KFC - Startling Realization!

Options

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you being opened minded about your daughter wanting to try a food or restaurant she's not tried. After reading so many of the responses I get the feeling that many people would not be so accommodating and open minded.

As for KFC, it's salty, greasy and I used to like it once in a great while. I had it once early this year, but now it might be too much for me now. Personal tastes change over time and all that.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well wow to saying wow because for example, the mountain dew isn't even really food. It's just chemicals+refined sugar. Why would you want to get kids hooked on fast food or soda pop for that matter? It's addictive and terrible for you. Moreover, it's barely even nutritious.
  • frank513
    frank513 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why even start her wanting it?

My mom and dad got it last week and reported it being half raw.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

what is the point of filling your kid with the crap the fast food places serve?

My gf came home with a two liter of mtn dew the other day.....as she was unpacking the groceries i walked in saw it and immediately poured it down the sink saying "We are not going to poison our kids anymore!"

Junk food is forbidden in the house at all now!

Dont give her the chance to take a liken to that stuff!

Wow to both....:huh:

wow as in?
  • frank513
    Options
    Well wow to saying wow because for example, the mountain dew isn't even really food. It's just chemicals+refined sugar. Why would you want to get kids hooked on fast food or soda pop for that matter? It's addictive and terrible for you. Moreover, it's barely even nutritious.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    if ur there and it is so few and far between going there..go ahead and have something its not going to really hurt ur weight loss unless u go over board... and i tried the grilled chicken...i didnt care for it... they still left the skin on it and it tasted funky and was kinda slimey feeling to me...i didnt finnish it.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options

My "Wow" was actually directed at the "close-mindedness" (is that a word? :smile: ). My children have never had Mountain Dew and I have no intentions of giving it to them. Somehow my "wow" was construed as a promotion of this for children??? Wow.

Also, I don't see the harm in the OP letting her child try KFC, if she makes a big deal about her NEVER having it then it will likely just make the child want to try it more. Hopefully her child does not like it. However, if she unfortunately does like it, then there is something called moderation....
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

My gf came home with a two liter of mtn dew the other day.....as she was unpacking the groceries i walked in saw it and immediately poured it down the sink saying "We are not going to poison our kids anymore!"

I agree. The first two are really..."gung-ho" with their beliefs on bad food.

There's nothing wrong with trying it, or having it. It's when it's the only thing you eat that it's the worst thing you could do. It's like with meal portions -- just because grilling your own chicken is good for you, doesn't mean that you can eat 3 lbs of it, and all your mashed potatoes and green beans. Just teach your kids to use moderation, don't ban them from it. Then it's like drugs or something else you don't want your kids having. You keep it from them? They want it more.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    Options
    Thank you!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I get 2 or 3 of the Grilled Chicken Breast (220 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 40 grams of Protein) with a Diet Pepsi.... They are very good, now you need to skip the fried chicken and potato wedges but there is healthy choices there..... Best of Luck....
  • malicent
    malicent Posts: 127
    Options
    kfc_o_149796.jpg
  • frank513
    Options

There's nothing wrong with trying it, or having it. It's when it's the only thing you eat that it's the worst thing you could do. It's like with meal portions -- just because grilling your own chicken is good for you, doesn't mean that you can eat 3 lbs of it, and all your mashed potatoes and green beans. Just teach your kids to use moderation, don't ban them from it. Then it's like drugs or something else you don't want your kids having. You keep it from them? They want it more.

So in your analogy I should let my kids do drugs every now and then so they dont crave it?

Why would I want to give my kids junk food and soda, when there are 1000000 other things that are just as good flavor wise that are not junk- We have loads of fruit, veggies, lowcal granola bars, healthy cheeses, that are even better than junk.

We are under the impression that we NEED the junk food from time to time, why is that? My kids want for nothing in life. They have parents who love them and spend any and all free time we have with them.....

My goal is my kids will NEVER ever need this site! To never get diabetes like their father did and worked his *kitten* off to get rid of all signs of it.

I want them to be healthy as possible and junk food and crap is not on the menu......
  • victorious27
    Options

So in your analogy I should let my kids do drugs every now and then so they dont crave it?

Why would I want to give my kids junk food and soda, when there are 1000000 other things that are just as good flavor wise that are not junk- We have loads of fruit, veggies, lowcal granola bars, healthy cheeses, that are even better than junk.

We are under the impression that we NEED the junk food from time to time, why is that? My kids want for nothing in life. They have parents who love them and spend any and all free time we have with them.....

My goal is my kids will NEVER ever need this site! To never get diabetes like their father did and worked his *kitten* off to get rid of all signs of it.

