Pregnancy Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    from research during my pregnancy, about 300 extra calories per day is needed while pregnant/breastfeeding. However, it is more important that you get nutrition. So i would focus on getting a variety of foods that have excellent nutritional value versus just calories. Make it a time to try some new stuff :) and hydrate well.

Congrats!! :)
  • emkohler77
    emkohler77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to have a BMI restriction on me for the third trimester, it's really amazing how fast the baby grows at that point. Third trimester can be hard, and you never know if complications might arise. Besides, I really think that hospitals are the best places to give birth. I had such a great experience, I highly recommend it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys :)

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and my BMI is ~32 (169cm, 94kg). I've been told by the Birth Centre that I desperately want to use that I won't be accepted unless I'm under BMI 35 as at week 37. This means that I can't put on more than around 5kg.
    Would you say that this is easy or hard?
    btw I know that my basal metabolic rate is good (I have 119% of the ideal active tissue mass) and I haven't had any morning sickness. I've put on around 6kg so far and am feeling really quite healthy :)

Unfortunately, despite eating well throughout my pregnancy, I've gained quite a bit (still "normal" but on the high side of it). A lot of my pregnancy gain was in the first trimester from bloating and water retention that puffed me up.

Focus on eating well, staying active, getting enough calcium and iron in, and let your weight do what it's going to do. You DO NOT want to be at a large calorie deficit during pregnancy. Your baby needs regular nutrient-rich meals to develop properly. That is far more important than whether or not you gain more than someone says you should as long as you are eating reasonably well.

As for the birthing center, I absolutely love mine and can't wait to give birth there. If you find a good one staffed by top-quality midwives, nurses, and an OB, they are perfectly safe and can offer a wonderful experience. I do, however, suggest that you do your homework on your options and make whatever decision you feel is best for you and your baby. As far as the weight gain goes, if you gain more than 5kg, and they won't take you, then that's fine. You can still give birth safely at a hospital. Focus less on the weight gain and more on keeping yourself as healthy and active as possible, and let the rest go as it's going to go from there.

For what it's worth, I've been diligently tracking my calories here on MFP, and it's been a wonderful tool for managing my pregnancy gains. My midwife and my OB also find it really helpful to be able to see exactly what I'm eating.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr obviously but mine told me to set my calories at maintence and stick to that. You don't need to eat extra food except maybe 200-300 more calories in the third trimester :)
    Thanks for the misinformation, but you actually need those extra calories much earlier than the third trimester.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys :)

For the person who assumed I wouldn't have access to a hospital - that's not the case for this particular birthing centre which is the best in my state and immediately adjacent to the best childbirth hospital. They are connected by a tunnel and if anything goes wrong (which it shouldn't) it is easy to get access to any technology that would help.

Just to confirm what I've learnt:
    Many people's basal metabolic rate goes up during pregnancy. Typically, you need an extra 300 calories throughout. This rough guide isn't enough though, you also need double the amount of protein with nutrient rich foods. My personal experience is that I need to eat regularly and with protein and some small amount of fat to feel full.
    I have serious concerns for those heavy ladies who are told to lose weight because I suspect that they will cut out natural sources of Vitamin E which is essential for muscle health and therefore a good labour and a healthy child who can hold their head up.
    Similarly, magnesium is an important one - if you have/had preeclampsia you probably should look this one up.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    hi everyone, i am 12 weeks pregnant. my due date was june 2nd until my ultrasound proven otherwise, now it is may 30th. i am using mfp to help me stay within a certain calorie range mainly then anything else. i also use this site freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
    it helps me balance it out since i and well all of us workout even pregnant. honestly i agree with alot of expecting moms talk to your doctor as well. if anyone wants to add me feel free! im love talking and everything with pregnant moms like myself.