Polar HRM's: The FT40 and the FT7 suggestions?

Options
So I have narrowed it down to two different Polar HRM's. The FT40 and the FT7; any thoughts on the two, if you have either of them what do you like and not like has anybody by chance owned both?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Ft7, and would recommend it, easy to setup/use and affordable.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Another FT7 user here, As above easy to use, good mid range HRM.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump Curious too...
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I also have the FT7, the one thing I dont like is the strap. I am big chested but it has been working and keeping my heart rate so I can't complain too much. I was definitely entering too many calories using the mfp exercises. I feel more confident with it.
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    FT7 here and love it except the volume is not loud enough and there is no way to adjust it. But I really dont need the sound I just keep checking. I would buy one again!!! Hope this helps?
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have the FT40 and I love it. I have no issues using the chest strap (it's fabric and stretchy so pretty comfortable)

Set up is quick and easy and it works like a charm
  • viansa
    viansa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had an FT7 for a week now and love it. I was considering the FT40 as well. You can change the battery on the FT7 yourself and not have to get a jeweler to do it or send it in. That was the biggest deciding factor between the two for me :smile:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I too have the FT40 and love it. I wear the watch all the time and put on the strap before I go to the gym. I love it. I love that I can use different settings when using it, for example, I can watch just my HR and cals burned, or I can do the time with a little thingy at the top that show's a # sign for every hundred cals burned and when you get above the 50 mark it flashes telling you. or you can do it so it shows the cals burned, with the target hr zone above.

I've had no problems with my chest strap. It's comfortable and lately I have to keep resizing it smaller :)))

Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you will love it.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    FT7 here --... the pre-buying tip i paid attention to was this one has a user-changeable battery.
    i think they both use the same chest strap (very comfortable in my opinion) and if so both are supposed to be compatible with NikePLUS which i also just started using though I haven't configured it to recognize the Polar HRM yet
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    http://www.heart-rate-monitor-watches.com/polar-ft40-heart-rate-monitor.html
    personally, I like my timex for the price :) but thought this site might help in making your decision....
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have the FT40 and so does my partner. WE LOVE THEM!!! My favorite thing is that it tells you your target heartrate and then based on that tells you whether you are working in a fat burn zone (low intensity) or fitness zone (high intensity; cardio-heart strengthening).
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    I've had an FT7 for a week now and love it. I was considering the FT40 as well. You can change the battery on the FT7 yourself and not have to get a jeweler to do it or send it in. That was the biggest deciding factor between the two for me :smile:

You can change change the battery yourself in the FT40 too. I have the FT40 and can change my own battery. Both come where you can and cannot change it yourself. I always say to make sure you get one where you can.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference I see b/t FT40 and FT7 is the FT7 doesn't have "The Polar Fitness test measures your aerobic fitness at rest and tells you your progress".

If you have the money buy the FT40 off EBay (pricethumper was who I bought both of my FT40's from). I love everything about it.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    Yeah, I have to agree that the fitness test is one of the biggest differences of them all. You lay down for 5 minutes and it scans your body. It gives you a number on a scale that tells you how fit you are. Mine was low :0(. I am going to retest tomorrow since it has been about a month.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ft40!! love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I love it. The chest strap is comfortable and I've only lost sync with my watch once. I would do a comparison on the two models on the polar website.
  • HEBURTON
    HEBURTON Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!!
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just got the ft7 and i love it so far. The guy at the store was saying that the ft40 has a training program but if you don't need that then the ft7 is more than adequate. I don't need a watch telling me what to do so I went with the cheaper option.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    I just got the ft7 and i love it so far. The guy at the store was saying that the ft40 has a training program but if you don't need that then the ft7 is more than adequate. I don't need a watch telling me what to do so I went with the cheaper option.

The FT40 doesn't have a training program, the FT60 does. Man, I wish it did! lol
  • tytbody
    Options
    I love all your replies and it seems we that are purchasing this always seem to compare these two. They are so close in mechanics but for what the FT40 does, I'm going for it so I won't say, i wish I had that feature later. I do want it telling me what to do because I will quit when I feel like it. I'd rather have a coach there and also, I'm studying to become a personal trainer. I can use it for customers.