losing my waist - but will my hips and thighs ever catch up?

Options
Hi All

Been on the MFP for a month now - I have lost 13cm from my waist, 2.5cm from my chest but only 1cm from my hips and nothing from my thighs. I have lost 3lb in weight. I am so pleased with what I have achieved so far but am wondering if my hips and thighs will ever catch up?
I am not going to give up, would just like to hear if others were in the same situation but with perseverance did lose it from other places too?
Thanks!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your body shape is determined by genetics, so a pear shape is always going to be pear shape even if it's a smaller sized pear
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    lol.. i've lost more from hips, thighs, chest.... not so much waist....:)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Pear shaped girl here with a long torso. I've lost 15 on my own 5 years ago and another 10+ using MPF. I Know I lost inches off my hips because I went down 3-4 pant sizes, but my waist was WAY more dramatic. I still have large thighs and often I have to wear a belt because my waist is too small for pants that barely fit my thighs. So, you will look MUCH better, but you won't change body type.

That said, I think my legs looked slimmer when I do pilates. Stretching seems to help me in a noticeable way, just not as noticeable as I'd like.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I could have written this. I lost 14cm from my chest (not where I was hoping), 4cm from my waist and 1 from my thighs and hips. I really hope I even out soon. Never have I been a different dress size on the top and bottom but now it looks like it will happen
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I guess being a pear isn't that bad - as long as the pear gets smaller in the end!
    It is annoying being such a small size up top and then having to buy bigger tops and shirts so they go over my hips - think that's why nobody's noticed I have lost any weight!
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    The grass is always greener. I'd like to have smaller boobs and a larger booty.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My body shape is rectangle (no curves), I lost 4cm from my waist, 3cm from bust, but only 1-1.5cm from hips, thighs and arms. I'd like to keep my hips though :)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much luck with this.

People are starting to worry bc my upper body is shrinking so much but I'm still unhappy because my thighs and lower body are still pretty big...

I think the trick is to really gain lean muscle.

But you can't change the shape of your body so if you naturally have wider hips there's not much you can do no matter how much weight you lose
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I posted the exactly same thing a bit ago - 6 cm loss from waist, nothing from hips..which means I am stuck in trousers cosy on the hips and baggy at the waist. On the plus size my bum is definately changing shape so they look better!

I guess some of us have hips that stick around..wish I could move the fat up to my boobs..
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear too, I keep losing from my waist and chest but not so much from my hips and thighs, sigh. my upper body looks like it belongs to a much smaller person then my lower half :noway:

The only thing to do is stick with it, since there's no such thing as spot-reducing. eventually the inches have got to come off the problem areas as well, right?
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Me too. Since July I've lost around 8 inches from my waist, but only 2 off my hips and thighs! I console myself that at least they are shrinking, even if only slowly... (And when I commented on this to DH, he said 'curves are good!' ) I'm not necessarily curvier than I was, but I definitely prefer these ones! :wink:

I gain weight below the waist first and lose it there last. I'll always be a pear, but yeah, one of the slender kind would be good!
  • Pinball3r
    Options
    I am a pear shape with the same issue. I tend to gain all my weight in my hips/thighs. I started lifting weights about 3 months ago, and from all of the exercise programs I have tried, this has yielded the biggest results for me in regards to the hip/thigh area. I agree with the other members who have mentioned it is a matter of body shape. You are right it can be annoying...especially when shopping for pants : ( . I guess I'm in the market for a good tailor. But I say embrace your pear...curvy hips are sexy!
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    It might also be worth noting that some people believe fat goes first where it was gained last. For me, I gained weight in the stomach/waist, then the bum, hips and thighs, then calves, then chest and shoulders, then hands and face. After 20lbs, I've mainly noticed shrinkage around my hands and face (ring slipping off, no fat rolls on my forehead!) - mind you, my favourite denim shorts are more loose around the hips/waist/thigh now. I'll never be a skinny minnie since I'm a large-framed pear shape with MASSIVE hips, but whatever, I love my curves :)

If you've only lost 3lbs I wouldn't worry too much. Wait until you've lost more and then you'll be seeing more results :)
  • manenina
    Options
    I have such huge hips as well! You can check/see your bone structure! I mean, if you can see some fat on top of your hip bones then your hip will potentially go down but if your hip bones are already there... Just be happy and enjoy your curves! Thighs... well, I hope mine go downs as well. I think running helps!
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. :flowerforyou:
    I lost around my abdomen but not so much my hips. Just keep working. :wink:
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before and definitely found that I lose from my core first and then my arms, hips and thighs catch up later. Seems to be happening again. I'm in smaller shirts but only one size down so far in pants (with a few more sizes to go). I'm hopeful it will happen eventually...I don't have much more I could lose in my torso.
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - it's just sooooooo frustrating - glad I am not the only one though! Will stick with it and hope that eventually the bottom will catch up! My top is now about a size 12 (uk) but bottoms are still a 16 - I just look really strange and if I try on long tops then have to buy bigger to go over the hips! One day my dream is to wear smaller, skinny fit jeans that I don't wobble about it - when my hips and thighs eventually get a bit leaner that is! I don't mind the curves as such - it's the wobbly flab covering them! lol
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    They will, it will just take some time. Be patient and keep at it. It will happen!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    We can not determine where the fat comes off. Hips, thighs & butts are usually the last place to go on women.