KFC - Startling Realization!

Options

Replies

• xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am with you Victorious! Some people just may not have heard of rebellion before. I agree with explaining why choosing a particular "food" is not a good choice and informing children. I have convinced my children that healthy food makes them grow taller and "junk" food (meaning low nutritional value foods) don't make them grow taller. Now they ask me if something is healthy before they eat it.

My point is that there are other approaches besides an iron fist...that usually comes back to bite you in the a**. :smile:

Haha, thanks for the support! I love how you've gotten your kids to ask about healthy/unhealthy. Very creative! My parents did something like that with broccoli when I was younger (which, amazingly, I love now). They told me that my hair would grow really pretty and long if I ate it all. :wink:

That is cute!!! Fortunately my kids LOVE broccoli but I will definitely try the hair trick on something else....:smile:
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes, i know exactly what my kids eat at school.....they both pack lunches. and thankfully the best friend of both kids families are very very health conscience....when my daughter (who is 11) shops with me, she will read labels before she picks her snacks or cereal. And once they no longer live here, I am pretty confident the lessons they learned at home will stay with them.. Thankfully again, both are strong healthy intelligent children....

Though I do pray that your children stay that way, you can't be sure of that. Just because you can monitor them now, doesn't mean you always will.

And teenagers (which they eventually will become) have their own source of income to buy what they want, when they want. And Daddy isn't there to watch them. You do seem to have a good handle on how they figure healthy/unhealthy...but pouring out a MT Dew is extreme. If they are healthy and intelligent enough to make those decisions, they should be healthy and intelligent enough to know to only drink one MT Dew and be done.
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options
    Why even start her wanting it?

My mom and dad got it last week and reported it being half raw.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

what is the point of filling your kid with the crap the fast food places serve?

My gf came home with a two liter of mtn dew the other day.....as she was unpacking the groceries i walked in saw it and immediately poured it down the sink saying "We are not going to poison our kids anymore!"

Junk food is forbidden in the house at all now!

Dont give her the chance to take a liken to that stuff!

Wow to both....:huh:

I agree. The first two are really..."gung-ho" with their beliefs on bad food.

There's nothing wrong with trying it, or having it. It's when it's the only thing you eat that it's the worst thing you could do. It's like with meal portions -- just because grilling your own chicken is good for you, doesn't mean that you can eat 3 lbs of it, and all your mashed potatoes and green beans. Just teach your kids to use moderation, don't ban them from it. Then it's like drugs or something else you don't want your kids having. You keep it from them? They want it more.

So in your analogy I should let my kids do drugs every now and then so they dont crave it?

Why would I want to give my kids junk food and soda, when there are 1000000 other things that are just as good flavor wise that are not junk- We have loads of fruit, veggies, lowcal granola bars, healthy cheeses, that are even better than junk.

We are under the impression that we NEED the junk food from time to time, why is that? My kids want for nothing in life. They have parents who love them and spend any and all free time we have with them.....

My goal is my kids will NEVER ever need this site! To never get diabetes like their father did and worked his *kitten* off to get rid of all signs of it.

I want them to be healthy as possible and junk food and crap is not on the menu......

so you think that forcing your children to ONLY eat healthy now is gonna keep them off this site? you have no idea what they will do once they no longer live in your home....good luck with that...and do you really know what they eat at school or at friends homes? I doubt it....

Yes, i know exactly what my kids eat at school.....they both pack lunches. and thankfully the best friend of both kids families are very very health conscience....when my daughter (who is 11) shops with me, she will read labels before she picks her snacks or cereal. And once they no longer live here, I am pretty confident the lessons they learned at home will stay with them.. Thankfully again, both are strong healthy intelligent children....

Well, how wonderful for you...you sound like the " PERFECT PARENT "....still doesn't mean things won't change when they grow up, then they will have there own minds to make their own choices, and that won't always be your way....
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would be worried about being too heavy handed with forcing food choices on your kids. Educating them, and giving them access to good food is great. However, when I was 9, and a little toothpick of a kid who didn't care at all about food, my mom came home one day and decided that every ounce of processed flour, sugar, etc needed to be thrown out.

