Too heavy to run?

Options
Here's a question that some of you may know the answer.
I am 5'6" and weigh 240. I was in army and used to run very well,but that was 10 years ago. ( I was also 150lbs)
I started to run again about 4 years ago and after 2 years I was diagnosed with stress fractures in my shin bones (so bad they went up and down and Dr was surprised my legs weren't broken) I had to stop running and was told to take Vitamin D. It's now been 2 years and I am ready to start running. I have been walking to help get my weight down a bit before I go stomping around the town.

I know about the C25K program and I know about taking my time and easing back into it. I know I need to work up to running faster a running for a short time and get longer.

I have enough common sense to stop doing something if it hurts but I don't want to do something if it ultimatey going to hurt me again.

At what point is your body simply just too heavy to be able to withstand the weight?

Any feed back is welcomed.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I have enough common sense to stop doing something if it hurts but I don't want to do something if it ultimatey going to hurt me again.

If that's true you should be able to start right now.

I started mixing running with my walking when I was still well over 200 pounds and I was in absolutely horrible shape, having sat on my butt for 3 years and done nothing.

Sometimes my shins, knees, or back will tell me when to slow it down to a walk again, and I do listen, I know the difference between bone ache and muscle ache.

However, you could always ask your doctor.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Chi Running? Our bestfriends do it, they were both very large when they started running and needed something to accommodate their needs, this style helps minimize the risk of injury, they have a website, chirunning.com, but there are also a bunch of vids on youtube that show you how to do it. I'm not a runner, so I cant say for sure how it works, but i know our friends LOVE it!

Edited to say, they started with C52K and this running method, that was 2 years ago, now they run marathons.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Listen to your body. Talk to your doctor about your concerns before starting. However I'm rooting for you.

I trained for and ran a 5K in 30 minutes between pregnancies. I was about 200 pounds at the start. Just because you're big doesn't mean it can't be done.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I was the same, started walking half hour.
    Then1-2 mins slow jogging a couple of times inbetween half hour jogging
    Then just upping the minutes each week. Sometimes ill walk 5, jog 5, walk 5, run 5. Just to keep the heartrate going up. The minute i feel any pain in the shins im off and wont go back on until completely gone. I also have a stupid foot that gets sore. Start of slow and dont overdo it :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Running is great but stressful on the bodies of even young, fit folks. Half of all runners experience a serious injury that stops them running within a year.

I would suggest that you run in the water or swim or do water aerobics to support your weight. And it's extra resistance so extra calories burned. It is also easy on your body.

Start with things easy on your body and when you get back to where it's obvious that you can first walk briskly and then run, go for it.

You can probably walk briskly now.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I started to C25k at 263 pounds. I ran 3 days per week. I did have minor soreness in my knees, but it always went away during rest days.

ETA: The C25K (plus calisthenics) did a wonderful job of preparing me for the Thirty Day Shred! :wink:
  • chanson104
    Options
    I did the C25K at about your weight, but I didn't have the physical history that you have. We're all different and only you know your body, but don't use weight alone as your only excuse to not run!
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    When I was 110 lbs (literally half my current weight) I got shin splits a few times. It had to do with me being not listening to my body and taking breaks when twinges of pain occurred from training too often. Don't ignore your body's signals to slow down. Couple this with a nutritious diet and you should be just fine for running.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was at the same weight when i started running. Eased into it with a slow jog then worked up to some interval runs until i could go multiple miles. Now (6 weeks or so later) I'm running a 5k 5 mornings per week and doing Insanity in the afternoons. Closing in on 200 lbs fast. But I am still young (24) so take it for what its worth.

*Edit* And I'm 5'5"
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and started C25K at 290...I am currently 275 and in wk 5 of it. I have not had any problems with it. my knees were sore but more like muscle sore and not injury sore the first week or so
  • pasturepilot
    pasturepilot Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started running at your weight 14 months ago, at 250#. I use a barefoot running style, sometimes in Vibrams, sometimes barefoot. Did the c25k program, then worked up to and ran the Peachtree 10K in Atlanta this past fourth of july. Feel free to friend me and/or message me if you need details or support.

I'm within a pound of my target weight. This stuff works.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I was 278 when I started, now I run 5-10+km three times a week still not under 200 (almost)...I have never had issues from the running...you know to listen to your body!! go for it!
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am 6'3" and started running regularly last January at 260 pounds and have not had really any issues except my shoes are in need of replacement now and my feet are hurting. Down to 215 now and am running longer and harder than before and still have not had shin splint type issues. Doubt this helps at all but good luck.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K at 267 lbs. I have since completed numerous 5Ks, a 10K, and I'm in training for my first half marathon. I currently weigh 230 lbs and I have another 5K tomorrow! (Excited)

I have been injury free the entire time and I attribute that to listening to my body and not doing too much, too soon. If you have the urge to run, go out there and do it. Start with intervals and eventually you'll be able to go long distances again.

For sure see your doctor if you have any pain or think you may be doing damage. But otherwise, I say start now :-D
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oh and I should answer your actual question: when I get home I am going to send you some information on Chris Davis. He started at like 700lbs and was able to begin a training schedule to complete a race. He has lost a ton of weight and looks happy about his progress. If a 700lb man can do it, anyone can! :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    When i first started i was 220 so no try the app couch to 5k it rocks
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    When I was 110 lbs (literally half my current weight) I got shin splits a few times. It had to do with me being not listening to my body and taking breaks when twinges of pain occurred from training too often. Don't ignore your body's signals to slow down. Couple this with a nutritious diet and you should be just fine for running.

Your shoes old because thats the major cause of shin splints that and not streching
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    I have run from 260 to 220 but my Dr told me if something hurts do not do it! For some reason I can run on a treadmill or outside and be fine, hop on an elliptical and my knees hurt like hell. Just listen to your body it knows what you should or should not do. I have a workout buddy who can't run but loves the elliptical.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I started running from the beginning. Very slow start - but I did (286lbs)
    The lighter I got - the faster I got!!!! I did hurt my knee a couple times from wearing improper footwear so make sure you wear the right shoes!!!!
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would say Go For It! Get some good running shoes from a good running shoe store, and then stretch oftehn and listen to your bod always. When I was 35 I started at 289 and did a 10K within 10 weeks of starting from zilch. That was a great summer!

A few years ago, however, I was around 300 (again!) and more like 53, and started a couch to whatever program and got plantar fasciitis and that scuttled my running for a few years. I hope to start again when I lose some weight but am pretty scared about getting PF again.

If you get sore feet that is a sure sign of trouble - mine felt like a bruised heel but by then it was too late. Some causes include age and weight, but I think you're young enough and your weight isn't any worse than mine was (proportionally) when I did it.

Go get 'em!