Nursing Moms

Options
Hi. I haven't seen a group for Nusring Mom's so I thought I would start one. Just figured people could post info. or discuss dieting while nursing. I find that I am hungry often after nursing, and am always looking for low calorie and filling foods and recipies. Please add your ideas/suggestions/comments.

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I'm no longer nursing, well I haven't been for a few years now... but congratulations on your super cute little bundle of love!!! And congratulations on deciding to nurse!! Well wishes to you and your family :flowerforyou:
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am also no longer nursing, but when I my weight was just pouring off. Take my advice and be careful after you stop nursing. You don't need as much food, but if you are like me, you will still eat it! Good luck to all you nursing mommies and I am glad you have decided to take that route. It was such a special bonding time for me and my son, and I often miss the cuddling.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I am nursing right now and I eat about 1800 cal. a day right now and have lost 41 lbs I have about 4 mo. of nursing left and then my little girl will be 1 when I plan on stop nursing and it will be just in time for summer.
  • Maralina
    Options
    HI, I'm new here. I have a beautiful 9 months old girl and nursing. Like Amanda I am hungry after each nursing. I'm trying to avoid sweets as I had pregnancy diabetes. :-((( So I have to be extra careful. After the labour I was 33 lbs less than when I got pregnant. Now 15 lbs came back...
  • amandamomof5
    amandamomof5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    According to my height/weight and goal weight MFP says I am supossed to eat 1540 calories a day. I do add on calories I get for cleaning and exercising, so that usually gives me a few hundred more. I lost 10 pounds right away quickly, but now it is harder. I am just trying to eat healthy and not waste calories. I have given up Mayo, Juice, deserts, and anything with empty calories. I just drink seltzer water, tea, and plain water, which has helped. I have been eating a lot of fruit and veggies too. I do need to find more foods that are filling though, cause I feel like I am hungry all morning long, even after breakfast! Maybe I should start eating chicken for breakfast!
  • Maralina
    Options
    Amanda, great job! I've just started to change my eating habit that I was practicing after labour, so I gave up chocolate, unfortunately I was addicted to it since I had a hard diabetes diet during pregnancy.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    According to my height/weight and goal weight MFP says I am supossed to eat 1540 calories a day. I do add on calories I get for cleaning and exercising, so that usually gives me a few hundred more. I lost 10 pounds right away quickly, but now it is harder. I am just trying to eat healthy and not waste calories. I have given up Mayo, Juice, deserts, and anything with empty calories. I just drink seltzer water, tea, and plain water, which has helped. I have been eating a lot of fruit and veggies too. I do need to find more foods that are filling though, cause I feel like I am hungry all morning long, even after breakfast! Maybe I should start eating chicken for breakfast!

Do you add another 500 for breastfeeding? If not you should so you can keep up your milk and so your body doesn't take from where you need it.

153118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • vmchenry
    Options
    I had my second baby four months ago and I'm nursing. I added nursing as an exercise activity to give myself extra calories. :)

I nursed with my first child as well, and found that when I got within 10 pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight I couldn't lose anymore until I stopped nursing. I've found that for me, my body will allow me to loose just enough weight, then it starts to hold on to the extra weight just in case it needs it for the baby. Once I stopped breastfeeding I lost 5lbs almost instantly, then slowly lost the remaining five.

Its definitely harder to loose the weight with my second (I gained more), so I'm also trying to work and see if that helps. I plan to continue nursing for another 2-4 months. Then I'll worry about dieting. :)
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I would definitely add in those 500 calories for nursing! And try not to get too discouraged if your weight stalls. Sometimes that happens to women while they are still breastfeeding. Keep up the good work for you and your baby!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I nursed with my first child as well, and found that when I got within 10 pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight I couldn't lose anymore until I stopped nursing. I've found that for me, my body will allow me to loose just enough weight, then it starts to hold on to the extra weight just in case it needs it for the baby. Once I stopped breastfeeding I lost 5lbs almost instantly, then slowly lost the remaining five.

Ditto. I gained 70 with my first, but about 30 of that was water from pre-e. This time I gained 38 and lost the first 31 in the first month. I've got 3 left now, and hope to lose it before I go back to work next month.