Obviously looking back, this wasn't the only thing going on back then with me, but that's when I started sneaking food left and right, and started my life as a morbidly obese, food obsessed person.
  • Keltinator
    Options

LOL. As a teenager my parents were utterly convinced I ate healthily because I always ate well... in front of them. If they had been the ones taking the trash out of my room though... let's just say the evidence that would have suggested otherwise would have been brought to light...
  • prettyskinnyminmi
    Options
    :| Somehow it feels like someone is in denial that this can possibly happen to their child. Just my opinion.
  • iluvoptics
    Options
    I think all we can do as parents is to set a good role model, and know that it's ok to not be 100% perfect all the time. I packed a lunch to school... but threw half of it away and other friends shared their Hostess cakes with me ;) or smuggled me some treats from the hot lunch... I do admire my parents though for trying and doing the best in their control for what I ate. When you're a kid who wants sweets, you will eventually find a way to smuggle them in (I hid them under my messy bed.)
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

My gf came home with a two liter of mtn dew the other day.....as she was unpacking the groceries i walked in saw it and immediately poured it down the sink saying "We are not going to poison our kids anymore!"

Completely cutting out the stuff people usually munch on doesn't work for everyone.
    Someday she's gonna go to a friend's house, they might go to KFC.

Making anything forbidden in my life, is a recipe for failure.

Having soda once in a while or going out once in a while does not make you fat.
    Going out everyday and not moving, is what results in being obscenely overweight (I was 370, so yes, that's obscene)
    My mother made food forbidden, and you know what I spent most of my first job's money on?
    Sneaking restaurant food into the house.
  • jesswilks
    Options

Wow to both....:huh:

I agree. The first two are really..."gung-ho" with their beliefs on bad food.

There's nothing wrong with trying it, or having it. It's when it's the only thing you eat that it's the worst thing you could do. It's like with meal portions -- just because grilling your own chicken is good for you, doesn't mean that you can eat 3 lbs of it, and all your mashed potatoes and green beans. Just teach your kids to use moderation, don't ban them from it. Then it's like drugs or something else you don't want your kids having. You keep it from them? They want it more.

So in your analogy I should let my kids do drugs every now and then so they dont crave it?

Why would I want to give my kids junk food and soda, when there are 1000000 other things that are just as good flavor wise that are not junk- We have loads of fruit, veggies, lowcal granola bars, healthy cheeses, that are even better than junk.

We are under the impression that we NEED the junk food from time to time, why is that? My kids want for nothing in life. They have parents who love them and spend any and all free time we have with them.....

My goal is my kids will NEVER ever need this site! To never get diabetes like their father did and worked his *kitten* off to get rid of all signs of it.

I want them to be healthy as possible and junk food and crap is not on the menu......

so you think that forcing your children to ONLY eat healthy now is gonna keep them off this site? you have no idea what they will do once they no longer live in your home....good luck with that...and do you really know what they eat at school or at friends homes? I doubt it....

I was not allowed junk at home so when i moved out that is all i ate wish i didn't ended up being close to 250 with in 2 years on my own So i think moderation is the key with my kids
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    This was an interesting post that became INSANELY interesting. I must be the only one in this string that LOVED KFC. I loved every fatty salty bad bite I ate. Unfortunately my love of exercise feel away and my appetite grew. There were other factors, but between 40 and 45, I went from 172 up to 250. On July 1st of this month, I was 250, around August 1st I joined this site at 242, today I was 211.

I haven't given up all 'bad' food, but I got back in the exercise routine and started eating in moderation. I think making my diet or my children so devoid of the less healthy items doesn't always teach them a healthy lifestyle as much as it limits their options and sense of choice. Maybe they keep these lifestyle choices, maybe they rebel and never eat anywhere but drive-thrus. As parents, we make the best decisions we can, for me, I hope I teach by giving good examples and sometimes by them seeing I made mistakes I could learn from and they don't have to repeat for themselves, but sometimes they will.

I do think comparing taking your kids to experience KFC to allowing them to experience drugs is an extreme reaction that will turn people off. There are certain taboos and break-down of social norms that drugs represent that fast food doesn't. It like the person that can't stop comparing politicians and politics they disagree with to Hitler and Nazis. You become somewhere between offensive to easy to dismiss. To the person that stated this post, please tell me how your daughter enjoyed or didn't enjoy KFC. This post took a weird twist and I thought it started as a cute experience/antidote that should return to that.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Completely cutting out the stuff people usually munch on doesn't work for everyone.
    Someday she's gonna go to a friend's house, they might go to KFC.

Making anything forbidden in my life, is a recipe for failure.

