What is going on - i.e. hunger?

Options
I have been zigzagging between 1200-1700 cals a day for months now and just today I found out my TDEE is actually 2700 so decided I should up my cals to about 1800-2000 and not focus so much on losing as I am focusing on health.

Ever since eating 2000 calories today (more than I have in 18 months) my hunger is off the charts. Not emotional hunger, but my stomach is actually growling really badly... I don't understand why I am hungrier than usual when I had more food than usual?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're eating. The empty stomach is a result of food being digested quicker. So think about the food you're eating to increase things from 1200 to 1800.

A little thing I've been thinking about - hunger is just a feeling!
  • rcolours7
    Options
    depends upon what food you are eating.

are you eating a lot of processed foods or more fruits, veggies/salads, bean, whole grains????

i've been re-reading the book, Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Furham - he states (paraphrasing) that when you eat more high nutrient foods (salads, veggies, beans) you eat less in calories have more protein fiber and so u feel fuller longer. the more you limit processed foods/sugar, the better off you will be. he does even say that u can have sweet treats 1 or 2 times a week, just not everyday.

highly recommend doing a google search for his website - you may find some good facts/information for your overall lifestyle you want to achieve.

wish i could give you more help/suggestions
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The answer may be here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

From the postings on the board it sounds like it isn't uncommon for people to go through a period of ravenous hunger as they wake up their metabolism. When I increased my food to being closer to my TDEE I didn't go through this but since I'm really tiny there isn't many cals between the 1200 that MFP recommends to the 1250 of my BMR to the 1650 of 15% cut off TDEE. Especially when I was at the lower amounts I was eating back some of my exercise cals so my cal intake really only went up about 100.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    The answer may be here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

From the postings on the board it sounds like it isn't uncommon for people to go through a period of ravenous hunger as they wake up their metabolism. When I increased my food to being closer to my TDEE I didn't go through this but since I'm really tiny there isn't many cals between the 1200 that MFP recommends to the 1250 of my BMR to the 1650 of 15% cut off TDEE. Especially when I was at the lower amounts I was eating back some of my exercise cals so my cal intake really only went up about 100.

Sounds like it may be this!
    I eat pretty damn clean 95% of the time.
    Thanks for this =)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Depends what you're eating. The empty stomach is a result of food being digested quicker. So think about the food you're eating to increase things from 1200 to 1800.

I eat clean...
  • la_faerie
    Options
    I agree with Sharonks, a little too late after you've read it lol. Same thing happens to me after I eat more calories in a day, the next while I am constantly hungry seemingly for no reason. Totally annoying. But thank you for broadening my awareness about TDEE! Holy crap, my BMR is 1777 but being 17 (oops, sorry mfp), 5'10" and moderately active, my TDEE is 2754. That's almost 1,000 calorie difference! Craycray.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not "just a feeling." It's a complex physiological and hormonal response that's dependent on what and how much you eat vs how active you are.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Hunger is not "just a feeling." It's a complex physiological and hormonal response that's dependent on what and how much you eat vs how active you are.

Okay... and why would I become more hungry after eating more than usual?

So if you eat more would it be the metabolism resetting itself?
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I eat clean...

Clean means so many things. I'd be thinking it's possible you're eating more high glycaemic index stuff.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Well, it IS just a feeling. You can ignore feelings. ;)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I eat clean...

Clean means so many things. I'd be thinking it's possible you're eating more high glycaemic index stuff.

Check out my diary before you judge.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I eat clean...

Judge? I'm just telling you what I think might be happening. Then you can judge yourself if that's what you're into.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I eat clean...

Judge? I'm just telling you what I think might be happening. Then you can judge yourself if that's what you're into.

I'm not eating high GI stuff....
    my mum is prediabetic and I make all of our meals atm which obviously have to be low GI and eat the same as she does.
    Only higher GI thing I eat is bananas and berries.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    my mum is prediabetic and I make all of our meals atm which obviously have to be low GI and eat the same as she does.

In that case, I'd rule out your hunger being down to GI issues.

I would therefore think it's down to what people have said above about your body adjusting (not that I've heard of that before but if that's what they've experienced then it's something to consider).

Are you drinking enough water? Also, are you adding salt? I'm thinking it could be possible that you're feeling thirsty but confusing that feeling with one of hunger (it's not as odd as it sounds).
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was JUST reading some of those threads this week about eating back your exercise calories to wake up your metabolism... I started doing that just a couple days ago, and BOOM I was so hungry! I even went to bed hungry last night for the first time in weeks, even though I ate more than ever during the day!

I eat clean too. I think everyone is right about hunger being a sign of your body digesting faster. I felt like, YES, my body is using it up and not saving it! Good sign! :)

Pretty much just like when you first start lowering your calorie intake to lose weight... you get really hungry then too!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

In that case, I'd rule out your hunger being down to GI issues.

I would therefore think it's down to what people have said above about your body adjusting (not that I've heard of that before but if that's what they've experienced then it's something to consider).

Are you drinking enough water? Also, are you adding salt? I'm thinking it could be possible that you're feeling thirsty but confusing that feeling with one of hunger (it's not as odd as it sounds).

I drink 10 glasses a day and my sodium levels never go higher than 1500..
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Another thought - do you find the food you eat quite filling so you feel "stuffed" just after you've finished a meal? Could be possible that the increase in bulk is stretching the stomach which will make you feel hungry more often.
  • selfantigen
    selfantigen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think you have sped up your metabolism!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Another thought - do you find the food you eat quite filling so you feel "stuffed" just after you've finished a meal? Could be possible that the increase in bulk is stretching the stomach which will make you feel hungry more often.

Filling, yes.
    Stuffed, no way!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I think you have sped up your metabolism!

I hope so :)