Favorite Stephen King movie/book?

Options

Replies

• bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think almost all of the visualized versions of his books are pretty crappy, save a very select few.

As for books, they're hit-or-miss in my opinion. I prefer the ones that are more realistic than science fiction-y, though I do like The Eyes of the Dragon. My favs would probably be Dolores Claiborne (sp?!), Misery, Thinner, Gerald's Game, and Needful Things.
  • alw141
    alw141 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love Herman Munster in Pet Cemetery...sometimes dead is bettuh.

Miniseries of The Stand was great

The Mist as a movie was creepy as hell and the ending was much more demented than the book's.

I still haven't gotten over the ending in the movie version of the Mist. I don't know why they did that but... ugh. Horrible.

The Stand is great. :happy:
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Movie: Shawshank Redemption

Book: Gerald's Game... hands down.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    For books, can I list the entire Dark Tower series? :bigsmile:
    If I had to pick a single book, though, then I'd go with The Stand (the TV miniseries is also pretty good...but the book is stellar).
    This!! Love the Dark Tower series! Insomnia was good, but I've gone through two copies of The Stand.:-)
    Movie....Hm. Loved the Green Mile, but I'd take one of his books over the movies any day.
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Loved these books:
    The Stand, The entire Dark Tower Series including the new book that I think is considered like book 4.5, It, 11/22/63, Under the Dome, Cell, Duma Key, Insomnia.

Loved these movies: Pet Semetary, Cat's Eye, Cujo (cheesy, I know) & Silver Bullet.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Movie-wise: IT, The Shining, Stand By Me, and The Green Mile.

For books, it would be The Green Mile.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Book: IT (Wayyyy better than the movie)
    Movie: The Shining
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    DREAMCATCHER!

Loved the book! Hated the movie!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Cell (which I'm re-reading right now), Rose Madder, Delores Claiborne, Dreamcatcher, and The Stand round out my favorites.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    my all time fav definately IT followed closely by needful things. Movie would be The Green Mile because i think they did an awesome job :bigsmile:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Dream Catcher? Did I miss something? What is that one about?
    So many good ones, it's hard to pick just one...The Stand, The Shining, Bag of Bones, Insomnia, It, Rose Madder, Rose Red....I loved them each and every one!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption.
    That's not a book. That's a movie.

My answer to the OP: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

It IS a book
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm a Dark Tower junkie. And The Stand.
    I don't think I've ever seen a movie/miniseries from one of his books that didn't totally suck, so I stopped watching. Just sayin, Molly Ringwald made me hate that character and now I can't get her out of my head when I read the book.
    And IT created my fear of clowns, I tried to watch the movie but couldn't get past the '5th grader' comedian *kitten* so never made it to the clown part!!
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption.
    That's not a book. That's a movie.

My answer to the OP: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

It IS a book

but its actual title is "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I liked the mini series they made of The Stand and also really liked the book. But I think his best work is one of his latest, 11/22/63...not quite horror, but really interesting.

I'm reading 11/22/63 now and I can honestly say I think its the best thing he's written in years.

Just finished reading 11/22/63.... It was his best book since the Stand in my opinion.

TV/Movies: I LOVE HAVEN!!! NUFF SAID!
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    the enitre dark tower series. can't wait for the movie!
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    the enitre dark tower series. can't wait for the movie!

If you're talking about the one Ron Howard was supposed to do, you're going to have a very long wait. That whole thing fell through.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    IT is my favourite movie/book.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What's the title of that story again where the protagonist must march among fellow walkers until there's only one left and the rest killed just because they had to give up due to exhaustion? I read it a long time ago and loved it and really want to re-read.

Also loved the Dark Tower-series.

Currently I am re-reading "Thinner" because I am much thinner than 4 months ago, although unlike the protagonist I have (hopefully) not been cursed by a gypsy.
  • lucyster92
    lucyster92 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Carrie, such an easy read and so much better than the film!