Having soda once in a while or going out once in a while does not make you fat.
    Going out everyday and not moving, is what results in being obscenely overweight (I was 370, so yes, that's obscene)
    My mother made food forbidden, and you know what I spent most of my first job's money on?
    Sneaking restaurant food into the house.
    [/quote]

^ this :) As soon as I went away to college, I ate burgers with cheese and fries with ketchup and mayo almost EVERY day. Gained 15 lbs within 2 months. My mom was not heavy handed, but I'll be darned if we ate that way in our house ;-) and why yes, it was because I didn't go out everyday and move that hurt me more. I drink a pop now and then, and I eat pizza now and then too. It has not hurt my weight loss one bit. Like everyone says, MODERATION is the key, not DEPRIVATION.

Proud of you for your achievements TinGirl314!! Enjoy your recipe for success :) Keep up the great work!
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Forget how bad the food is for you, thats a given..But how about the trouble they got into for cruelty to thier chickens. I wont eat there for that reason
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To the person that stated this post, please tell me how your daughter enjoyed or didn't enjoy KFC. This post took a weird twist and I thought it started as a cute experience/antidote that should return to that.

Yes, how was it?? I don't think I ate much KFC when I was younger, I was a fan of White Castle and Whoppers ;-) I'm vegetarian now, but hearing the stories of fried chicken sometimes makes me crave some, hehe! (obviously protein lacking, eh??)
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting post that became INSANELY interesting. I must be the only one in this string that LOVED KFC. I loved every fatty salty bad bite I ate. Unfortunately my love of exercise feel away and my appetite grew. There were other factors, but between 40 and 45, I went from 172 up to 250. On July 1st of this month, I was 250, around August 1st I joined this site at 242, today I was 211.

I haven't given up all 'bad' food, but I got back in the exercise routine and started eating in moderation. I think making my diet or my children so devoid of the less healthy items doesn't always teach them a healthy lifestyle as much as it limits their options and sense of choice. Maybe they keep these lifestyle choices, maybe they rebel and never eat anywhere but drive-thrus. As parents, we make the best decisions we can, for me, I hope I teach by giving good examples and sometimes by them seeing I made mistakes I could learn from and they don't have to repeat for themselves, but sometimes they will.

I do think comparing taking your kids to experience KFC to allowing them to experience drugs is an extreme reaction that will turn people off. There are certain taboos and break-down of social norms that drugs represent that fast food doesn't. It like the person that can't stop comparing politicians and politics they disagree with to Hitler and Nazis. You become somewhere between offensive to easy to dismiss. To the person that stated this post, please tell me how your daughter enjoyed or didn't enjoy KFC. This post took a weird twist and I thought it started as a cute experience/antidote that should return to that.

To defend my analogy with drugs and fast food, in result, they do turn out in the "same" way. I wasn't being offensive, or even trying to be, only saying that it has the same general effect...which a lot of posters have made clear in sharing their personal stories in how their parents ruled out foods, and it's what they became obsessed with. It is an addiction, which is where my analogy came into play. Sadly, in my opinion, it is comparable. Food is just as addictive as drugs, depending on the person. Drugs are much more worse than junk food, don't get me wrong, but I do see similarities and if you don't moderate and don't exercise, it's just as dangerous in my eyes.

But yes, I have to agree. I have also been wondering about this little girl's run in with KFC. :smile:
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    Options
    I think the OP mentioned that they didn't go today but maybe tomorrow....
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    We used to eat KFC on a regular basis, it was one of my dad's favorite places when I was a kid. We bought some the other night, after not eating it for about 7-8 months and it made me sick to my stomach. I LOVE their cole slaw though.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, popcorn chicken!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    We used to eat KFC on a regular basis, it was one of my dad's favorite places when I was a kid. We bought some the other night, after not eating it for about 7-8 months and it made me sick to my stomach. I LOVE their cole slaw though.

THIS. I'm such a food snob now.
    Wanna go to Mcdonalds? Ew.
    Burger King? Aren't they the same thing?
    Arby's? I'll have a heart attack (The sodium is insane to me personally)
    KFC? No.
    Taco bell/Subway? I can't make that work. Friends: Grumblegrumble. Hahaha!

But put a biscuit from...anywhere (I just love biscuits) and you will blink and a crumb will be left behind.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I didn't have KFC until I was 13. I thought it was revolting. And this is before I found out how they treat the chickens.... horrible.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    Options

THIS. I'm such a food snob now.
    Wanna go to Mcdonalds? Ew.
    Burger King? Aren't they the same thing?
    Arby's? I'll have a heart attack (The sodium is insane to me personally)
    KFC? No.
    Taco bell/Subway? I can't make that work. Friends: Grumblegrumble. Hahaha!

But put a biscuit from...anywhere (I just love biscuits) and you will blink and a crumb will be left behind.

:smile: I mostly agree...except for the Subway. I LOVE Subway.