would you date someone with no lisence?

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    A mistake "years" ago?

Humm, interesting.

People do not just lose their license for years and years for a simple mistake.

I think I would do some investigation into the matter and find out the truth.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    What was the mistake?

I thought the original question would just be someone without a license. I live in Toronto, 90% of the people I know don't have a license. The 10% that do are usually not FROM Toronto. lol.

But like there was a reason ... it was losing his license, not just "not having" it. WAY different.
    If he lost his license because he killed someone then NO I would not date that person.
    If he was caught drunk driving or something like that, no accidents happened and he has learned from it, yeah I would date him.

It depends on the situation and the reason.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Would I date someone with no "lisence"...
    Before I answer that question: Would you date someone who never used facebook?

Bonkers....

So because I have a medical problem prohibiting me from driving until I was 30 makes me "bonkers"?
    Nice.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I currently don't own a car. I haven't had one for about 3 years. I ride my bike and take public transportation.
    I have a license, though.

I have a friend in his early 40's who's never had a license. He's always lived in big cities where it's not needed.

As for losing your license, it depends on if he's changed or not. Someone who lost it due to reckless driving or DUI's and has truly turned their life around? Sure, I'm game. Still partying and engaging in risky behavior? No thanks.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    well if you do it will keep you fit walking! :bigsmile:
  • Sillykitty88
    Options
    He lost it from getting two DUIs. Seems to have honestly learned from his mistake. Has a great job, house, etc. We live in a very spread out rural town where the only means of transportation is by a car.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    He lost it from getting two DUIs. Seems to have honestly learned from his mistake. Has a great job, house, etc. We live in a very spread out rural town where the only means of transportation is by a car.

If he is sober, yes, that is learning from his mistakes.

Lots of people come into the rooms and make a change in their life after getting a couple of DUIs. What state are you in? Most states you do not lose your license until after the THIRD DUI.

If he is still drinking, no way.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    I think you'd have to be very silly and narrow minded for this to stop you liking someone. I don't mind!
  • holographic
    Options

Bonkers....

So because I have a medical problem prohibiting me from driving until I was 30 makes me "bonkers"?
    Nice.

I suspect you have taken my post out of context and quite literally ;)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    I think you'd have to be very silly and narrow minded for this to stop you liking someone. I don't mind!

So calling her names is your idea of how properly to respond to her question?

Trust me, when you get more than 20 years on you, maybe you will understand more about life. People with experience in this subject know that it can be very tiring to feel like someones taxi as well as made to feel responsible to drive their loved one places. He also lost his license from making a series of very bad decisions. I do not believe her question was silly or narrow minded at all.

Another thing, there is away more importance placed on being able to drive in the Unite States than Europe, we do not have the public transportation system you guys do over there.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Bonkers....

Nice.

I suspect you have taken my post out of context and quite literally ;)

perhaps I did. As someone who couldn't drive due to issues beyond my control...
    I'm just so so glad my husband doesn't think like many of the people here!
    sorry, the sarcasm went over my head. :drinker:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone in the world have to drive? Maybe they lost their license and decided they were better off without it?
    I've never driven and don't intend to.
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    did you see this on a POF profile? I did ...
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I dated someone who lost theirs from drink driving. It wasn't a deal breaker, lots of people either don't drive or don't have a car. It doesn't make them any less of a person. I don't condone drink driving & in hindsight that guy was a big douche but people lose their license from speeding, running red lights, not paying fines - it happens & unless the guy/gal is a douche then it shouldn't matter.

:smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok, just wondering, if you met someone that was awesome but had no license** from a mistake made years ago, would you be able to date them if everything else in their life was right on track?

**Spelling the word license wrong probably did not help my case. **runs and hides**

For someone to not have a license due to an infraction from years ago is worrying. It would have to be something pretty bad (if you said what, sorry. I haven't read through the thread).

Just not having ever gotten one, though, isn't a deal breaker. Two of my friends married men who didn't drive and they are both really amazing men. They have since gotten their licenses, though.

And if you live somewhere like NYC or Boston, it matters even less because most people don't drive much, if at all, in those cities.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    But, of course.

Wait...does he have a library card? THAT's the deal breaker!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've always lived in big cities and always will. i'd sooner date someone with no license than some hick from a small town who'd never left that small town.

and yep i'm a cosmosnobitan and damn proud of it.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I live in Boston so half the people I know don't have a license and I'm talking people in their' mid to late twenties. There no reason to have a car here, the traffic is awful, there's NO WHERE TO PARK EVER & the T can get you basically anywhere...so yes I certainly would but I'd think it was weird if a yuppie didn't have a license because like why wouldn't they when they can't really get around any other way?
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Not going there again. Ever. Pick a man with a job, a car, (a license), and treats his mother with respect. For starters...

THIS^^^^^^^ Never, never again
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes. Who cares if someone doesn't drive? I honestly find this to be a weird question.