you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Lots of great stuff here! I don't have anything to add really.

Shoedometer app: http://www.shoedometer.com/
    Best thing ever! Especially if you're a shoe aficionado and have a hard time tracking your miles on certain shoes.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump. New runner as of this spring. Really cool tips here. Thanks!!!
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    consider that if you take pepper spray more so for fear of bears than people, that they may just think of it as extra seasoning!! lol

seriously though....

running in the rain is so totally euphoric
    running on trails is so totally euphoric
    running while everyone else is sleeping is euphoric
    running away from a bear is not.

hubbys tend to love the flushed, hot sweaty mess that you come home as. :)
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just started running last Saturday, and I just finished a 1.7 mile run- longest I've ever ran (outside) without stopping so yay me! Thanks for all the great tips!
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    - running is not "hard on your joints"
    - with a little practice you can fire snot rockets like a pro
    - Under Armour compression shirts will prevent bloody nipples
    - buy the gaudiest coloured running jacket you can find (preferably fluorescent green or yellow) with lots of reflective stripes if you run in poor visibility conditions
    - buy a LED headlight to go with your gaudy jacket for running when it's dark
    All of the above except the snot rockets!!!:sick: :sick: :sick: Please don't!! Not when you are visible to others....You will force them to end their run and start puking like a sick dog next to the road....It's just disgusting!!!!::laugh: :noway: :frown:

Yah, you may about to be passed by someone on a bike! :sick:

I'm just starting to run myself. And one thing I've noticed is-- those running in the streets. And I'm genuinely interested as to why. Why not run on the sidewalk? Is it due to cars coming in and out of driveways? That is what I'm assuming.
    it does make more sense to me when its in the middle of a neighborhood. But I live next to a string of waterfront parks that has a wonderful fitness trail (for walkers, runners, cyclists). And I see people running in the street that runs alongside the park. So not sure if I'm missing something. Like a secret you're told once becoming a full fledged "runner" :wink:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    When running on the sidewalks, run on the side with traffic. Cars coming/going on to side streets can see you better.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    So many great tips here -- thank you to everyone that posted from someone who started jogging last year but still enjoys learning new ideas and tricks for things.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    You must learn to master the downhills as well as the uphills.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    consider that if you take pepper spray more so for fear of bears than people, that they may just think of it as extra seasoning!! lol

:laugh: Damn you, I already have a slight bear phobia! Not around here, black bears in this part of the country are usually docile, but as I've considered moving out to grizzly country, I had planned to carry bear spray. But not in hopes of attracting bears who like their food spicy!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    - Approximately 99% of the people that SAY that they can't run, actually can. I know because I was one of them.

- Don't stop running over the winter months. You can run in all kinds of weather! (I learned this too after several non-running winters.)

- Don't ever let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do. And trust me, there will be lots of "experts" offering their opinion. Dream big!!

- And, don't EVER give up! :D

I can sprint VERY short distances, but I want to do more, but my body fights it tooth and nail. I will try to absorb all the wisdom I can.

*bump*
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!

YEAH!!!
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As a distance runner the best advice I can give is:

- Cadence: Watch your stride length. Heel striking is inefficient and harmful. Try to concentrate on striking midfoot. This will increase your cadence and your turn over and eliminate the enormous force that is sent through your legs if you heel strike.

- Listen to your body. You're an adult. You know the difference between it just hurting because you're challenging yourself versus actual pain due to an injury. If you feel twinges, pangs, etc. just rest. Take the day off.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you're out on a run it's ok to walk.

It's also ok to stop to stretch-in fact for me it's mandatory.

And yes, you do look like a rockstar while you run. Everyone does. NO ONE looks stupid running.

Was jogging down a hill once with traffic totally backed up in both directions... My buddies and I were kind of in the way of a minivan... He blew his horn at us... I was 425... the other two were 325 and 525... I caught back up to him and yelled thru his window, "What you've never seen joggers before?" My buddies were about to die laughing...
  • livingdeadbuddha
    livingdeadbuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I'm just starting to run myself. And one thing I've noticed is-- those running in the streets. And I'm generally interested as to why. Why not run on the sidewalk? Is it due to cars coming in and out of driveways?

Minimalist / barefoot runner here -- I tend to run in the streets (if no cars, of course) because macadam / asphalt is softer than concrete, and with little to no cushioning on my feet I notice that.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!

Oh yay! I'm a runner. For around 2 minutes out of every 5. That's okay, when I first started, I was a walker, then I was a 1 minute runner out of 10, so I'm working my way into full blown runner territory.

Try not to breathe in through your mouth. Bugs.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah....running is mental. As the great Finnish distance runner said, "Mind is everything: muscle--pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."

Once your mind has decided, the body has no choice but to submit.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options

I'm just starting to run myself. And one thing I've noticed is-- those running in the streets. And I'm generally interested as to why. Why not run on the sidewalk? Is it due to cars coming in and out of driveways?

Minimalist / barefoot runner here -- I tend to run in the streets (if no cars, of course) because macadam / asphalt is softer than concrete, and with little to no cushioning on my feet I notice that.

Ahhh, thank you!!
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm still new to this but...

I need constant stimulation or I get bored with things

TRY trails vs pavement, running with music, running without music, mix up your routes reverse your routes, run intervals, do some speed training.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, running will NOT make your uterus fall out!

Whew..because this belief is what's been holding me back!!

-Runners come in all shapes and sizes
    -KT pro tapes can help give your knees extra support