Don't be afraid to laugh and cry during a run. It is some of the best therapy.
    Make it prayer time.
    Hydrate.
    After run bubble baths are the bomb.
    Inspire your kids to run. They'll thank you some day.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    :love: Bumping for later! Love what I've read so far!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    bump :)