Cannot get under 162!!

Options
I have been stuck here for months! I am starting to think that I should not eat my excersise calories back! I get 1300 cals a day and usually gain 400 through working out. I eat all of those! Should I not?? I run 3x a week and do a boot camp class 2x a week. I do struggle on the weekends and go over my calories at times! But you would think I would still lose something! Also does anyone want to be "friends."

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've been kind of stuck for a month. I'm cutting down on bread and sugar this week to see how it goes.
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I was stuck on a plateau for 5 years. I am finally losing again but it took a change in my exercise habits (I increased my workouts (from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours 5 days a week) and I try not to eat back my calories everyday. It is tough for me as well especially on the weekends. You will get there.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Do you weight train at all? That would be something you havent tried....its all about mixing it up...maybe bring in that..and chill on the cardio?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    So....I calculated the BMR for a 35YO Female at 162 lbs, (guessed at 5'6") and got 1505. Set your goals here with this in mind:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

So, assuming that 1505 is pretty doggone close, I'd guess, with 15-25 lbs to lose you will be given a lot more than 1300 cals.

You can't randomly pick and choose how much weight you want to lose per week, your body has different ideas; especially if those 15-25 pounds are some random number you've decided will make you happy....you have to be realistic. You may be wanting something that was possible in high school but now is not going to be as easy, based on age and other factors in your life.

BMR is the amount you would be given in a hospital if you were going to be in bed all day. So, you need to eat more.

Reset your calories with the above in mind. You should be given more than 1300. You can't make such an aggressive calorie deficit if you have so little to lose.

Yes, eat the Exercise cals. That is the way this site is set up to be used. You need to eat more...probably several hundred more calories. You are underfeeding, no wonder you're stuck.

• JohnMessmer
    Options
    Are you measuring as well? You could be getting lean without actually losing pounds. Also, make sure you have your exercise level set accurately, if you have it set to active then you should not be adding your exercise; which means you should not have any calories to eat back. You should only log exercise that is not part of your "normal" routine.
  • 67butterfly
    67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about being stuck. The first month i started- 11lbs right off the bat. Got down to 159. That's my lowest so far, but now i am always bouncing from 162-166. It all started when i lost that 11 pounds and began to feel good about myself, and then i slowly slip back into my old ways. It sounds as though you are doing everything right. I read somewhere that it usually comes down to a food thing. Have you been watching what you eat? I know that if i track 100% every day, i usually have a good week. For me that means absolutely no pickin, lickin, or spoon diving, and anything that goes into my mouth i write it down and keep a close eye on my calories. Best of luck to you, and i hope you can figure it out! You can friend me if you like. I have some great motivating friends! :flowerforyou:
  • 67butterfly
    67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So....I calculated the BMR for a 35YO Female at 162 lbs, (guessed at 5'6") and got 1505. Set your goals here with this in mind:

So, assuming that 1505 is pretty doggone close, I'd guess, with 15-25 lbs to lose you will be given a lot more than 1300 cals.

You can't randomly pick and choose how much weight you want to lose per week, your body has different ideas; especially if those 15-25 pounds are some random number you've decided will make you happy....you have to be realistic. You may be wanting something that was possible in high school but now is not going to be as easy, based on age and other factors in your life.

BMR is the amount you would be given in a hospital if you were going to be in bed all day. So, you need to eat more.

Reset your calories with the above in mind. You should be given more than 1300. You can't make such an aggressive calorie deficit if you have so little to lose.

Yes, eat the Exercise cals. That is the way this site is set up to be used. You need to eat more...probably several hundred more calories. You are underfeeding, no wonder you're stuck.

Hmmm...I think i may need to take another look at the information i input into MFP. I only have 1200 calories.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    are you eatting enough? I`m 163 and 5foot 5inches and set at 1590 cals before exercise and I`m still loosing if I eat less I tend to get stuck my body really dosen`t like less than the 1590 net
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, 5'7", 160 lbs and I lose eating net 1600... so 1600 plus all my exercise calories, which puts me at about 1800-2100/day on average. Some days I'll burn 1000 and eat them all back and I'm still losing slowly but steadily. You must be able to eat more than 1300.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    eat MORE :) nomnom
  • teagandeclan
    Options
    I am 5'2, 162 pds. According to MFP ibshould have 1200 cals. I aim for 400 cals when I workout giving me 1600 a day. Should I eat more? I am confused now!! Lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, 162 pds. According to MFP ibshould have 1200 cals. I aim for 400 cals when I workout giving me 1600 a day. Should I eat more? I am confused now!! Lol

With 5'2", female, 35 YO, 162, I get 1487 for your BMR. Assuming you are doing all that exercise, set your Activity Level to Active.

"Lose 1/2 pound per week". Stick with the numbers for a month. Eat your exercise calories. It sounds like you've done all that.

Stop having "weekend over" days. Try to stay consistent for the entire week. Since you have such a little deficit (looks like 200 calories) you can't afford cheat days. One cheat day could be erasing all the week's deficit. Do you follow? You have a 200 calorie allowed deficit for each day, to lose weight. On the weekendif you over eat by only 500 calories each day, that effectively erases the deficit for the five previous days. That's just a dessert or a couple donuts or an extra piece of pizza. It doesn't take much.

The only other think I can think is measure and weigh your food and drinks and enter them accurately. Use a digital scale. You don't have much to lose, so you have a very slim margin of error here. Patience and accuracy are super important at this point. Make one change at a time, and stick with it long enough to see if it is working.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do you have a digital food scale?
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

Maybe you're eating too much. Play around with your calories. I'm also 5'2 and have a small frame (like itty, I wear a size 4 ring) and for me to actively loose, I eat between 1200-1400 calories/day, and do not eat exercise calories back. My calories to maintain per mfp are 1750 but it's more like 1600 for me. The reccomended calories aren't one size fits all, you just have to play around a little. I was stuck at 144 FOREVER because for whatever reason, I decided to up my cals to 1500. I kicked them back a little bit and am now down to 128.5 and past my goal. Aim a little lower and see what happens. :)
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Eat more honey :) Friend me if you want. Ask me anything. Look at the group "Eat More To Weigh Less." See if it's for you!
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It happened to je when o hit 172. I could not get past it for almost three months. I tried everything I could think of from changing my calorie intake to the times I worked out to the intensity of the workouts and nothing. One week the scale moved and soon I found myself at goal. Give your body time ... It will happen!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Spot. On.

Also, here is a great resource to read more about BMR and TDEE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    My trainer said if you are not losing weight, you are eating too much. Of course this is in regards to sustained plateaus. And you need to be over the 1200 calorie per day threshold to be safe.

I know there are lots of people who will say eat more, and others that don't eat their exercise calories. My experience is that most folks underestimate what they eat, and over estimate what they burn. What I did was choose the caloric intake for the weight I want to be, and that is working. When I hit my goal, I won't have to change anything.

Diet is mostly what you eat, and exercise can help - but it's the food. Get a food scale, and try using an HRM for the exercise if you are not.
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck here for months! I am starting to think that I should not eat my excersise calories back! I get 1300 cals a day and usually gain 400 through working out. I eat all of those! Should I not?? I run 3x a week and do a boot camp class 2x a week. I do struggle on the weekends and go over my calories at times! But you would think I would still lose something! Also does anyone want to be "friends."
    I have the exact issue at 146 lb! I cant budge it for months. Maybe I go down 3 lb but then it comes right back. I eat about 1300 - 1400 calories and kickbox and do strength traiing 4-5 days per week. Please feel free to add me as a friend.