college student here! I need help cooking!

Options
strive2behealthy
strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
So, instead of buying "just chicken" from Trader Joes, (which, by the way.. is packed with sodium), I have been buying bare chicken breasts and weighing them with a food scale. But I don't put any sauce, I just put them right on the rack and into the oven.. and it's dry. Lol. I want some good healthy recipes for chicken breasts!

Also, any kind of sauces for brocolli too?

Replies

• LeeLee0415
    Options
    I usually use Lawry's hawaiian marinade on chicken breast and pan fry it but no oil, maybe a spray of pam. Its delicious and only 20 calories per tablespoon. And for broccoli I would recommend either soy sauce or gravy, but all I use is butter and sometimes a dash of salt. Lawry's have other marinades as well.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I poach chicken breasts, it keeps them beautifully moist.
    Bring a pot of water to boil with enough water to cover the chicken.
    Once boiled, put the chicken in with any mixed herbs and some bay leaves and let simmer for 10 mins.
    Turn off the gas and leave to sit in the water for 15-20 minutes.
    Easy!!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I put chicken breasts in a frying pan, with a little bit of jam or jelly for sweetness, and a dash of soy sauce to add salt. Cover them with a tight lid, and simmer for about 30 minutes, turning once halfway through. the cover and liquid keep the chicken nice and moist
  • marie_25m
    marie_25m Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can put salt pepper and dry basil leaves on it and cook it on a pan with a little bit of water and 1 tsp of olive oil...msybe 2 tsp of white wine...it wont be dry. or cook it in the oven but try to cover it with aluminum foil...it will be soft and it will take less time to cook. you can add the lemon pepper seasoning too.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Another methd to keep them juicy is to sear them. In a pan or on the grill cook one side so jsut the outer layer is cooked and flip it and do it on the other side. It locks the juices inside while the inner part of the breast is cooking.

Sauces
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/category/sauces-and-gravy/

http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6002255
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My go to: I usually spray pan with olive oil spray, cut up the chicken, and put it in the pan with pepper, garlic powder, a little bit of dill and some rosemary. Then i add some mushrooms and just let it all cook. The mushrooms will keep it from getting dry. It is really tasty and low cal. You can season pretty heavy too, if you want more flavor.

For broccoli and other green veggies, this is weird but I will boil them, and then put in one of those creamy baby bell swiss cheese wedges (50 cals and also good on crackers) in there mixed around, and sprinkled with dill weed. It was inspired by this creamy pasta i had once. I usually do that with asparagus though.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Spray pan and cook in skillet. Cook ahead all of them and then you can use them throughout the week in fajitas and stuff. I like all of mine seasoned with Cayenne pepper, but you can use plain and season for different dishes. All time favorite though is to put them (already cooked) in with brocolli slaw and splash of soy sauce to make a stir fry :)
    Also really good if don't pre-season is to chop up and put on bagel (or toast) with granny smith apple. I hear adding honey is good too.
    I think the big problem is that you are putting them in oven. As an animal science major we learn a lot about the cooking of the meat and searing if the best to seal in the juices. Ovens cook from inside out so there is no seal for the juice. When you drop in hot pan though it creates seal :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My go to: I usually spray pan with olive oil spray, cut up the chicken, and put it in the pan with pepper, garlic powder, a little bit of dill and some rosemary. Then i add some mushrooms and just let it all cook. The mushrooms will keep it from getting dry. It is really tasty and low cal. You can season pretty heavy too, if you want more flavor.

For broccoli and other green veggies, this is weird but I will boil them, and then put in one of those creamy baby bell swiss cheese wedges (50 cals and also good on crackers) in there mixed around, and sprinkled with dill weed. It was inspired by this creamy pasta i had once. I usually do that with asparagus though.

Sometimes I brown ground chicken or turkey with pepper strips and make some rice. When there done and still hot I throw wedge or two of the queso laughing cows in and mix it up so it melts. Really yummy.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You should stir fry the chicken w/ some frozen veggies from costco. Use ms.dash,ground pepper, and other spices. And then choose a sauce such as teryaki. It tastes amazing
  • technogal63
    Options
    Buy chicken thighs/legs/breasts (whatever is on sale) and cook in crockpot with enough salsa to cover chicken, for 4-6hrs on low. Mango salsa is especially good -shred and serve over rice or in burritos/tacos. Inexpensive and yummy - makes enough for several meals.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I cook chicken in the slow cooker with some veggies and sauce. It's delicious and there are no worries about overcooking.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Possibilities are endless. Buy a marinade and grill them. Boil them. Make breaded chicken (or chicken nuggets) using panko or bread crumbs and pan fry with a little EVOO. You could put them in a pan with a can of cream of chicken/celery/mushroom and just let them cook.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    The trick to cooking isn't so much as what you put on it, but the time/temp.

I cut chicken breasts in as even as possible strips at an angle (3 per breast)

I bake them, uncovered, 375 for about 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness. sometimes more.
    **This is with just a basic seasoning, sometimes a marinade.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They are easy to over cook, if at all possible invest in a meat thermometer . They are wonderful and really take the guess work out of cooking meat/poultry. I have had this one for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-1470-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSC5/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1350276121&sr=1-3
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Foil packets......seriously. Especially just for cooking for yourself, they are awesome.

As for sauces.....I'm not big on sauces, personally. If you go to the seasonings aisle in your grocery store, they should have some McCormick packets. The one I like is for Rosemary Chicken and potatoes. So good.
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    another college student..bump! :)
  • mrook2009
    mrook2009 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • strive2behealthy
    strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump lol
  • abeni117
    Options
    Hello-
    Saw your post, here are some great tips.
    1) buy Simple Seed Basmati Brown rice, 140 cal per 1/4 cup, you can make that... .grill your chicken breast (after letting it marinate over night with lime) grill in pan with red peppers and onions ! ...once chicken and veggies threw cooking- add to rice with 3 table spoons of soy sauce...BAM delicious home made grilled chicken brown rice stir fry :)
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast marinade: 1/4 c. lemon juice, 1 clove minced garlic, dash red pepper flake, 1/2 tsp dried italian herbs. salt and pepper. Marinate for 2 hours. Cook in skillet or grill pan with a little olive oil. Cook on one side and then on the other until jiuces run clear when pierced with a knife.

Broccoli: In saucepan with lid steam broccoli in 1/4 cup water, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 clove garlic sliced pinch red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Steam about 3-5 minutes.