Apple Cider Vinegar

I've been doing this for a while. I drink about 1/4 c. a day with my water. But I haven't noticed anything. Has anyone else? Does anyone know the real health benefits?

Replies

• Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Ummmm ... what's it supposed to do??
  • Break down fat, help you lose weight... Something like that.
  • I researched it and apparently the claims it makes are unsubstantiated and false. I tried it too with no result. :)
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Bought an apple cider concoction made by the Amish. Was supposed to help you lose weight, help joint/arthritis pain, etc. Hubby & I did for about 2 months and neither of us saw any benefits...other than we were out $20.00 per bottle & went through about 3 bottles!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Unless you want horrible acid reflux I'd quit that. You don't need help. Eat right, move. That's all that's required.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    This pulled from the WebMD site ... bottom-line, is there is no conclusive evidence that it helps weight loss. Might make you feel fuller ... that's about it.

Scientific Evidence of Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
    But there are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies. Here's a rundown of some more recent ones.

Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best-researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, one 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.

High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.

Blood pressureand heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.

Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.

Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.
    While the results of these studies are promising, they are all preliminary. Many were done on animals or on cells in a lab. The human studies have been small. Before we will truly know whether vinegar has any health benefits, much larger studies are needed.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    You drink vinegar?
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    It works well to get rid of fruit flies lol
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/apple-cider-vinegar-for-weight-loss/AN01816

I've heard prolonged drinking can cause stomach issues in some ppl. be careful.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    VOOOODOOOO : )
  • Don't do it! Tried that a couple years ago. It messed with my stomach some kind of bad!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I mix mine with my green tea and drink about 20 cups a day, I've been doing this for 6 months. Unfortunately the only side effects I've had is liquid leaking out of my body because I died about ten days ago.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    gross
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I prefer a hard cider. D!cken's brand is especially good.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

You can catch fruit flies easily in vinegar. I like a teaspoon of it in a quart of water for a little flavor. I strain the flies out, though. That's all I know about drinking vinegar ...
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    My grandmother swears by this, not for weight loss but for general health. She's 92 and still kicking... For what it's worth.
  • ha... I use it for yeast infections.
  • tinkteri
    tinkteri Posts: 63 Member
    on the flip side I started drinking 1TBSP of this 2 times a day in a large glass of water with a bit of organic homey. I have the organic unstrained vinegar at $3.99/bottle.

I have to say the taste is not bad and I have not had any after dinner cravings or late night cravings for food (My biggest downfall). It might be mind over matter, but for me I'll take it because i am losing weight again after a long plateau.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    I heard it can help with reducing water weight....so if tha's true it may help you lose weight but drinking lots of water will do that too.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    on the flip side I started drinking 1TBSP of this 2 times a day in a large glass of water with a bit of organic homey.

Homey don't play dat