Massage Therapy calories burned....help!

Options
2»

Replies

• tumblebumble
    tumblebumble Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wore a calorie counter/heart monitor for a week while in my clinic. I found that it fluctuated a great deal not only from type of massage but to the client I was working on as well. (some people are less work then other I guess) Some 60 minute massages burned more then a 90 minute. It went from 42 cals to 600 cals a session. with an ave of 48 for a typical relaxation massage.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    don't forget though that 120-180 of those calories are your BMR, and woulda been burned had you just stood around doing nothing. So that 300 burned from your heart rate monitor means the burn from doing massage is only 80-20.

for reference, sitting doing nothing is about 120ish calories and standing is about 180 calories an hour.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Extra calories burned if it's me whom you're massaging.

True story.
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When you first start doing massage you burn alot more as your body is unaccustomed to the movement and stress on it, but after that I do not think you burn hardly any.
    Especially for something basic like S.A. If you are doing deep tissue with lots of stretching on your client you could probably say you burned more, but honestly even if you are doing 8 a day, I would just consider it a job and part of life... I would not consider logging the calories burned. but that's just me. =/
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...as a massage therapist, I am curious as to how many calories are burned per hour of massage. I have checked multiple sites and their numbers seem extremely high...Is anyone out there a therapist, too? or does anyone know where I can find a trusted site on calorie burning? Thanks for the help! :flowerforyou:

When I was a therapist I looked and looked and also could not get a good answer. I was a LMT for eight years and during that time is when I packed on the pounds. Working as much as I did, mostly deep tissue, I was always hungry and figured I would burn the calories my next sessions..not so much. I really wish someone would have told me that besides wrist injuries, you can gain weight. :( Good luck finding out!
  • BeautifulEnctr
    Options
    This is what I just found!!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=117

Hope it helps!! I was in the same boat!

Katie
  • DANIELLE0815
    DANIELLE0815 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am LMT also was wondering about this, thank you for all the helpful info!
  • autumn229
    autumn229 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No wonder I am always so hungry when I massage!! Thanks for posting the helpful info :)
  • kenalucy
    kenalucy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What about for an 80 or 90m massage?
  • mthabetz
    Options
    I have been an LMT for 2 years, and I typically do @ 6 50 minute sessions per day, 5 days per week. (Guess where I work?) By the most conservative estimates here, that should mean I burn @ 1,000 calories per day, and based on my myfitnesspal numbers, I should be able to eat @ 3,000 calories per day and lose weight. I'm here to tell ya, it ain't true. This has been the source of some frustration for me, as it was among my motives for choosing massage as a profession that I thought it would help me lose weight. I suppose the fact that many of my teachers struggled with their weight might have been a clue. In my experience, most therapists actually gain weight when they start, and the only exceptions I can think of pursue some course of rigorous exercise outside of work. I am really at a loss as to why this would be true, as I have recently been going to the KoKo Fit Club, which calculates calories burned during my 40 minute strength training session, and it's typically @ 300 calories, and doesn't seem significantly more strenuous than giving a massage, particularly if it's deep tissue. But, although it's baffling and frustrating, I've stopped counting any calotie burn whatsoever for my work.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It is funny you ask because at times I wondered about the same. The problem I see is, you will burn calories, but I don't think they will be enough to make a difference for fitness purposes. When I used to give more massages I would feel tired after a couple of them, not physically tired, but without energy. My weight was never affected by me giving massages, so I never tried to find out how many calories I was burning.
  • cakeyp84
    Options
    Hello! I am a MT and want to add massage into my exercise diary. It doesn't come up as an excercise when I search. Does anyone else have this issue?