• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the explanation and links to "IT Bands!!"

Learn something new everyday here :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    consider that if you take pepper spray more so for fear of bears than people, that they may just think of it as extra seasoning!! lol

:laugh: Damn you, I already have a slight bear phobia! Not around here, black bears in this part of the country are usually docile, but as I've considered moving out to grizzly country, I had planned to carry bear spray. But not in hopes of attracting bears who like their food spicy!

haha...I live in so called docile black bear country too. But, I think the smell of pepper entices them. :) They are curious little big things!

I'll be sure not to test spritz on trails then! Also, I wouldn't be so foolish as to assume any bear is docile to the point of approaching one!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Oh..one more thing..never ever EVER lose to anyone in fancy dress!!
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options

One of my favorite places to run is a large local cemetery- All nice new asphalt roads winding all over the place, you can run in the middle of the road without any fear of traffic, and you can run for a long time without ever taking the same windy route twice. A+. You just have to run during the day and keep an eye out for zombies.

LMAO!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Very important:

be sure to wear your finisher medals to your next race...
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!
    Amen!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Very important:

be sure to wear your finisher medals to your next race...

Be a skeptical consumer of advice :laugh: :wink: :drinker:
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I begin week 4 next week and really feel that running is something I'm never going to quit. I'm digging the tips here!
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump for fabulosity. thanks everyone!

also I am totally pro-IT band stretching. (I realize it wasn't, like, really up for a vote, but I'm voting yes anyway lol.)
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you don't push yourself, no one else will. Running is about you and how long you are willing to tough it out.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Great info for beginners like myself. Thank you!!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks - I avoid them in my neighborhood for a few reasons - they are poorly maintained - pine cones, cracks, upheaved etc. And what really pisses me off - is when people park their cars and block the sidewalk. I don't want to have to zig zag around a parked car. I used to hate seeing runners on the street when there were sidewalks and know i know why - I am in my zone and the pace I want - I don't want to have to shorten my stride or break cadence to zig zag around a parked car. Leave the sidewalk free people!!!!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I ran (jogged) for 7.5 minutes earlier this week. I had to brag as I am a morbidly obese 35 yr old that was one of the only people that ran the assignment instead of walking it.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Interval training is important to improve your time per mile. You can stuck in a rutt if you constantly do endurance/long distance runs. Occasionally you should go down to the track for interval training. To do this you want to run 400 M at a 6 minute mile pace which is 1 lap around the track in 90 seconds. Jog to recover then repeat, keep doing this until you think you're going to puke. If you constantly focus on distance you'll hit a plateau in your time per mile.

When you're focusing on distance try not to worry to much about speed, find a speed that feel comfortable and try to keep that pace, remember it actually gets EASIER after the first 1-2 miles as your body warms up so try and push yourself a bit! The first 1-2 miles of my run are often harder then the last 2!
  • spinachsmoothies
    Options
    Great thread - thanks for firing my flagging running spirits back up!
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are a few really great free running apps that you can get for your smart phone that will track you as you go via gps. They will give you distance, time, lap time etc and you can play a music set list through it with vocal coaching. I like Endomondo :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your run. I love running and I love logging how far I run (I have a distance tracker) and how long I've run. I went from stop start running to running 45 minutes straight within 2 years. It burns tons of calories. Great post :wink:
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    if you have a choice between running on concrete (road, sidewalks, etc.) and grass, run on grass. Especially if you're a new-ish runner; gives you a reduced chance of getting shin splints. (:
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!

I love this! I just started getting back into running within the past few months, and I want to do a few races next year, culminating in my first 10 mile race. I was wondering when I could be considered a runner. I used to say I hated running, but as my endurance increases I'm finding I hate it less and less. Thanks!