Aldi's helps me eat healthy and save money

Options
I recommend Aldi's stores to anybody that can't afford the neighborhood grocer and are trying to eat healthy. I found the fruits and vegetable prices to be lower and equal in quality. At one time, I used to snub Aldi's but I have really enjoyed going there and it feels good to fill up my cabinets and refrigerator for $100. I would not recommend the diet soda there, but I'm a diet COKE fiend and nothing can come between me and my brand name soda. Oh, and don't forget to bring a quarter and grocery bags. Trust me, the boxes they give you, if you don't have a quarter for the cart, get heavy after a little while.

Replies

• Dsnyfrk921
    Dsnyfrk921 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    They are building one across the street from me. I can't wait until it opens.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's! Their meat and vegetables are super cheap, so is their fruit. Definitely a great place to shop on a budget
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I was so excited when I moved last year because there's an Aldi 10 minutes down the road. Around here the produce can be questionable, but I can't complain about anything else I've purchased there. I love their fit & active line, it really helps when it comes to snack foods for work. I almost always have some of the fruit strips in my desk, only 50 cals and they're so yummy!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    They do some fantastic fish products too. I love their lightly dusted lemon sole. Their prepackaged sandwich meat is great quality also
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I love aldi too.
    The super 6 they do each week is brilliant.
    I often go in and find their mined meat and packed meats are reduced too so pick up loads and freeze them.

It's even better now as they have also built a Lidl store right next door so now I can use both in one shopping trip.

I often can fill a trolley full of food for under £60
  • mattness09
    mattness09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's not for everybody, but definitely worth trying out. Just like everybody, you will find things you like and don't like. It's trial and error.
  • NatashaGodber
    Options
    We are trying Aldi's for the first time tomorrow xx
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    They have tasty tasty hummus for $1.99 and whole frozen chickens for $0.85 a lb. They're always my first stop on shopping day; I can get almost everything I need there for way cheap and then I just have to make a quick run somewhere else to fill in whatever they didn't have.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    where do you all live? i thought they were only in missouri and illinois...I live in Missouri and shop there! :)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    we have an Aldi's that we frequent too, and you get your quarter back for the shopping cart!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    love Aldi and Lidl saves me alot on a big grocery bill!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about shopping there but I'm terrified that the reason they are cheaper is because they are more processed, have more anti-biotics, have more pesticides, or are just overall crap compared to foods at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I want to shop there, but first I need to know why they can undercut their competitors by 20% when they are essentially giving the same products.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    where do you all live? i thought they were only in missouri and illinois...I live in Missouri and shop there! :)
    I live in Georgia, theres been one here for years.
  • Karenvonw
    Karenvonw Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love seeing this!! I totally work at an Aldi's!! Of course I shop there too. Just nice to see that so many people enjoy shopping at a place that I enjoy being a part of. :laugh:
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    There's an Aldi down the street from my house. I'm actually going there today. :smile: I always hit up Aldi before I go to the regular supermarket. A gallon of milk is only $1.79! I find the produce to be hit or miss though...have to inspect them carefully! I bought a couple of their canvas bags the first time I went and now I just take those with me so I don't have to keep buying their bags lol.
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE Aldi's!! I don't understand the stigma with shopping there. It has great food, awesome prices and (at mine) wonderful service. They've closed the one closest to me for renovations. Let me tell you my wallet is feeling it :{
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE Aldi's!! I don't understand the stigma with shopping there.

The Aldi stores local to me are in the 'ghetto'. I went there once and a woman slammed the door in my face. It also wasn't clean or very well stocked. Maybe just a bad experience at that particular location, but those kind of things are important when choosing somewhere to shop.
  • Karenvonw
    Karenvonw Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I recommend Aldi's stores to anybody that can't afford the neighborhood grocer and are trying to eat healthy. I found the fruits and vegetable prices to be lower and equal in quality. At one time, I used to snub Aldi's but I have really enjoyed going there and it feels good to fill up my cabinets and refrigerator for $100. I would not recommend the diet soda there, but I'm a diet COKE fiend and nothing can come between me and my brand name soda. Oh, and don't forget to bring a quarter and grocery bags. Trust me, the boxes they give you, if you don't have a quarter for the cart, get heavy after a little while.

If you don't have a quarter, just go in and ask one of the cashiers we will always just let you borrow one. :smile:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do love my Aldis especially for milk, bread and cereal their prices can't be beat. Although I am not crazy about our produce section it can be really questionable and not consistent. I usually supplement with the produce section at my Walmart their banana prices cannot be touched even by Aldis. Just went to Aldis today and for $34 I bought my weeks worth of groceries for 3 of us that includes packing lunches for all three of us during the week.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about shopping there but I'm terrified that the reason they are cheaper is because they are more processed, have more anti-biotics, have more pesticides, or are just overall crap compared to foods at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I want to shop there, but first I need to know why they can undercut their competitors by 20% when they are essentially giving the same products.

Visit their website the exact reasons should be found there, but I know that they don't have plastic/paper bags, you have to bring your own or use boxes from the packaging. They don't lose money on lost grocery carts because you have to use a quarter to get one out of the line. They have all the products stacked in their shipping boxes to form the aisles. And they don't have to pay for the brand name advertising since its mostly all their own brands.