Dumb about protein powder

Options

Replies

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    have either of you had weight loss with the BF?

I'm neither of whom you quoted, but I can vouch for Body Fortress not derailing weight loss - I used it almost exclusively during my "transformation year" (and still use it basically exclusively), went from around 27% body fat to around 10% body fat and 25lbs lighter.

For the taste and cost, I'd say it's a worthy product. Biggest influence on weight loss is going to be calories in versus calories out.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake nearly every morning for the past year. I like ON Gold Standard all natural whey Chocolate and Syntrax Nectar Vanilla Bean. I add unsweetened chocolate almond milk on a choc day along with wheat germ, pb2 , ice and protein powder into blender. Or I add almond milk (or unsweetened vanilla almond milk) to blender with vanilla protein powder,strawberries, a 1/4 cup yogurt if u like, wheat germ. Another is a green smoothie with almond milk, spinach, kale, protein powder or Greek yogurt which is high in protein, either a very little agave center or little honey, ice and blend for a different option. Refreshing, filling and satisfying. It works for me. :flowerforyou:
  • determined_01
    Options
    Most are pretty good if you make them with a blender, and frozen fruit.

I usually get Body Fortress from Walmart, in Vanilla, and Chocolate, then freeze bananas. Then I can mix up my shakes. Banana, chocolate peanut butter, mint, strawberry, chocolate cherry, apple pie, cookies and cream, rasberry, etc.
    YUMMO! Thanks for the info!
  • determined_01
    Options
    have either of you had weight loss with the BF?

I'm neither of whom you quoted, but I can vouch for Body Fortress not derailing weight loss - I used it almost exclusively during my "transformation year" (and still use it basically exclusively), went from around 27% body fat to around 10% body fat and 25lbs lighter.

For the taste and cost, I'd say it's a worthy product. Biggest influence on weight loss is going to be calories in versus calories out.
    Thats awesome! Thanks for the input!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Two that I've liked:

http://tryabouttime.com/

http://www.jayrobb.com/

Pretty much straight whey protein isolate with a bit of stevia for sweetener.
  • tandrea
    tandrea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great info. I am looking for the same!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I like GNC's Optimum Nutrition when mixed with milk. Not so much with water.
  • determined_01
    Options
    Any one use GNC lean shake or lean shake 25? Just went to the site and it sparked my interest!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I know that this isn't an answer to the question, but I just want to throw this out there.

Why are you looking for a meal replacement for breakfast? Is it because you think that it's better to eat breakfast? It's perfectly ok to wait until later to eat. Not eating right after you wake up won't hurt weight loss. If it's for another reason, then great.

That being said, I like the Body Fortress whey isolate that walmart sells, not the one that just says "whey protein." It has a lot of lactose. It made me bloat and have rancid gas!!
  • determined_01
    Options
    I know that this isn't an answer to the question, but I just want to throw this out there.

Why are you looking for a meal replacement for breakfast? Is it because you think that it's better to eat breakfast? It's perfectly ok to wait until later to eat. Not eating right after you wake up won't hurt weight loss. If it's for another reason, then great.

That being said, I like the Body Fortress whey isolate that walmart sells, not the one that just says "whey protein." It has a lot of lactose. It made me bloat and have rancid gas!!
    Yeah I know I DON'T HAVE TO eat breakfast but I'm currently in my final days of 30 day shred and in my second week of couch to 5k. Starting P90X in a week and continuing C25K and feel like I'm going to burn out if I don't adjust my macros accordingly. I'll be increasing my calorie intake and protein to get the results that I want....
  • determined_01
    Options

Yeah I know I DON'T HAVE TO eat breakfast but I'm currently in my final days of 30 day shred and in my second week of couch to 5k. Starting P90X in a week and continuing C25K and feel like I'm going to burn out if I don't adjust my macros accordingly. I'll be increasing my calorie intake and protein to get the results that I want....
    oh good to know about the lactose thing...thanks for the heads up!
  • Jusbshari
    Jusbshari Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use a high protein shake ( 30 gm) from Costco. has 160 cal 1gm sugar and low fat. I have one first thing every morning
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I like the flavor better with about 1/2 cup of fat free milk, for most, too. Some of the fruity ones, like apple pie, and orange cream, I will use juice, applesauce, or crystal light instead.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    my favorite so far is muscletech chocolate why isolate. I also have the body fortress and it isn't bad either. I take one scoop, 8 ounces of almond milk, a few ice cubes and blend in a blender. It is like a yummy milkshake
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I like the flavor better with about 1/2 cup of fat free milk, for most, too. Some of the fruity ones, like apple pie, and orange cream, I will use juice, applesauce, or crystal light instead.

I have been thinking about trying protein powder, but always thought you had to use it to make an actual shake -- that is, that you had to break out a blender, ice, and other ingredients and mix it up. I never wanted to do this, because it seemed like a lot of effort for a beverage.

Can you just add it to milk and stir? If so I might give it a try.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    After looking for a high quality and good tasting protein powder, I've come to use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla. It's naturally flavored and has no artificial flavors or sweeteners. It's made with whey protein isolates, which don't create gas like some other kinds of protein powders. I buy it online from AllStarHealth.com. This is the only protein powder I need because with vanilla you can mix in whatever you like for other flavors. For example, Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder or Peanut Butter, or Strawberries, etc.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress is pretty tasty. I really like Optimum Nutrition the best. ON has a lot of different flavors and they don't have all of the extra junk that some powders have.

I also like Optimum Nutrition. Cookies and cream isn't bad but I really like the chocolate. I mix it with milk.

Oh --- I forgot to mention that the place I buy from (Vitamin Shoppe) told me that I can return the powder if I really don't like it. That is the only reason I tried the cookies and cream flavor.
  • mattness09
    mattness09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I buy body fortress from walmart for $15. I also recommend signing up for GNC email, because you can get a lot of deep discounts on protein powder and other supplements.
  • mattness09
    mattness09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't use BF for weight loss, more for recovery after workout. However, I am losing weight, but I don't know if thats the cause
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I have been thinking about trying protein powder, but always thought you had to use it to make an actual shake -- that is, that you had to break out a blender, ice, and other ingredients and mix it up. I never wanted to do this, because it seemed like a lot of effort for a beverage.

Can you just add it to milk and stir? If so I might give it a try.

You can. I would recommend, at least a shaker cup, though. Sometimes it is hard to get the lumps of powder out with just a spoon. I also like to make protein puddings with it, by mixing it in sugar free pudding, and a molten lava cake: 1 scoop of whey, 1 egg white, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 2 packets of sweetener, 1 heaping tbsp baking cocoa, pinch of baking powder, just enough water to make it like cake batter. mix, then microwave for about 25 to 30 seconds, depending on your microwave, you want it still a little liquidy in the middle.