Intimidated by the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    the majority of people at the gym are into what they are doing. they will only notice you if you make unusual noises or stink really bad

seriously, have a set idea what you will be doing there and dont walk around aimlessly
    ^This.

They will notice you... eventually. By eventually I mean after you've built a routine and you start seeing familiar faces in and out and they will recognize your dedication and consistency (or lack there of) and probably notice your progress well before you do. But for the most part, everyones in there to do their thing and go home. The people who are constantly people watching/judging clearly arent there to do work so forget them.

+1, i listen to my music so loud when i'm lifting I wouldn't hear the fire alarm going off in there, as do most of the guys there. The only time i really notice other people in there is when either:
    1. i know them and they or I want a quick word
    2. They approach me inquisitively
    3. We have a need for communication like to check if this or that is being used
    or
    4. You're doing something super off the wall and i just can't look away

And I lift with people I have arrested
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I go to the Wellness Center at the local YMCA. I had a regular gym membership but found myself using it less and less because I was going alone. By joining the YMCA, my 11 year old daughter goes to work out with me 3-5 times a week. It keeps me more motivated when I can go with her instead of sticking her with a sitter so I can go. At the same time, this allows me to teach her a healthy routine, something that was never done for me growing up. :)
  • JerseyPook
    Options
    Thank you for all of the confidence boosting!! I know you're right...I just have to get in there and do it and not worry about anyone else.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    its not high school ya twit

Yes...well, I do realize that...however, it's FILLED with high school kids and I feel like grandma going to water aerobics!!!

well i guess i just hate kids. Anyone younger than me can go jump off a bridge, half of them don't know their *kitten* from their head.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    This may sound rude, but it's intended to make you feel better:

No one there is going to give a **** about you. They probably wont even notice you. They are at the gym to work on themselves, not pay attention to some random person.
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The first couple of times I did weights, I went during off peak times with very little people there.. Once I became comfortable and confident, I'd go during busier times.
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    I think everyone goes through that initial feeling of not fitting in when they first start. I've been at mine just over a month now and at first I was like 'oh god everyone will look at me', reality is they're that busy doing their own thing they don't acknowledge you. The best thing to do is just walk in there with your head held high and remind yourself that you're changing your lifestyle for the better.

I don't like being there when it's packed out though and you have to keep looking over to see if benches are free and people think you're eyeing them up! Awkward!!
  • iheartbiglasses
    Options
    I used to feel the same. Now I'm like, hey..I'm here to get fit. This is ME time.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone. It's intimidating for most at first. For me, I find it helps tremendously if I come prepared with a routine so that I know exactly where to go and exactly what to do. It keeps the focus on me and away from everyone else (especially if the routine is kicking my @$$). Perhaps that's something you might like to try and see if it works for you as well. Best of luck! :-)
  • JerseyPook
    Options
    Agree with everyone. It's intimidating for most at first. For me, I find it helps tremendously if I come prepared with a routine so that I know exactly where to go and exactly what to do. It keeps the focus on me and away from everyone else (especially if the routine is kicking my @$$). Perhaps that's something you might like to try and see if it works for you as well. Best of luck! :-)

It is definitely my plan to have a plan!! I'm not going in blind...and I'm not a complete gym novice. So, that helps. I used to go all the time...but, I went with a buddy and THAT helped my anxiety. So, if I did it with her, I can do it on my own!!!
  • JerseyPook
    Options

It is definitely my plan to have a plan!! I'm not going in blind...and I'm not a complete gym novice. So, that helps. I used to go all the time...but, I went with a buddy and THAT helped my anxiety. So, if I did it with her, I can do it on my own!!!