1200 calories?

Options
How many calories a day do you guys eat? MFP recommends that I eat 1200 a day to lose weight. But many other sites recommend that I eat more. (I'm 5' 4" and female) When I exercise I eat half of my calories burned MFP says that I burn, but try not to eat more because frankly, I don't belive I burn that many calories with the activities I do. I have a family history of slow metabolisms. My mother had her BMR taken (She's 5' 2") and it was only 800 calories a day. This was done in a lab. The people giving the test were absolutely shocked, and said they couldn't recommend that she eat that few of calories each day, (and thankfully I'm pretty sure she eats more.) However, that being said, I'm exteremly leery of too many calories because I know I also have a slow metabolism, and possibley even a slower one than she did at my age. I've had to work exteremly hard at even maintainung my higher than normal weight, rather than just gaining more weight. I'd like to know what you guys think.

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    1200 without eating my exercise calories has worked for me, but others here have had success with more. Bottom line is do what works for you because you'll get as many opinions as you get responses.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I think you should consult with a nutritionist, if possible.

(I am 5'2" 125 lbs and maintaining my weight at 2,100-2,400 calories per day)
  • DianaFaith1
    DianaFaith1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Suggest getting your blood work done. Have them run all of the usual tests including a thyroid and A1c glucose test.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    1200 a day is working for me currently. You may need to increase it at some point, but trying 1200 cals a day for a while won't hurt you. You can also try exercising more to increase what you can eat. I check my fitness calories burned against the calculator at livestrong.com. I hope this helps.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4. I eat about 2000 cals a day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1200 plus eating exercise calories and I lost weight. I tried 1200 without exercise calories and I lost weight. I upped it to 1300 plus eating my exercise calories but couldn't give you a real result yet. I'm assuming I'll lose weight...
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2"... My base is set at 1200. I have a Fitbit that tracks my daily activities which are generally about 200-300 a day... so, that sets me to about 1450 per day... If I work out on any given day, I add that in separate... I try to eat close to my net which is my roughly 1450 PLUS my workout calories. I have been ACTIVE here since mid August (so about 10 weeks) and I am down 27 lbs. I will stick with what I am doing! :)))
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2"... My base is set at 1200. I have a Fitbit that tracks my daily activities which are generally about 200-300 a day... so, that sets me to about 1450 per day... If I work out on any given day, I add that in separate... I try to eat close to my net which is my roughly 1450 PLUS my workout calories. I have been ACTIVE here since mid August (so about 10 weeks) and I am down 27 lbs. I will stick with what I am doing! :)))

great job on wt loss!!! wahoooo
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm glad I am not alone in the 1200 a day club. It seems like so many people say 1200 isn't that way to go. One day I'd love to be able to have a metabolism fast enough to eat more like 2000 calories and maintain my goal weight (Ultimate goal life goal!) It's why I look foreward to exercise and weight lifting! BTW, my mother was tested for thyroidism and all tests came back negative.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories a day and have been losing weight. I could possibly eat more. I don't think i have a particularly low metabolism for my age. I just found that eating healthy food fills me up at 1200 calories.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2ish 118lbs and eat between 1700 and 2100 cal a day. Down 45lbs and still losing.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Screw MFP's numbers. Figure out your TDEE, calculate your burns with an HRM, and record those calories but don't eat them back. Done.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Im 52, Im 5'1 and Ive been eating 1200 calories for 8 months and I've lost 41 pounds...i dont feel hungry and I pretty much eat what I want. I do exercise about 4 times a week but I dont eat back my exercise calories unless its a special occasion. Really I think its about what works for you. Try it and adjust as needed.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    what i do at 1200 calories: punch random people in the face and otherwise be generally moody.

what i do at TDEE: be awesome.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm glad I am not alone in the 1200 a day club. It seems like so many people say 1200 isn't that way to go. One day I'd love to be able to have a metabolism fast enough to eat more like 2000 calories and maintain my goal weight (Ultimate goal life goal!) It's why I look foreward to exercise and weight lifting! BTW, my mother was tested for thyroidism and all tests came back negative.

All women with an estimated BMR calc of 1760 or lower who selected Sedentary activity level (and majority do whether it applies or not, because of the thought of desiring to loose quicker) and loss goal of 2 lb weekly (and majority do despite recommendation to select 1 lb, because they want to lose it quickly) will receive a daily goal of 1200.

