Constipation caused by ephedrine?

Options
2»

Replies

• hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor. This is not the place to find the answer you seek.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    see a doctor

/thread
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Speaking from a cardiac nurses point of view, Ephedrine is not known to cause constipation. However, it does cause gastrointerstinal side effects such as nausea and vomiting. Please be aware that ephedrine speeds up your heart and can cause heart palpitations, high blood pressure, and a severely increased pulse. Taking ephedrine and ephedra products over the counter can be a hazard to your health, hence, why they are taking it out of most products besides diet pills. Not said to hurt your feelings, just be careful.

When I read this I was kinda surprised. I am glad you responded as a medical professional. Wasn't this banned like a decade ago for the reasons you mentioned above.. I remember taking Metabolife right before it was banned. A young girl died from taking too man and a baseball player. I stopped taking it immediately and then they pulled it off the shelf. Or so I thought. But that was a long time ago...memory is the first thing to go.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has been on ephedrine(or perhaps more specifically, an EC stack) and found it caused digestive problems. If so, what did you do about them? I'm adding fiber to my diet like mad here. Not sure how long it would take for that to help. Anyone have any good remedies?

Been staring at your post for a few minutes, petty much speechless.

1. You think it's causing constipation, you don't know what you're doing.
    2. You're a young girl, you don't know what you're doing.
    3. Why are you taking it?(quicker weight loss), you don't know what you're doing.

People who do things without knowing what they're doing sometimes end up in trouble.

simple *kitten*.

Simple words for simple minds. Why don't you just recommend crystal meth?

Yes, you are a "simple *kitten*" for trying to save this young girl from hurting herself. :)
  • amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another RN's opinion.... fully agree with the first nurse's opinion. Secondly, EC is ephedrine and caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic, so if you're not drinking enough water you will become constipated. Please see a doctor about your concerns before you take any self-prescribed medications.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with taking it, just remember to cycle it. take at least a week off or so off every two weeks. take some psyllium husks and you should be a little more regular. most likely is related to your diet though!

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has documented more than 800 reports of illnesses and injuries to people who used products with ephedrine. The research showed cases of insomnia, vertigo, cardiac arrest, seizures, pounding heart, palpitations, stroke, intracerebral hemorrhage"

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/pre-2007/files/health/ephedrine/index.html

Yup, nothing wrong with taking it........:huh:
    I accidentally took this in an over the counter diet pill. I didn't realize I was taking Ephedra, though. Stupid to not read a label, Yes! However I ate 2 bites and was full. If that how ephedra is affecting you, you need to eat more produce. The recommended amount of dietary fiber is 35 gms per day. Beans, nuts, any fresh fruits and veggies will help. Better from real food than pills.

I did stop taking my diet pills when I realized that ephedra was the active ingredient. It was all over the news (in the 1990's) that a 22 year old basketball star collapsed and died from taking it. I believe it caused him a heart attack. That was the day I stopped. If you are not under a doctor's care, you may not realize you may be potentially harming yourself. Even if you are under a doctor's care ALL drugs have risks. Watching the TV commercials for drugs is evidence of that. Better safe than sorry.
  • rootbag
    rootbag Posts: 11
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with taking it, just remember to cycle it. take at least a week off or so off every two weeks. take some psyllium husks and you should be a little more regular. most likely is related to your diet though!

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has documented more than 800 reports of illnesses and injuries to people who used products with ephedrine. The research showed cases of insomnia, vertigo, cardiac arrest, seizures, pounding heart, palpitations, stroke, intracerebral hemorrhage"

I wonder how many of those who reported troubles were old, unhealthy or obese, misinformed, or otherwise less able to handle a stimulant. paracetamol causes a ridiculously large number of issues each year - would you pass on advice to not use it if asked, or perhaps advocate safe usage? hint, one is helpful, the other is pure ignorance.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Why are you taking ephedrine? It's not legal here in the UK because of the dangerous side affects (death being one). Congestive relief medicines here have pseudo-ephedrine in them but it's very regulated and not recommended for anybody with asthma.

I think you're crazy to self-medicate with such a dangerous drug. Just because you can buy it without it being prescribed doesn't mean that you should. I took ephedrine for about a year when I was younger, I didn't have the health problems you do. It was still a stupid thing to do.

See a doctor. A real one, one with degrees, board certification and the requisite experience. That would be my advice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has been on ephedrine(or perhaps more specifically, an EC stack) and found it caused digestive problems. If so, what did you do about them? I'm adding fiber to my diet like mad here. Not sure how long it would take for that to help. Anyone have any good remedies?

Yes, it can cause dehydration, which in turn, can lead to constipation. Add extra water and check your fiber intake. I find that when I take any bronchial dilator, I have to increase my water intake.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Why are you taking ephedrine? It's not legal here in the UK because of the dangerous side affects (death being one). Congestive relief medicines here have pseudo-ephedrine in them but it's very regulated and not recommended for anybody with asthma.

I think you're crazy to self-medicate with such a dangerous drug. Just because you can buy it without it being prescribed doesn't mean that you should. I took ephedrine for about a year when I was younger, I didn't have the health problems you do. It was still a stupid thing to do.

See a doctor. A real one, one with degrees, board certification and the requisite experience. That would be my advice.

Ephedrine is *NOT* a "dangerous drug." :laugh:

I think it's crazy to go to a doctor for cold/sinus medicine! :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Would a doctor prescribe me an inhaler? I don't know if the problem is enough to warrant that(It's never come up before, I guess), but I don't know that for sure.
    I don't know, I assumed the ephedrine you were taking was prescribed by a doctor. Do yourself a favor, and see one. It could have nothing to do with athsma at all.

What state are in you that you would assume that? NY? CA?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Been staring at your post for a few minutes, petty much speechless.

1. You think it's causing constipation, you don't know what you're doing.
    2. You're a young girl, you don't know what you're doing.
    3. Why are you taking it?(quicker weight loss), you don't know what you're doing.

People who do things without knowing what they're doing sometimes end up in trouble.

simple *kitten*.

Simple words for simple minds. Why don't you just recommend crystal meth?

Methamphetamine also cause constipation. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

2000 people died from aspirin last year too. Aspirin is safe, but if you take 13, then it will be your last headache.

Common sense > FDA cartel
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Speaking from a cardiac nurses point of view, Ephedrine is not known to cause constipation. However, it does cause gastrointerstinal side effects such as nausea and vomiting. Please be aware that ephedrine speeds up your heart and can cause heart palpitations, high blood pressure, and a severely increased pulse. Taking ephedrine and ephedra products over the counter can be a hazard to your health, hence, why they are taking it out of most products besides diet pills. Not said to hurt your feelings, just be careful.

When I read this I was kinda surprised. I am glad you responded as a medical professional. Wasn't this banned like a decade ago for the reasons you mentioned above.. I remember taking Metabolife right before it was banned. A young girl died from taking too man and a baseball player. I stopped taking it immediately and then they pulled it off the shelf. Or so I thought. But that was a long time ago...memory is the first thing to go.

You are confusing the herb ephedra with the drug ephedrine. The herb is what they made illegal. The drug is still legal, except in nanny states like NY.