Strength Training at Home

Options
I currently only own dumbells up to 1.5kg so nothing worth talking about, really, but they're useful for 30DS. I really want to try and do more weights/strength training but I have quite severe social anxiety and gyms just turn me into a panicking wreck and euggh... even the thought makes me feel ill. Also, I can't really afford joining a gym just now as I'm off work LT sick.

Anyway, is it possible to do it at home?

I only have a small apartment so couldn't have any massive weights or anything, but... eh. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments on how to make it possible? Places to get cheap weights? I'm in the UK if that helps :flowerforyou:

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Sure you can do it at home. You could get some exercise bands and do quite a bit with them. Also things you can do just using your own weight like pushups. Check out some of these

http://www.3fatchicks.com/strength-training-without-weights-simple-exercises/

You can Google other things. You might also want to get a swiss ball, you can do a lot with that and inexpensive too
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Never heard of bands so I shall check them out, thank you. Thanks for the ideas. I really appreciate it :smile:
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    I have a great strength training DVD I do right in my living room! It's called RIP. Great combo of legs, arms, back, tummy. Check it out!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Argos do cheap weights. Loads of people (ladies) seem to have the Davina McCall weight sets.
    Sports direct are probably worth a look.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've had friends fill up milk jugs and use those as weights for things like tricep press or even carry them with you for weighted lunges. Also, ive heard of filling a backpack with heavy items and do squats or something. Just really make sure you're focusing on your form since the weight is behind you as opposed to on top (shoulders). Good luck!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    None of whats been recommended here is really strength training. It's instead endurance training.

If you want strength training, find very heavy weights that you do with compound movements in the 5-7 rep range.

alternately if you only have access to bodyweight, find bodyweight compound movements where you body can only do 5-7 reps.