Up My CALORIES?!?!?

Options
When I first started on here my calorie goals were "recommended" at about 1220. I've been on here for months and barely lost a pound. I've read that raising the cals you aim for each day could help... have you done this and has it worked?

Replies

• DTFaaron
    Options
    Maybe you should pump up the work out routein. Stay with the 1220 cal and burn another 400 working out and those pounds will have no where to go but out.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That could very well be. Are you eating all of your calories, including most if not all of your exercise calories?? That is very important. 1200 calories is the MINIMUM you can have before you body starts going into starvation mode. It would make sense that the more activity you do, the more energy (calories) your body needs to keep up! Give it a try! It can't hurt anything. Good luck!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should pump up the work out routein. Stay with the 1220 cal and burn another 400 working out and those pounds will have no where to go but out.

Wrong
    Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options

I believe this will shut down your metabolism. Your body needs at least 1200 calories to fuel your basic functions, sometimes more depending on your stats. It also needs fuel for your workout. If you dont eat your calories back, you are actually then only giving your body 800 calories to both survive off of and excercise. Your metabolism immediately shuts down to accomodate.

I have heard from SEVERAL people and several posts that this concept is the exact reason they stopped losing weight. Check out the message boards, these threads are ALL OVER THE PLACE!
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Wrong
    Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I swear, without you, I would still be lost on this issue! Thank you soooo much!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I recently hit a plateau & have increased my calories in an effort to break it. I was very obese so I've been getting away with undereating for a while now to lose weight faster (certainly not recommended for anyone who is not very obese!). It's still early on (about 2 weeks since I started eating more), but according to my scale the last 3 days, I am indeed starting to lose weight again.
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I recently hit a plateau & have increased my calories in an effort to break it. I was very obese so I've been getting away with undereating for a while now to lose weight faster (certainly not recommended for anyone who is not very obese!). It's still early on (about 2 weeks since I started eating more), but according to my scale the last 3 days, I am indeed starting to lose weight again.

That is sooo great!
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Most days I'm taking in around 1500 cals. I workout about 5-6 days a week burning between 600-1000 cals each session.
    So yah on a "normal" day of 1500 cals and working out, I'm under 1200.
    hmmmm
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    When I updated my fitness profile about 2 months ago to lose 1lb per week instead of 2lb (since I was within 20lbs of my goal) I was stoked to see that MFP recommended I eat almost 500 cals (before exercise) more than I used to.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Read these:

Still confused? Read the post I keep in my sig. Starving your body and depriving it of the fuel it needs is so rarely the right answer.
    Yes, they do it on "Biggest Loser." With a TEAM of doctors and trainers. It's television: "Biggest Loser" is as realistic as the Disney Channel, IMHO.
  • KariM
    KariM Posts: 53
    Options
    I did the same thing when I started. 1200 cals was just not enough for me. After 2 weeks I upped the cals to 1400, dropped 7 lbs that week! For the past 6 months I have followed between 1400- and 1600 to lose the 30 lbs. I am not finding that that is not enough. As I have lost, have more energy and in general I am a more active person, so I kept the 1 lb a week to lose, but upped my activity level, so now I eat a base of 1600 plus exercise and I find that I am coming off my plateau and losing again! We are not all the same - you need to find what will work for you and be willing to change again if needed.

Good luck!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Most days I'm taking in around 1500 cals. I workout about 5-6 days a week burning between 600-1000 cals each session.
    So yah on a "normal" day of 1500 cals and working out, I'm under 1200.
    hmmmm

I mean, the reality is that different people are going to respond different ways to certain things. But, IMHO, increasing your calories is a much better idea (in terms of health) than decreasing them at this point. :wink: Try it for a month & see where it takes you. I read (I'm going to blame SHBoss for this one) that if you increase your calorie intake gradually (50 calories more every few days) it will be easier for your body to adjust to the new calorie intake.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau and realized that 1200 calories was just not enough. So I talked to a nutirtionist and found out what my BMR is (see the tools tab up at the top of this screen) and now I eat my BMR but do not eat back calories unless I go below 1200. Once I started eating almost 1600 cals a day I started losing weight again.
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!! I can eat more!!!!!!!!

Those of you that are my "friends" have seen my struggles with getting further than 11lbs....then finally 2 more...but nothing so far this week and weigh in is tomorrow! I am going to my goals right now and I am changing it. Lets see what happens!

I really feel great about my weight loss but my gut tells me my metabolism isnt where it should be. At my weight, with the drastic changes I have made, the lbs should be falling off of me. and they are not!

Heres to eating more!!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I've said it a thousand times.... You have to fuel the fire to make it burn...... If I could had grasped this concept years ago, I wouldn't be where I am today.... I had my metabolism totally confused!!! Thanks to the great advice I have gotten from MFP, I am finally on the right track!! Fuel the fire!!!
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!! I can eat more!!!!!!!!

Those of you that are my "friends" have seen my struggles with getting further than 11lbs....then finally 2 more...but nothing so far this week and weigh in is tomorrow! I am going to my goals right now and I am changing it. Lets see what happens!

I really feel great about my weight loss but my gut tells me my metabolism isnt where it should be. At my weight, with the drastic changes I have made, the lbs should be falling off of me. and they are not!

Heres to eating more!!

And give it a few weeks for your body to adjust. It wont happen over night so don't get frustrated.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 lbs. to lose, so it will be hard. As I have gotten closer to my goal (5 lbs away) I have upped my cals to 1400 a day. 1200 was way too little! Keep on trying and you will see results.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yep...it isnt ALWAYS the answer, but in your case, I bet you need to eat more :)
    I started out eating hte recommended 1200 cals. I wasnt losing ANYTHING, even though I was doing major exercising and eating good calories (as opposed to the junk I had been eating). I read through the forums and found out I should be eating to my BMR.
    I now eat 1450 cals a day, feel much better, have more energy, and have lost 6 lbs QUICKLY! I know I wont continue to drop 6lbs overnight, but it sure feels good to know that Im on the right track.
    I had a mental block about eating MORE when I was trying to lose. I was scared to experiment, for fear that I would gain. I will admit, I freaked a little when I gained at first, but I kept it up and continue to drink my water, workout, and eat back my exercise cals, and I am noticing MAJOR differences. :)
    Good luck!
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    I found at one point, I upped my calories to 1400 instead of 1200 and I was less hungry and started losing more weight. Just have to listen to your body I guess...
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    Great article explaining eating enough calories and not worrying horribly about those minor little overeating setbacks.
    http://thebodyfirm.biz/blog/index.php/2010/02/this-is-your-metabolism-this-is-your-metabolism-on-a-low-calorie-diet/