That is considered the bare bottom safe minimum eating level. Not the best, just the minimum for safety reasons.
    Same way minimum building codes is for safety, not for aesthetics, longevity, or performance. Most if having a choice want better than just safety, and one some of the others.

People have actually lowered their metabolism well outside the statistical avg by eating too little. Your stomach shrinks, and you aren't hungry anymore eating so little.
    Many folks in parts of the world do it by no choice, many see the health benefits and purposely do it.
    Sadly it's hard to lose weight that fast with slower metabolism.

Usually outside the statistical avg for metabolism is either hormone problems, really bad lack of muscle which extreme deficits will indeed rob, and just under eating for your level of activity.
  • Aviva92
    Options

All women with an estimated BMR calc of 1760 or lower who selected Sedentary activity level (and majority do whether it applies or not, because of the thought of desiring to loose quicker) and loss goal of 2 lb weekly (and majority do despite recommendation to select 1 lb, because they want to lose it quickly) will receive a daily goal of 1200.

That is considered the bare bottom safe minimum eating level. Not the best, just the minimum for safety reasons.
    Same way minimum building codes is for safety, not for aesthetics, longevity, or performance. Most if having a choice want better than just safety, and one some of the others.

People have actually lowered their metabolism well outside the statistical avg by eating too little. Your stomach shrinks, and you aren't hungry anymore eating so little.
    Many folks in parts of the world do it by no choice, many see the health benefits and purposely do it.

Usually outside the statistical avg for metabolism is either hormone problems, really bad lack of muscle which extreme deficits will indeed rob, and just under eating for your level of activity.

MFP said I'm going to lose 0.75 pounds a week on a 1200 calorie diet, NOT 2 pounds a week. I picked sedentary lifestyle because I work a desk job and do have a sedentary lifestyle. I supsect that based on the definition given of sedentary lifestyle which excludes exercise outside of that lifestyle, the majorty of women do qualify.
  • iluvoptics
    Options
    I've been Primal/Paleo for a couple months now. (no grains, legumes, processed food. Eat like our ancestors before they planted grains.) And without even trying or being hungry, I average about 1200-1400. Main foods I eat are meats, veggies, fruit, nuts, high fat dairy, coconut products, with nightly treat of dark choc. square or almond butter on apples. My macros are about 30% protein, 15% carbs, and 55% fat. Turned my body into a fat-burner instead of a carb-burner. More in tune with how our bodies were designed to work. If I had a pretty intense workout, then I eat a little more fruit and a little more calories that day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

MFP said I'm going to lose 0.75 pounds a week on a 1200 calorie diet, NOT 2 pounds a week. I picked sedentary lifestyle because I work a desk job and do have a sedentary lifestyle. I supsect that based on the definition given of sedentary lifestyle which excludes exercise outside of that lifestyle, the majorty of women do qualify.

You did indeed find the problem with the difference between selecting 2lb weekly goal, and what 1200 actually allows mathwise. Only those with BMR at 1760 would actually get that full 1000 daily deficit, everyone else would be short by some amount.

Question is, are you steadily losing 0.75 weekly? Then the math was right, and your daily maintenance really was correct.

If you search for posts about BodyMediaFit and FitBit, and read initial use reactions, you'll find the vast majority are getting levels above Lightly Active, and that is outside formal exercise, just their normal days with indeed desk jobs.

Actually, it's easier to just find the Group for both and read through those initial use posts, everyone is surprised what they burn.
  • Aviva92
    Options

You did indeed find the problem with the difference between selecting 2lb weekly goal, and what 1200 actually allows mathwise. Only those with BMR at 1760 would actually get that full 1000 daily deficit, everyone else would be short by some amount.

Question is, are you steadily losing 0.75 weekly? Then the math was right, and your daily maintenance really was correct.

If you search for posts about BodyMediaFit and FitBit, and read initial use reactions, you'll find the vast majority are getting levels above Lightly Active, and that is outside formal exercise, just their normal days with indeed desk jobs.

Actually, it's easier to just find the Group for both and read through those initial use posts, everyone is surprised what they burn.

It depends on the week. I track it on Wednesdays. I've lost between .4 and 1 pounds a week with this approach. I don't have a lot to lose, but it seems to be working for me.
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that calories are not just any ol' calories....you still need to eat 'good' calories. If you eat 1200 calories of crap food, I find it hard to believe that you'll make much progress!