Working out 1st thing in the morning?

Options
Hello all! I am not new to MFP or losing weight but I've always wondered is it ok to work out 1st thing in the morning.? No breakfast, no protein shakes, bananas, etc. Just get up, warm up, then work out?...

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that or a long time. I don't understand how people can eat, then work out. But, I do have some coffee first. I really don't thinking could do it with out coffee.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that for over a year with no problem. I'm up at 5:15 to get my workout done before the family gets up, and I do it all on a empty stomach. If I'm running, I usually have a couple of glasses of water before I'm out the door, but if it's a home workout, I just keep my water bottle handy and get to it.
  • ericastock
    Options
    I'm the same way - I think its just personal preference. Some people get nauseous working out on a full stomach, others get dizzy doing on an empty stomach. Me, a cup a Joe, then I hit the trail! :)
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Exercise whenever you want, or whenever your schedule allows. I HATE getting up in the morning, so I exercise in the afternoon. Or during work, I go for a walk. I don't think there's a rule about the time of day having an impact on your workout.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i dont know from a biology side... but i used to grab a banana eat that as i got ready then half hour walk to the gym then have some actual breakfast when i got home. worked great for me :) (this was waaaay before i found mfp), i had to have something or id feel really sick and the workout would be slow, and pretty pointless... but a banana kept me going :D lol
    if it works for you its fine i say you know your own body best :)
    x
  • JeanneKFH
    Options
    I prefer to work out first thing in the morning and normally do it on an empty stomach. I have eaten a banana or handful of blueberries before a workout and don't have any problems walking, but wouldn't recommend eating anything before doing a Jillian Michaels workout (it may make you feel nauseated.) I like to get workout in so I can shower and be ready for the day. Besides if I wait until afternoon, I'm more likely to skip the workout.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It really is an individual thing. I eat two slices of toast before I run, cycle or go to the gym. My stomach can't handle a ton of food before I workout and even more so before I run. If I'm running a full or half marathon I'll do a half cup of oatmeal with some honey about an hour to two hours before the race so it has time to settle. Everyone has to find out what works for them through trial and error :smile:
  • Peshaa
    Peshaa Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok thanks so much yall! I really appreciate all your input. I've always wondered if it was ok... I feel like if I dont work out 1st thing when I wake up I'll skip it. Thanks again!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, I prefer to work out in the morning. I find that on weekdays, I am more productive with work when I get in my morning workout.

With regard to food, if I know I am going to a hard exercise class in this morning, I will eat rather lightly to prevent nauseous feelings. This works well for me.
  • lisaann1061
    lisaann1061 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wake up at five forty every morning, roll out of bed and head to the six fifteen class (spinning, bootcamp) every morning. I never eat before and have never had a problem
  • Peshaa
    Peshaa Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks again yall!