My cardio is seriously lacking in the ab department!

Options
Hey all! :bigsmile:

I do the 30 Day Shred every day and today is the first day I'll have begun the Couch to 5k program (woohoo!) My only issue is that while my calves, thighs and arms are getting stronger every day (glutes too), I am seriously lacking progress in my abdomen. My cardio does ab work but it's hardly enough, in my opinion, and I am never sore from it the day after (whereas when I first began the Shred a few months ago, it did make a difference - I guess I've outgrown it).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good ab workout regimen? Whether it be DVD (I know Michaels' has a Six Week Six Pack) or just a set of exercises, suggestions would be really appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Thanks guys!

Replies

• kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump. :bigsmile:
  • RunningMatt77
    RunningMatt77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    a good ab workout is a Boxers ab work out. Just go online and search out Boxing workouts for your abs
  • luvsbks
    luvsbks Posts: 51
    Options
    The only program that comes to mind is Tae Bo by Billy Blanks which is sort of a boxing one that the previous poster suggested. I am sure there are more current ones.
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you, but it is working for my core (major soreness), I lay leg lifts in bed. Lay on the bed and grip the head board. Raise legs in air and lower straight down, bring them up and lower to the left, come back up and lower to the right. After the first day I was feeling this the full length of my abs and the sides. I do this before I get out of bed in the morning and I don't even have to have my eyes open to do it. Good Luck on you journey.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you like Jillian, her 6 Week Six-Pack that you mentioned is a great core workout with plenty of cardio. It has two levels, and they're both tough. Level two in particular is cardio heavy as she has you doing most of the moves on your feet rather than on the floor - it's pretty fast-paced. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. It's a good one to work into your routine several days a week. :smile:
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Thank you everyone. :bigsmile: I will definitely look up those videos for this afternoon! (.. in fact, I think my mother has the Tae Bo one .. hmm)

Wanda, I've been doing leg lifts but I have no idea why it hasn't occurred to me to do them to the sides as well! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Amy, thank you - I love Jillian's videos and they've gotten me strong and to a point of actually having stamina and strength in ways I hadn't yet been able to accomplish! I'm glad to hear a positive review about her Six Week Six Pack, as I haven't heard anything until now. :bigsmile: I will definitely pick it up this afternoon to keep in my collection .. :love: :laugh:
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use you tube to find workouts for my absence, worth a try :)
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use you tube to find workouts for my absence, worth a try :)

Ugh, auto correct...meant abs not absence ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything specific for my abs... I just do heavy weight training that works the whole body.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way but your ticker says you are still 55+ pounds from your goal...you probably won't see any ab definition for quite some time. Your calves and some other body parts just don't carry as much fat on them as your stomach, thighs and butt so you so a difference much quicker. Your belly fat will obviously shrink as you lose weight but you most likely won't see real definition until you reach an athletic body fat percentage (<22%).
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I do Pilates and Yoga (Pilates is best overall for core) 4 times a week for half an hour and that has strengthened up my core nicely. I attend class during my lunch but there are all kinds of videos you can find on YouTube or to purchase.

Just look up v-sit or boat pose on Google (I just mastered it....though I can't hold it for long enough yet but I'll get there)......once you see that, you'll know what I mean :laugh:

I also incorporate several ab exercises into each warm up and cool down stage. Do that every time and in no time, your core will be strong.

Good luck!

PS - Strength training/lifting weights is the best overall.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way but your ticker says you are still 55+ pounds from your goal...you probably won't see any ab definition for quite some time. Your calves and some other body parts just don't carry as much fat on them as your stomach, thighs and butt so you so a difference much quicker. Your belly fat will obviously shrink as you lose weight but you most likely won't see real definition until you reach an athletic body fat percentage (<22%).

Oops, I kind of missed that you were looking for strength too! Sorry! Full body compound exercises are great...isolation such as crunches and the other stuff JM has you do in her vids aren't super useful in my opinion. Try some weighted squats and deadlifts and I guarantee you'll get a stronger core!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Completely outside the box - but try a good Yoga class and see if you can feel your abs have been worked then.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options

That is true.....but why start later after she loses the weight? She's right in thinking that now is the time to start building muscle.

OP: Strength train dear.....that truly would be the best for you.
  • dl68cooper
    Options
    The P90X ab ripper dvd will work your ab's/core tremendously. I completed 1 round of p90x, but always struggled with the ab ripper, it's pretty tough. It has some excercises that others have mentioned plus more. I think you can order or find the ab ripper dvd by itself, I've seen them on ebay before, for example.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options