Killer egg yolks

Options

Replies

• Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Sorry new person, what does BUMP! mean??

Just bumps it to the most recent threads to get more attention.
    Used when someone wants to "bump" an old thread back into discussion or something of that nature.
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    I love eggs! They're so versatile.
    Have omelettes and poached eggs most days, yummy!
  • Jester522
    Options
    1. Read the article in its entirety - good literature by well-known writers in the field but I'm skeptical. Still not enough evidence to adopt the theory though, need more studies on population samples before proving the things they say "may" happen. I happened to notice all the foods they talk about also contain high GI carbs and protein, thus highly insulinogenic meals meaning increased storage of dietary fats and increased production of cholesterol with formation of smooth muscle tissue in the arteries. Read my above posts. Fats and alcohol are non insulinogenic.
    2. USDA = garbage information
    3. Discussion geared to Type 2 diabetics, not general healthy populus.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Interesting to see that everyone here promotes eggs as healthy. To play devil's advocate, here's some recent science indicating that eggs might not be as full of good stuff as we think:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-industry-blind-spot/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/08/31/bad-egg/

Honestly i used to trust these studies but not anymore :laugh: First fats bad then its ok then its the saturated fat then they say its the carbs.

I honestly think its just excess that kills people.I mean even the horizon documentry eat fast live presented evidence that protein can cause cancer and premature againg. My grandads both enjoyed wine, fatty food chips and smoked. If i make it to 81 i think i wont feel to cheated.
  • hilarytwilary
    hilarytwilary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I tend to trust scientists like Dr. Greger more than the giant food industry people with all the money and all the social influence. It does seem kind of weird that people eat what is essentially a chicken's period.
  • Jester522
    Options
    I dunno. I tend to trust scientists like Dr. Greger more than the giant food industry people with all the money and all the social influence. It does seem kind of weird that people eat what is essentially a chicken's period.
    As you should - the industry just wants to sell you a product like candy, soy, cereal, the likes.
    And you dont think that university studies or scientific research would be funded by industry? Where does grant money come from? I know I couldn't have done mine without it but I actually believe in my cause.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather get my fat from a natural source than a manufactured one!

And seriously, egg whites without the yolk are just not the same...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Most of the protein is in the white, all the cholestoral and fat is in the yolk. and i eat a LOT of eggs. trying to build muscle. so i eat the yolk of maybe 4 out of 18 eggs. the rest i dump. if ur only eating 1 egg a day then eat the yolk. nicest part. if ur eating them like me then dump em
    Myth, whites and yolks contain roughly the same amount of protein. You really need to eat the entire egg to get the full protein benefits. Would you make a protein shake and then just dump half of it down the drain?
  • asweren
    asweren Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat duck eggs every day for breakfast. They are wonderful! On the occasion I may have a leftover egg yolk, I give it to my dog, and it makes her coat shiny.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    if you're eating more than 3 eggs a day then just have 3 yolks and as much whites as you can stomach.
    personally i would never leave out yolks, egg whites are kinda disgusting.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I was only eating 1200 calories a day, I usually only ate the whites strictly because of the calorie count. I have raised my calorie limit, and now usually just eat the whole thing. It is more nutritious, and definitely more delicious.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see that everyone here promotes eggs as healthy. To play devil's advocate, here's some recent science indicating that eggs might not be as full of good stuff as we think:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-industry-blind-spot/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/08/31/bad-egg/
    Those are actually "old" science, as newer studies that have come out in 2012 have refuted those sources from 2010.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't eat yolks because I don't like them! If it's a scrambled egg i'll take yolks but any other kind of egg and forget it!
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Poor Lil Innocent Chickkies.....:sad:
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with egg yolks - an egg isn't an egg without the yolk...I love it when I have an egg roll and the yolk spills out the bottom of the roll so I can clean it up with the rest of the roll - om nom...:tongue:
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Poor Lil Innocent Chickkies.....:sad:

yummy chicken menstrual cycles
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For people who throw away the yolks: You could use the yolk as a facial mask, so you won't waste them.
  • Jester522
    Options
    For people who throw away the yolks: You could use the yolk as a facial mask, so you won't waste them.

Huh... cool idea.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just a small quote from a scientific article:

"Eggs should be considered in a similar way as other protein-rich foods and selected as part of a varied diet that is low in saturated fat and contains a variety of cardio-protective foods such as fish, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes and nuts."

Food scientists have not yet figured out that one size does not fit all. I have not done well in the past on whole grains and fruit because I tend to over-prefer them to protein. Cutting them back to a minimum seems to be working better, so eggs, yolks and all, have been a life saver for me personally.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't eat yolks because I don't like them! If it's a scrambled egg i'll take yolks but any other kind of egg and forget it!

yep- I can't stand their taste (texture when boiled)