Heart Palpitations

Options
Have you experienced heart palpitations due to stress?

I am currently undergoing a 30 day event monitor test for my heart, after a some heart palpitations 2 1/2 weeks ago when I was trying to go to sleep. I have had a standard EKG which came out normal, a echocardiogram which also was normal and have gone back to the gym this week and jogged on the treadmill. My heart monitor results were good.

So my question is, does anyone experience heart palpitations?

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Periodically. But because they are so rare, I haven't really talked to the Doctor about it. I contributed alot of it to my poor choice in drinks. At one point, I was drinking no less than 2 litres of Dr Pepper a day, as well as energy drinks.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yep and after I was monitored doctor say I am fine. I was told most people get them but just don't feel them. I feel my heartbearting always so I could feel them. they called them premature heartbeats. I don't get them nearly as much as I did when I was worrying about if I was going to die. they are more frequent if I have too much caffeine or don't eat all day (not on purpose) or around T.O.M.
  • sfgiantsfan
    sfgiantsfan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If your cardio work-up was normal it could definitely just be caused by stress/anxiety. I experienced palpitations a few years ago when I was undergoing a lot of stress with work. I had just started working out again also so I thought maybe something was wrong with my heart. I became too scared to run because I felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I then started worrying, practically freaking out, that something was very wrong with my heart. After having a full work up it was determined that it was just anxiety caused by stress. Upon realizing the havoc the stress was causing on my body/mind and realizing that no, I was not dying, the palpitations eventually went away and I have not had any issues since that time.
  • fourstubbs
    fourstubbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had them for years. I notice them if I drink folgers coffee..and I notice them when I am under a tremendous amount of stress. Sometimes I just get one out of the blue... Doctors ran a whole bunch of tests on me too but never found anything...I am doing the Ideal Protein diet and ever since I have not had one palpitation. I hope the doctors find out what is going on with you, but please don't worry, you don't need any additional stress. hugs...
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I've had them and spend years in the hospital going to doctors trying to figure out what was causing them. All the tests always came back negative as I was an extremely fit individual. In my case, my heart would speed up at a really fast rate at random times, maybe once every two or three months. Turns out, I wasn't getting enough potassium in my diet. Try that and see if it ever happens again. Potassium regulates your heart beat.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/potassium-and-your-heart
    Potassium is a simple mineral with a crucial job: helping your heart beat

http://www.livestrong.com/article/416669-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-dont-get-enough-potassium/

Deficiency signs include increased blood pressure, salt sensitivity, kidney stones, irregular heartbeat and muscle weakness.

Edit: BTW, most doctors will not know it's due to potassium because 99.9999999% of all test done in a doctor's office is related to obesity and not what your diet is lacking.

• filming_ghosts
    Options
    Yeah, I get them a lot with my anxiety. It's really annoying, but while working out it generally doesn't bother me. Sometimes I just get tightness in my chest, but that's also from anxiety.
  • megancarlotta
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments, it has been pretty stressful wondering what is going on with my heart!
  • ledard
    ledard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went through worrying about my heart for a year, all my work ups came back fine and all they said was i could stand to lose some weight but that im as healthy as can be. However me being me I didnt believe them and let anxiety run my life for around a year before i am just now starting to get out of that phase of my life. To much stress was the factor for me they said i was having panic attacks which i was for sure panicing and it felt like i couldnt breath and my heart was going to expolde or my head was gonna pop. As you can see though I am still here and I am trying to lose weight lol so maybe i will not get these feelings anymore.