Curvy girls who lost weight

124»

Replies

• plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    I know exactly what you mean!
    I've been curvy all my life, from 107 to 167.
    I have a shapely butt, big boobs, and a thin waist.
    Nothing ever looks right on me especially all the trends now which are loose shirts and oversized sweaters.
    So I decided to go with what works for me.
    Luckily skinny jeans make me look great, but everything else thats popular and trendy looks wrong.
    Thats why I found it very refreshing to go for 50's and 40's inspired clothes. Everything fits like a dream!
    A pin-up style looks great on an hourglass shape and looks so cute and put together.
  • I would class myself as curvy. I have a 27 inch waist, 37 inch hips and horrible 28H cup boobs. Even after losing 15lbs, clothes are still awkward to find, sorry!

OMG...28H cup boobs? And i thought my 42DDD were painful
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    I was hoping the same thing. I was like Yay clothes will look better on me... but honestly I still can't wear a loose fitting flowy shirt and make it look nice without a belt, I still have to accentuate my waist if I'm not wearing something form fitting, and I still can't find jeans that fit thighs, hips AND waist. I fit into a smaller size, but I'm essentially the same shape.

Like I always tell my little sister, You gotta dress for your shape not for your size, and you'll always look nice.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    I know exactly what you mean!
    I've been curvy all my life, from 107 to 167.
    I have a shapely butt, big boobs, and a thin waist.
    Nothing ever looks right on me especially all the trends now which are loose shirts and oversized sweaters.
    So I decided to go with what works for me.
    Luckily skinny jeans make me look great, but everything else thats popular and trendy looks wrong.
    Thats why I found it very refreshing to go for 50's and 40's inspired clothes. Everything fits like a dream!
    A pin-up style looks great on an hourglass shape and looks so cute and put together.

i'm the same way with trends. its mostly a bit of skinny jeans i can pull off though i look borderline this in them = http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UCdUYW1mOOM/T2pXkWB5Q3I/AAAAAAAABNU/iVGCKcNFLUk/s1600/Marilyn+Monroe+mirror.jpg

but i must try the 40s/50s look. you know, hubby likes the whole old fashion wife thing anyway, it might work out.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Curious if after your loss, if clothing trends worked better on you or if they were still awkward. I know fashion seems to favor the less curvey, but honestly I want to able to sport some of the trends ... but not all look good on my current curves.

So, speaking in terms of measurement and structure curves, not fat, when you lost weight did that help any? Or am I wishful hoping?

i'm still only half way to my goal but now i'm a more "normal" size 12. before i was a 20/22 and i had a hard time finding stuff that fit well.

my current avatar is me in skinny jeans. they didnt look right on me at size 22, but at a size 12 they look great. my overall body shape hasnt changed, so the difference must be in the cut of the pants.

in general you should always find stuff that works for your body regardless if it's a trend. you can always trendy up a more classic piece via accessories. what i'm finding is that as i lose weight i look more and more like an hourglass (waist is getting smaller, boobs are staying the same size and squats and deadlifts are giving me a round and high booty).

i love wearing dresses, but a lot of the modern dresses seem to be geared for ruler or apple shapes, but i'm finding that vintage style dresses are working best. pin up style stuff i look fantastic in as well. a lot of current dresses are boxy shaped or empire waists. i look bad in those type dresses so i usually go for wrap, sheath or a line.

another issue i have is that i have a short waist, so there's 3" of space between the bottom of my ribcage and the start of my hip bone. combine that with having large breasts, i can very easily look much larger than i actually am if i'm wearing the wrong thing.

i like this link :
    http://www.typef.com/article/dress-short-waisted-hourglass-body/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Curious if after your loss, if clothing trends worked better on you or if they were still awkward. I know fashion seems to favor the less curvey, but honestly I want to able to sport some of the trends ... but not all look good on my current curves.

So, speaking in terms of measurement and structure curves, not fat, when you lost weight did that help any? Or am I wishful hoping?

Some seasons, it's really easy to find clothes that flatter my hourglass and some seasons, NOTHING works on me. It isn't really a size issue. It's the cut. A big part of the problem is that only 8% of women are true hourglasses, so they don't make clothes for us. They don't seem to realize that a woman can be very thin, but still have large breasts and hips.
  • wrevhn
    i found this http://www.curvissa.co.uk/Shape-Calculator/inspire_Shape_calculator.stm?

it tells you what you are, i measured and entered mine. Got hrgls. & it gives you suggestions for clothing types too. neato burrito.

OOPS, THAT LINK IS PLUS SIZES.
    another:
    http://www.westfield.com.au/au/be-inspired/services/fashion-services/style-kit/body-shape-calculator/
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    The biggest difference I see in fit, besides the numbers of course, is that jeans now fit my *kitten* the way they were designed to. I no longer have to deal with the gap in the back, or hiking them up every time I stand up because my hips were disproportionately larger than my waist and nothing fit right.
  • Mexie1
    Mexie1 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm 36-27-36, 30G and wear a UK12. I find most clothes are designed for straight-up-and-down bodies and don't suit me. Losing weight hasn't made any difference.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I think I fall in that category. Clothes now fit a little better, but I still have the loose waist, tight butt/bust in most things. The good news is that I had some of my larger clothes altered to fit me and those fit just right! Nothing like custom clothing!!

The better news is that when clothes don't fit well, I don't mind as much - I'm not as critical. I am now working on losing about 4 more pounds to see if that helps. One size is definitely baggy while the size smaller is uncomfortable in the butt. I'm thinking that instead of my body losing the fat in the hips, I'll just have the same issue - just be a size smaller. Oh well....
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I may be a guy, but I know one of my athletic, curvy female friends buys a lot of her jeans from Dorinha, a Canadian company founded by a Brazilian woman. She basically has the same shapely body as Jaime Koeppe, the model on the right. If their jeans can fit her curves, it may be worth checking into for yourself.

2i6md1e.jpg
  • wrevhn
    I may be a guy, but I know one of my athletic, curvy female friends buys a lot of her jeans from Dorinha, a Canadian company founded by a Brazilian woman. She basically has the same shapely body as Jaime Koeppe, the model on the right. If their jeans can fit her curves, it may be worth checking into for yourself.

2i6md1e.jpg

oh wow thanks! and if she has that gals body, oh my lucky girl ;)

I'm checking it out now!

edit - GA HAS A LOCATION THAT SELLS!
  • misslegz
    misslegz Posts: 196 Member
    Curvy girl here!! Since losing weight I find that everything fits like it is supposed to from bras and panties to jeans and shoes!!! Shopping is so fun these days!! I used to always want to wear the latest trends and never could. There is hope!! Shopping becomes an all new activity!!

My fave jeans are Amethyst Jeans. They are damn cute and are very inexpensive!!

12309460.png
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Sweet =) I hope you find something you like.

But as someone stated earlier, as you lean down, you will maintain your body's natural shape. So if you naturally have a wide hip-to-waist ratio with a bubble butt - or any other shapely butt variation - and shapely legs, you're going to keep that. Lifting moderate to heavy and increasing lean body mass will help with the measurements and the contour of the curves as well.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member

exactly those measurments with a huge 40 *kitten*, which has been always there unfortunately, so I think I would fit into this category? I just solve the problem by wearing what looks good, and staying well away from fashion.... Most of it is terrible anyway :P
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Dresses! Dresses! Dresses! Before I lost weight my husband taught me that dresses showed my shape better. So I mostly wear very sexy dresses everywhere. But New York & Co has pants and jeans for curvy girls.