LENT!

Options
Those that are participating in this, what are you giving up?
I'm giving up peanut butter. I have a sick obsession (no really, its sick) and feel I'm adding on an extra (average) 400 cals/day just eating spoonfuls out of the jar! Sadly, I do this all the time!
2 TBS. = 190 cals.

Replies

• supercool111
    Options
    I've given up dairy... Its only a day and a half in and I'm already struggling! I had to make pasta for breakfast this morning because there was no other dairy free food in my friend's house!
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am giving up McDonalds and diet coke, and if you know me you know I love diet coke and I love Mcdonald's diet coke the most!
  • nsawyer11
    Options
    O.K I gave up picking while i am cooking and picking off my kids plate...whew I never knew how much i picked! those are calories that add up and you don't even think about it! this is only my 2nd day on "myfitnesspal'..I am enjoying...good luck to all!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I gave up Lent for Lent. It's working out well so far...:)

The PB was a great idea. A sacrifice of something you enjoy, that will be difficult. I hope you see how much it helps and can at least leave the spoon alone at the end.

Be very careful giving up whole food groups like that. You are cutting out a huge swath of nutrients thaat you will find it hard to replace. You could give up milk, or yogurt, or cheese (what's your crutch?) and still find it difficult.
  • racheysmom
    racheysmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gave up all types of snack chips. Potato, doritos, corn chips etc.
    Good luck to all!!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i gave up facebook. :D
    dawn
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but I'll jump in to be supportive and have people who are also struggling with me :-)

I am going to give up excuses for not working out every day. I am a master excuse maker. Unfortunately, I'm a master bull****-caller as well so I know that my excuses are bunk deep down. No more! I will work out every single day, whether it's at the gym, on the Wii or doing a DVD. I started the 30 Day Shred so hopefully that'll keep me motivated for the first 30 days hehe
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am giving up restaurants...except for subway! that is one place i don't feel bad about going to when there is nothing to eat. But all other restaurants. As I am writing this i realized i have a lunch thing at work next week and guess what...we are going to a restaurant. Does it count??? hahaha. It was planned weeks ago. oh boy...one day in and I am already going to blow it.
  • cherie2304
    Options
    dawn

Oh good luck girl...I so couldn't think I could do that. I'm pulling for you.
  • IsabellaCullen
    Options
    I gave up sweets & fast food.

Eating at McD's last night made me sick ... probably partly from the food & partly from inhaling it so quickly (I had a messed up schedule so didn't eat for about 7 hours - I was famished!!)

As for the sweets, I use splenda in my coffee, and i will continue to do so, but I am eliminating all the nonsensical stuff that I snack on when i am down in the dumps -- chocolate, lollipops, etc. The only exception to this rule (if it is necessary) will be cough drops if i get sick.
  • cherie2304
    Options
    I gave up sweets & fast food.

Eating at McD's last night made me sick ... probably partly from the food & partly from inhaling it so quickly (I had a messed up schedule so didn't eat for about 7 hours - I was famished!!)

As for the sweets, I use splenda in my coffee, and i will continue to do so, but I am eliminating all the nonsensical stuff that I snack on when i am down in the dumps -- chocolate, lollipops, etc. The only exception to this rule (if it is necessary) will be cough drops if i get sick.

can i just tell you that it is so nice to see other Twilight fans. Love your ticker and your profile pic!!!! Can June come already??? hahaha
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    dawn

Oh good luck girl...I so couldn't think I could do that. I'm pulling for you.

Yes, good luck with that!!!! I just yesterday deleted all my photo albums and 100 of my friends. im slowly trying to wean myself away!!!!
  • jaune
    jaune Posts: 29
    Options
    Great post! I'm giving up sugar (the candy stuff) and you have JUST convinced me to give up peanut butter!! I, too, love it and will find myself spooning it into my mouth in the middle of the night!! ahhh!!!! I'm also trying to do positive things, not gossip, pray more, just try to be a better person....aren't we all!! this is a great site, thanks for all the support!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    My daughter is giving up complaining.

I am giving up worrying about stuff...I'm just going to give it to God to handle for me

Noncaloric...but, positive
  • vanzmom
    Options
    I gave up everything white......bread, potatoes and pasta. No junk food or fast food. I hope I survive!
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up fried foods!! I was already tempted last night after we went to chruch. I hadn't eaten dinner yet so we ended up at a pub!! people ordered deep fried pickles and onion rings!!! I ended up with a tuna melt and a salad...whew that was tough!!!!!
  • monica1515
    Options

I am giving up worrying about stuff...I'm just going to give it to God to handle for me

Love it!!
  • sillysallyf
    sillysallyf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am giving up cigarettes, bread, fast food restaurants and sweet. I CAN DO THIS!! The cigarettes and bread will probably be the hardest.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

Love it!!

Thanks, our pastor once said, Lent for giving up spiritual things or improvement...not, necessarily food or tangible items
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets. Day and a half down! :-)