New bf' ing mom looking for other moms

Options
Hi! I'm 27, a new mom, and trying to get healthy. I thought I would loose weight with breast feeding, but it turns out that you really DO have to stop eating quesadillas and burritos every day! So here I am... 5 month old baby, still in my maternity jeans, and embarrassed to see friends. I have a super handsome husband who couldn't be kinder or more supportive but if I ever want to climb on top of him again (without depriving him of air OR inducing his GAG reflex)- I need to loose some serious weight.

We finally decided to get serious about our health. On Oct. 1st we started eating a mostly raw fruits/veggies/nuts diet. I feel SO much better already. I am very interested in meeting other moms/families on here who have figured out how to breast feed and diet/exercise simultaneously. My biggest concern is that I will harm my milk supply.

I would love to start this process by learning from others. Thank you for reading and hope to talk to some of you soon!

Replies

• AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't know ANYTHING about breasteeding but I just wanted to tell you that picture of your and your baby is sooo beautiful...

The pure happiness in your face is gorgeous...
  • o2bhaute
    Options
    Thank you!!! We are SO in love with him! When did you join?
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a mum of a 6 week old squidge and a 2 year old monster!

I am around 270lbs so i NEED to lose weight NOW

I also have a sexeh as you can get husband, who i want to wow with my amazing body someday soon!

I am breastfeeding, I eat mostly vegan and i am gluten-free

feel free to add me :) We can spur each other on :)
  • o2bhaute
    Options
    whhhaaaatttt where have you been my new mom friend I have been looking for you forever!!! lol yes I will totally add you and thank you!
  • princessbecca2433
    Options
    Hello I am a mom of 2 boys. I have a 2 and a 4 year old. Loosing weight can be rough sometimes. I started Visalus and am trying super hard to loose this last 40 pounds. I could always use some motivation that is for sure!
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I have an 8mth old who I am b/feeding and I also have a 2yo, 4yo and 6yo. I've just started back on the weighloss wagon (started on MFP when baby #3 was 8mth, over a year ago). I'd be happy to support you on your journey :smile:
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    whhhaaaatttt where have you been my new mom friend I have been looking for you forever!!! lol yes I will totally add you and thank you!

Yay! If you find your supply is affected, try fenugreek, you can have it in tea but its FOUL, you can get capsules or add it as a spice in food which is nice :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of baby weight breast feeding, I can't say y you are not. It is a special time in your life please do not spend it feeling bad about your weight. This time goes by so fast...enjoy it, be active, eat well and the weight will come off.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Hey there, I have an 8mth old who I am b/feeding and I also have a 2yo, 4yo and 6yo. I've just started back on the weighloss wagon (started on MFP when baby #3 was 8mth, over a year ago). I'd be happy to support you on your journey :smile:

You are super mum!

I plan on having a 4yo, 2yo and a newborn though :) But there we stop!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Lovely pic! I am mum to 2 monsters - a 16 month old and a 3 year old.

I put on loads of weight in my 2nd pregnancy, and I am now nearly the slimmest I have been for years, but it has taken a lot of hard work and exercise.

I did breastfeed, but I had supply issues (with both of mine) so mix fed, and only for 3 months. You can still eat healthily though, you just need to find things that are healthy AND fill you up. Porridge (oatmeal to you!) is good, and it's supposed to be good for milk supply too. Eat lots of protein.

You can exercise too. In the UK they do buggy fit classes, where you can take your buggy (stroller) and you run with it, do lunges using it, go to a park and do step ups on a bench, things like that. It's good fun. Swimming is good, aqua fit, lots of long walks etc.

Feel free to add me.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I breastfed both kids, lost weight (using this site) while breastfeeding my second, and beginning studying to become an IBCLC. You're welcome to add me whether for breastfeeding or weight loss support.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm a mama of three. I pumped exclusively for my now 9 month old baby. The two things I learned are: you have to feed your body, which means eating extra to account for breastfeeding, and it's very hard to lose weight while you're eating that much. I initially lost 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks after my baby was born (standard for my body), but then couldn't lose anything until I was done pumping. Granted, I was pumping 60oz a day and was needing to eat an extra 1200 calories on top of my regular amount.

But, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to lose weight if I were you. My pediatrician advised me not to cut calories until my baby was on solids, not because it would hurt my milk supply, but because my body needed the nutrition and energy. Make healthier food choices (more vegetables, less dairy, for example) but don't focus too much on calories.
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options

You are super mum!

I plan on having a 4yo, 2yo and a newborn though :) But there we stop!

Haha, not supermum! Just a little loopy perhaps :wink:
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I have an almost 4 month old and around the 3 month mark realized It was going to take more effort on my part to lose the last of the baby weight because the nursing alone just wasnt doing it. Nearly a month later and still nursing and seeing some pounds come off yay! MFP is forcing me to not only eat healthy (to stay within my calorie goal) but exercise more, all good things. It also always nice to add in the negative calories to your food diary for nursing (they actually have it listed in the search, just type breastfeeding and it will give you a negative calorie count). Feel free to add me for extra motivation and support!
  • dreamyearthmama
    Options
    Hey Mama!
    First of all, I love your sense of humor and that you are giving your baby the best! Breastfeeding is such an important part of giving your child what they need. I am also a breastfeeding Mom and working on losing weight. I did lose 50 lbs after I had my son; and I do know that producing milk for boys burns more calories than milk produced for girls, but every Mom has a different experience with weight loss and lactating. There are a lot of wonderful support groups out there for breastfeeding Mom's-check out the Leaky B@@b on Facebook (yes, it's spelled like that) and Respect the Breast and Peaceful Parenting.

I am new here and looking to adding like minded friends to encourage eachother on our journey. Best wishes to you and feel free to send me a friend request!

Nicole
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hello new mama! You and your baby are gorgeous. Your post cracked me up. I also have a super gorgeous full of muscle husband. We were so dammed sleepy the first few months post baby, we did not want to have sex anyway!

I was a lot older than you when I had my baby (almost 36) and it was HARD to lose weight. I am wondering when/if you have to go back to work? That was the hardest for me. When I had to work again, my life stopped -- everything after that day is a blurr for about 1 year. All I did was work, pump, sleep (rince repeat). My mid-wife was ok with me losing weight but I had to do it slower (about 1# a week) and I tried to get out and walk a lot with baby stapped to my body with a snuggly. I guess she was concerned with me dropping too much wieght fast because it might pull more toxins into my milk, etc. I did lose weight and then after a few years of working, I have gained a lot again. Now, it is trying to balance working and working out!

Best of luck to you!
  • o2bhaute
    Options
    Well, i just figured out how to find this post again! Everyone was so kind in their replies, thank you. Now that I sort of know what I'm doing I'll add friends. Thanks again and best of luck to everyone this year!!!
  • GraceTorino
    Options
    Hi ! I'm a 35 year old mom of 3.... Happily married and work full time....It is so hard to find time to exercise....and dieting is so hard....i really only need and want to loose 5 lbs and keep it off...and tone up my body...but it is proving to be harder than i had hoped!...with my crazy schedule...and crazy appetite sticking tot a diet is so hard.....but i am determined!....as of lately i had been having some tummy issues with food.... Eating is making me feel yucky!.... I tried "Myfitnesspal " App... To track my calories and food intake to get a better idea...of what i eat.... And i was shocked!!!!!.... I eat way too much carbs!!!.... Everyday...i was eating 75 to 80 percent carbs!!!!... Crazy.... So im takin control and changes things.... Today i started a strict 2 week No Carb diet...then after that i will introduce low carbs into my diet.... I need to minimize how many carbs i really eat ...im also doing some more light exercises everyday.... Im hoping that in a month's time i can not only loose the 5 lbs..and tone up but also learn a new way of eating that is healthier...and hopefully feel better too....anyone have any advice?.... Or support?......
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a breastfeeding momma. I am currently nursing my 11 month old twins. I have previously nursed my other 5 children. All my children are fairly close together (my eldest was 7 when #6&#7 arrived). I am currently at my wedding weight. It is a struggle each time to lose the weight, but it can be done! Make sure you eat enough to keep up supply. This website is nice to balance the enough calories, but not too much. Feel free to add me. :smile:

Edited to add my profile pic is me at this time last year about 29 weeks pregnant with the twins. I look a little smaller than that now.:laugh:
  • o2bhaute
    Options
    Gracie it IS hard! I was have tummy troubles too!!! Im sorry and i hope you feel better eating healthier :-) feel free to add me!