BREAKFAST BEFORE EXERCISE

Options
I exercise at least 4 out of 7 days, I do Jazzercise. My problem is I HATE to eat breakfast, especially before I work out. I have tried cereal, yogurt, toast, fruit. The only thing I want is coffee, it almost nauseates me to eat. Anybody else?

Replies

• ablissabby
    ablissabby Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5 in the morning during the weekday exercise, and I find that dry toast (along with coffee) is the only thing I can eat that doesn't make me feel nauseous... and if I skip it, my workout is terrible :)
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've heard it is said that it best to have some protein so you don't lose muscle. I can't do it either. It makes me nauseuos too even if I wait an hour before exercising... I'm with you. I'm up at 5a & work out 3-5 days a week as well.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    then don't eat before exercising. i usually only have coffee and a piece of fruit and maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter before a morning work out.

if you don't like eating breakfast, then don't eat it. there aren't any conclusive studies that prove that it is beneficial.

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/skip-breakfast/
  • KawaiiJennie
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, it has never been scientifically proven that breakfast is actually the most important meal of the day ( recent research into IF claims skipping actually helps you lose weight, who would of thought it?).

If you really want, or feel you need, energy for the morning workout then try smoothies (or mebbe a smoothie made with part cold coffee, google it, there's a lot of delish recipes along those lines, kind of a healthy, home-made, frappucinno). Anyways, if you really don't want to eat in the morning, don't force yourself, if you're body NEEDS calories it will tell you, yours obviously doesn't.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    No reason to eat anything when ever you don't feel like it. That is part of how we got fat in the first place.

I maintaining now, lot losing, but I still mostly skip breakfast and head to the gym. There is document here called the Vacation Body Blueprint which explains that if you work out in the morning fasted (zero calories, no cream in coffee) that your body produces HGH which gives you many benefits including helping you lose fat. I wrote about my experiment --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/745151-i-got-a-compliment-from-rusty-moore-from-fitness-black-book

I used to think I couldn't do this and felt weak and dizzy. I have friends who do this all the time and I would never do it because I thought it made me feel awful, but as I explained in the experiment I found it was more a mindset. I finally started doing it and I have sort of built up a tolerance for it, and now I actually can not stand to eat before working out. I have learned to enjoy it and I have quite strong workouts including HIIT running afterwards and lifting heavy. I find it pretty amazing actually.

Ever since I lost the 60 lbs at age 50 and kept it off for over a year and am the leanest and fittest I've ever been in my life..Never again will I let anyone tell me what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat. I learned what works for me. I OWN IT. No one will ever pressure me to eat birthday cake at a party or anywhere else, I DECIDE. No one else decides for me. I eat when I want to eat and I don't eat when I don't want to eat.
  • RobertM66
    RobertM66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have one cup of coffee and dry toast. Feel dizzy during my workouts if I dont have something to eat.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If I dont eat I crash and feel sick and jittery. Usually just a protein shake and toast. Once you crash hard its hard to recover from it and the work out sucks and comes to a hault! If you feel ok do what you want. Everyone is different.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    No reason to eat anything when ever you don't feel like it. That is part of how we got fat in the first place.

I maintaining now, lot losing, but I still mostly skip breakfast and head to the gym. There is document here called the Vacation Body Blueprint which explains that if you work out in the morning fasted (zero calories, no cream in coffee) that your body produces HGH which gives you many benefits including helping you lose fat. I wrote about my experiment --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/745151-i-got-a-compliment-from-rusty-moore-from-fitness-black-book

do you really have to plug what you are selling in every thread you stumble upon??
  • luvsbks
    luvsbks Posts: 51
    Options
    I don't work out in the mornings. However I do like Silk unsweetened almond milk with 1 scoop french vanilla whey protein. If you are working out and you don't feel sick or light headed then you probably don't need to eat anything. I do believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, however it may not be for everyone.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options

do you really have to plug what you are selling in every thread you stumble upon??

I was just thinking the same thing.. GEEEEEEZZZZ
  • lexusgirl1
    Options
    I don't eat before my morning exercise BC I'd get cramps, I eat a breakfast after.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always do my first walk of the day before eating breakfast. It works for me.
  • Chrisremi12
    Options
    It is important to eat after though right?? :)
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    All I need is water for hydration; the rest can wait til after I am done with exercising but it sort of depends on who you are and when you ate the night before also.
  • nita405
    Options
    The smell of food in the morning was nauseating to me ,although breakfast is my favorite meal of the day I used to have it around noon when I can tolerate the smell of food. The body needs food for energy the time we are sleep is probably the longest time period we dont feed. I have found for ME its important to try something when I wake to BREAK my body FASTing. A cracker with peanut butter or some hazelnut spread has helped me. Since I started i now can eat a bowl of oatmeal by 8 am & I am down 8 pounds.
  • suesue92
    suesue92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat and wait at least an hour before I head to the gym.. it may be worth the try.
    otherwise, just eat after :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I am with you. Coffee! I can get food into myself around 10am but before that it is a forced issue. I have tried everything simply because I know that breakfast is an important meal.....no luck here. I exercise later in the day in a large way because of this issue.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I exercise at least 4 out of 7 days, I do Jazzercise. My problem is I HATE to eat breakfast, especially before I work out. I have tried cereal, yogurt, toast, fruit. The only thing I want is coffee, it almost nauseates me to eat. Anybody else?
    I dont eat breakfast (or lunch for that matter) and train fasted. It has no catabolic effects on muscle mass or general health as long as your replenish with adequate nutrition post workout.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I was just thinking the same thing.. GEEEEEEZZZZ

At least they forgot to spout a load of mythical nonsense beforehand this time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    then don't eat before exercising. i usually only have coffee and a piece of fruit and maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter before a morning work out.

if you don't like eating breakfast, then don't eat it. there aren't any conclusive studies that prove that it is beneficial.

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/skip-breakfast/

And most don't leave long enough for the food to do anything other than sit in their stomach during their workout.