I want them to be healthy as possible and junk food and crap is not on the menu......

You're twisting my words. I didn't say give them drugs, by "keeping it from them" I mean any knowledge at all. Instead of just saying "no" how about you teach them about it? If they still want it, they're going to get it eventually. Just because you say no to drugs doesn't mean to won't get it at school, or find a drug dealer three blocks away. Just because someone pours MT Dew down the sink doesn't mean they aren't going to a friends house and pigging out on pizza, nachos, all kinds of soda and popcorn. Don't be so closed minded.

I agree that when I have kids, I don't want them to ever need a site like this. But if they are curious about a junk food, tell them about it (especially why you want to keep it away from them), and if they're still curious...whether you want to keep it from them or not, they'll get a hold of it.

Nothing is wrong with moderation. Especially when they're going to get a hold of it somewhere else. Might as well teach them to moderate than to just "say no" and starve while they're at a friends house.

ETA: I also never said anyone needed anything. I just said that there is nothing wrong with moderation.
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options

so you think that forcing your children to ONLY eat healthy now is gonna keep them off this site? you have no idea what they will do once they no longer live in your home....good luck with that...and do you really know what they eat at school or at friends homes? I doubt it....
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options

^ This from a person who uses the word "liken". Now we are comparing legal food and drink to drugs. Moderation! I can't wait until the kids discover this food and go nuts behind their parent's backs ;-) Can't be there all the time, can you?? Uh oh.......
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Comparing letting your kid have a KFC snack to try it out to letting them take a hit off your joint isn't quite what the other person was saying. If you forbid your kid from partaking in all things food that may be questionable, they are going to have it behind your back and may binge on it when they leave home, hard to say. Personally, I see nothing wrong with letting the kids have a "fast food junk meal" once in a blue moon, and discussing why YOU choose what you eat off the menu helps them make wiser choices. Being a positive influence is far more important than deeming everything off limits.

Oh, and PS - If you had kept the receipt you could have taken the soda back to the store and gotten your money back rather than wasting $2. Kind of an obnoxious overreaction IMO.
  • iluvoptics
    Options
    My parents slyly kept me away from KFC too. Then i got a little rebellious as a teenager and HAD to try it just because my parents said 'no'. So I finally drove to one myself once I had my license. Unfortunately, I DID like it. I think it was a stage in life I had to go through to fully appreciate my health choices now. Sometimes you have to get fat and miserable before you make the conscious choice to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    Options
    I am with you Victorious! Some people just may not have heard of rebellion before. I agree with explaining why choosing a particular "food" is not a good choice and informing children. I have convinced my children that healthy food makes them grow taller and "junk" foods (meaning low nutritional value foods) don't make them grow taller. Now they ask me if something is healthy before they eat it.

My point is that there are other approaches besides an iron fist...that usually comes back to bite you in the a**. :smile:
  • frank513
    Options

so you think that forcing your children to ONLY eat healthy now is gonna keep them off this site? you have no idea what they will do once they no longer live in your home....good luck with that...and do you really know what they eat at school or at friends homes? I doubt it....

Yes, i know exactly what my kids eat at school.....they both pack lunches. and thankfully the best friend of both kids families are very very health conscience....when my daughter (who is 11) shops with me, she will read labels before she picks her snacks or cereal. And once they no longer live here, I am pretty confident the lessons they learned at home will stay with them.. Thankfully again, both are strong healthy intelligent children....
  • victorious27
    Options
    I am with you Victorious! Some people just may not have heard of rebellion before. I agree with explaining why choosing a particular "food" is not a good choice and informing children. I have convinced my children that healthy food makes them grow taller and "junk" food (meaning low nutritional value foods) don't make them grow taller. Now they ask me if something is healthy before they eat it.

My point is that there are other approaches besides an iron fist...that usually comes back to bite you in the a**. :smile:

Haha, thanks for the support! I love how you've gotten your kids to ask about healthy/unhealthy. Very creative! My parents did something like that with broccoli when I was younger (which, amazingly, I love now). They told me that my hair would grow really pretty and long if I ate it all. :wink:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yes, i know exactly what my kids eat at school.....they both pack lunches. and thankfully the best friend of both kids families are very very health conscience....when my daughter (who is 11) shops with me, she will read labels before she picks her snacks or cereal. And once they no longer live here, I am pretty confident the lessons they learned at home will stay with them.. Thankfully again, both are strong healthy intelligent children....

Clearly you were never a teenager. Howd you get so lucky as to skip that phase?

:huh: